Connecting Mesa Mark Iv To Marshall 1960 Cabinets

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by ADZG, Apr 22, 2016.

1. ADZG

ADZG Active Member

Hi guys,
    Silly question but I can't find any info on this simple question.
    I just purchased a Mark IV and was wondering how to properly connect it to my marshall 1960a cabinet.
    Also I have spare 1960b cabinet so how would I also go about connecting the amp to both cabinets if i chose to do that.

2. clutch71

clutch71 Well-Known Member

You would be fine going from 8 ohm on the amp to 16 ohm mono running one 16 ohm cab. That is considered and acceptable mismatch.

For two 1960 cabs 4 ohm jacks on the amp to 16 ohm mono jack on the cab. Again not ideal but safe. Mesa cabs are always wired in 8 ohm.

3. JCarno

JCarno Well-Known Member

I don't know what your amp has for outputs or ohm selector or what ever but you're better off trying to match the ohms. I've never owned a Mesa.
    1-16 ohm mono cab=16 ohm out of amp.
    2-16 ohm mono cabs=8 ohms out of amp.
    Does the Mesa have a selector switch and 3 labeled outputs?
    I ran into a problem with the way my Orange DT is labeled in the back. It has 1-16 ohm out and 2-8 ohm out.
    I figured the 2-8 ohm meant 1-8 ohm each. Then I read the manual. The 2-8 ohm outs are for hooking 2-16 ohm cabs. I can use 1 of the 8 ohm outs for 1-8 ohm cab.
    Anyway, I ran 2-8 ohm cabs for about a week before I found out my mistake. There doesn't appear to be any damage done but I'm not a gigging musician and only ran it that way for maybe an hour a day for a week. Not sure if it was coincidence or not but one of my EL84s started to pop and crackle even when I wasn't playing. I got a new quad and all is good now.
    I'm not disagreeing with clutch. You do what you want. I'm just passing along my experience and what I've read. I'm no expert or tech of any kind.
    Good luck!! :)

4. chuckharmonjr

chuckharmonjr Well-Known Member

About as far south in Alabama as you can go withou
    Yeah the pop and crackle of an output tube was caused by stressing it running at 4 ohms.

5. clutch71

clutch71 Well-Known Member

6. ADZG

ADZG Active Member

Thanks guys! I appreciate the information.
    I only have marshall cabinets so I will just connect go from the MarkIV's 8ohm output jack into 1 cabinet (using the16ohm input jack).
    Thanks again! :)

7. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member

You could always try paralleling the two cabinets set at 16 ohms, using a Y speaker cable, to the amplifier's 8 ohm impedance output.

8. thegaindeli

thegaindeli Well-Known Member

Boogie amps handle 16 Ohm (via 8 Ohm out) just fine. I think you'll find it sounds best through a single 8 Ohm EVM (open-back or Thiele cabinet).