Considering a Ceriatone Plexi 51

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by What?, May 10, 2020.

1. What?

What? Well-Known Member

Info, manual, and layout is over here: http://www.ceriatone.com/british-style-plexi51-access/

Never having owned a plexi, I guess I'm wondering how useful those switching options would be to me. The manual says this about the general design:

Other than the circuit switching options, I think the PPIMV and buffered effects loop look like useful features, although I'm not sure what type of PPIMV this amp has, how good it will be for playing lower volume when required, and how transparent the effects loop will be. Another thing is that I haven't found any well recorded demos of any of the Ceriatone plexi style amps.

2. What?

What? Well-Known Member

If I end up getting this amp, I will also end up ordering a quad of Weber 1225's at a later date. I've been on the fence on doing so for a long time, but I have read lots of good things on that speaker at the metro forum.

3. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

Have you played one

4. What?

What? Well-Known Member

Nope, and I'm guessing that no one else here has either. I would be the guinea pig.

5. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Awful lot of switches on that mother but it sure is imo a great idea.
    Cork sniffers paradise.
    Ceriatone products have a very good rep.
    Would offer that you would not be disappointed. (I have not played thru a Ceriatone product)
    Didn't see the price of that beast though?
    BP

Trelwheen likes this.
  6. What?

What? Well-Known Member

If I get one it will be through Guitar Amps USA (shipping is included in the price). $1200 for a well-built handwired plexi style amp with switchable rectifier, PPIMV, buffered effects loop, and the plethora of switching options. http://guitarampsusa.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=61&product_id=175

But yea, it might turn out that I would do more cork sniffing than playing, might not like the PPIMV, maybe the effects loop is transparent or not.

BanditPanda, Trelwheen and Crikey like this.
  7. South Park

I would buy direct from Ceriatone . Something about this does not look right

8. What?

What? Well-Known Member

Search around. Other people talk about using them on other forums. It seems that they have some sort of deal worked out for taking U.S. orders.

9. BanditPanda

Southie may be right. Best to check with Ceriatone direct to see if they have an authorized dealer in the U.S.
    At 1204.00 for the assembled head is perhaps too good to be true.
    BP

10. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

It’s legit

Crikey and tce63 like this.
  11. What?

What? Well-Known Member

They are listed as an authorized dealer on Ceriatone's site: http://www.ceriatone.com/dealers-techs/

And yes, it does look to be a good deal for U.S. customers. I can understand the caution given how much other hand-wired amps cost.

BanditPanda and tce63 like this.
  12. South Park

That is a good price but it is not a complete amp . Tubes and shell are extra . When all is done it is around 1.600 dollars. It’s all good if it’s what you want .

13. BanditPanda

Amp Head II - $1,204
    (Fully working chassis installed in a head cabinet. Tubes included.)
    BP

Crikey likes this.
  14. What?

What? Well-Known Member

Hopefully that stuff is settled. And enough people have given nods across various forums on Ceriatone component and build quality that I'm not worried about that side of things.

I'm curious about any thoughts on the amp design. I'm typically of the mind that less is more when it comes to guitar gear. This thing has switches galore for stepping through the years of plexi changes and supposedly also covers the JTM50 circuit (the early one with tube rectifier). But it all looks to be cleanly laid out and might make for a good platform for exploring plexi style amp changes.

15. BanditPanda

Based on hand wiring and Ceriatone's known quality factor imo it's worth a shot.
    I don't know what the return policy is.
    BP

16. South Park

If that amp gives you the sound you want and keeps you from buying more amps it is worth the money .

17. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

If you want a master volume, you want a 2204 not a plexi preamp.
    You want the high gain preamp. 2 hole input.

18. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Buy from the usa guy, no problem at all. I did and he was great, ANY question you have he will either know or call Nik and call you right back. For your needs I would call Nik direct and tell him what your after, what you want and would expect. He will steer you right, maybe even a semi-custom amp, but you will get a first rate system. I like the modded Plexi line up, and man do they work good, but you may need something else. Call both guys first, ask a lot of question, they don't mind at all. If I can help feel free to PM me.

Trelwheen likes this.
  19. What?

What? Well-Known Member

What I have seen others mention using a PPIMV with a 4 holer is that they use it to knock off a bit of volume (not alot), before using any attenuation. That is what I intended to do. I also saw lots of mentions that a 2204 doesn't sound as open as a 1987. One of the main tones I'm looking for out of an amp is old school AC/DC clean'ish breakup (High Voltage) before they started adding a lot of gain to their sound.

I emailed Nik recently telling him that I was looking for an amp that would get the sound of a 1987. Talking to him is what got me looking at the 51.

20. What?

What? Well-Known Member

I meant to mention this before. If ordering from guitarampsusa, be sure that you want exactly what is being sold, nothing customized. If you want something cusomized, order directly from Nick. I had considered shortly after ordering having a switchable 2204 mode added to the Plexi 51, but Nick said that the deal with the lower price through dealers is that they get a discount due to taking any calls, emails, support questions, and him not having to do back and forth correspondence about customizations. So if you order an amp through a dealer, don't expect Nick to handle any of that stuff. But he was reluctantly still very accommodating and entertained the possibility of adding a 2204 mode and shot me a price on it, although it sounded like it was a hassle on his end figuring out which specific order it would have applied to due to not ordering directly through Ceriatone. In the end though, I decided to keep my order as is to find out what this already modded Plexi type amp will do. And it sounds like adding a switchable 2204 mode wouldn't be a huge deal if I want that later.

jchrisf likes this.