Connecting Cabinets to Studio Series Combo

Planetjimi

Reaction score
I have a 2525c. I have a 8 ohm extension cab I'd like to use in conjunction with the 16ohm speaker that is already in the combo. Can I use more than one set of speaker outs (safely)? Meaning, leave the 16ohm speaker plugged into the 16ohm out AND plug my extention cab into one of the 8ohm out. Thanks!

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2525c. I have a 8 ohm extension cab I'd like to use in conjunction with the 16ohm speaker that is already in the combo. Can I use more than one set of speaker outs (safely)? Meaning, leave the 16ohm speaker plugged into the 16ohm out AND plug my extention cab into one of the 8ohm out. Thanks!
Yes/No.
Plug the 16ohm into one of the 1x8/2x16 jacks (half OT load)
Plug the 8ohm into one of the 1x4/2x8 jacks (half OT load)

Planetjimi

Reaction score
I think I understand ... so each tap is the full load the transformer can handle. So if I'm using two taps, I would half load each one?

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I understand ... so each tap is the full load the transformer can handle. So if I'm using two taps, I would half load each one?
Yes.
What you originally described would be a double load on the OT.
This 2x half load method has been confirmed by one of the original Marshall amp designers as ok.
Numerous threads here on this exact topic.

Planetjimi

Reaction score
I did do a search. I only found variations of my question and wanted to be certain before I ruined anything. Thanks for your patience and help.

Latest posts