Comparing 26 amps! (SV20H, SC20H, JVM410H, DSL50, 2525H, JMP1, DSL20 etc.)

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Guitarjon, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Guitarjon

Guitarjon Well-Known Member

Hey guys!

I'll keep this short since the comparison itself is quite extensive. So I have 26 tube amps, 7 of which are Marshalls. Other amps include Oranges, Mesa's, Laney's, ENGL's etc. I've been wanting to do a comparison of ALL the amps for a while and I finally took the time to sit down and do it. It was quite an undertaking but I'm actually pretty excited about it.

So the idea is that you can compare all 26 amps with clean, crunch, rock and boosted metal settings. Both in a full mix and isolated. To me it's just a lot of fun to be able to hear all the amps side by side by this but I hope you guys find it useful and/or fun.

There is a lot of Marshall content in there, which is obviously a good thing ;) The Marshall amps that have been featured are the SC20H, SV20H, DSL20HR, 2525H, JVM410H, DSL50 and JMP-1 (through the poweramp of the DSL50). The cool thing about the Marshalls is that they really stand out when compared to the rest and they also seem to have very different and unique characteristics.

This could also be a good opportunity to compare the 4 different 20w Marshall heads to each other since they seem to appeal to the same people for obvious reasons. Hopefully this will help people who are trying to decide on which amp to get.

So here's the comparison. I would love to know what you thought and which ones were your favorites from this test. I love talking gear so I would be delighted to have you all here, just to talk about the things we love: AMPS!

Enjoy:

AndyP, JBA, BftGibson and 18 others like this.
  2. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

It's not a fair comparison because they used effects pedals and booster pedals, etc. You will never hear how the amp actually sounds using these methods.
    To make a fair comparison all amps should be played through the same speaker - with the same tubes - properly biased in all the amps.

Deerhunter1972 likes this.
  3. Guitarjon

Aside from the boosts I did not use any effects. If you want to hear the amps without the boost, just ignore the 'metal' segments. Also, all the segments were played through the same cab/speaker/mic sounds for each style. Putting the same tubes in each amps would have been impossible. Cheers! :)

tidbit likes this.
  4. KraftyBob

KraftyBob Well-Known Member

Wow - nice job. I didn't watch the whole thing but did check out several amps. I was surprised that, to me, many amps sounded very similar to each other. Cool video.

I have to respectfully disagree with AMS on the comparison setup. While I know you used the same IR for each different tone, not all amps sound good through the same speakers - which is why a lot of people are constantly swapping them. Also, if you were to buy the combo of some of these models, there would be a variety of speakers in the group. But for the purpose of this video It certainly made sense to use the IR's. Also, to have the same tubes doesn't make sense to me because the amps come with different tubes. That's what helps shapes their individual tone.

Thanks for posting this.

5. Guitarjon

Thank you! I made a sort of 'read me' section in the comments to address the fact that some of the amps might sound similar and there are a couple of reasons why that can be so. I totally understand where you're coming from :) Would love to know which amps you enjoyed the most (when you have time of course)

KraftyBob likes this.
  6. Sustainium

Sustainium Well-Known Member

Still making my way through the amps but wanted to thank Jon for the massive undertaking to make the comparison video.
    All your videos are top notch!

7. Guitarjon

Thanks very much! That means a lot! It's a huge relief that the video is now out and kind comments like these really help to keep me motivated, so cheers!

Sustainium and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  8. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

Good job!
    It was nice that you added those time stamps so we could jump around.
    You did a great job capturing the JMP-1. Although, you forgot to show the settings on that one :)
    Would love to hear you do a vid on just the JMP-1 but use different power amp sections. Like, use your SV20H power section for the classic rock/crunch tones and the DSL 50 for the higher gain stuff. For the longest time I have used my JMP-1 with my DSL 50 but more recently have been using either the SV20H or 1987X as a power amp. Definitely a noticeable difference between power amps used. BTW, just for fun try the Jubilee power section. It is even more scooped than the DSL!
    In other words, "Does a different power amp make a difference?" You betcha!

9. Guitarjon

You know what, that's a great idea!! I will keep that in mind for a future video. Thanks!

Mitchell Pearrow and Michael Roe like this.
  10. Michael Roe

Just noticed in your vid you have a "somewhat" un-orthodox way of picking...…….I'm good with that, I do it almost identical.

Guitarjon likes this.
  11. Shane Stevenson

Shane Stevenson Well-Known Member

Very nice video. To me, it’s a great shopping tool to use when trying to figure out differant ballpark amp tones. Lots of folks here do not have the chance to test drive all of these amps in one sitting. Thanks for huge contribution!

12. Sacalait

Sacalait Well-Known Member

Thanks for doing this brother! It could help a lot of cats looking for the right amp! Rock on!

13. kustombob

kustombob Well-Known Member

Great video and thanks for all the hard work. I know it's allot of work. I also posted on youtube, Most of the amps when playing with their distortion channel did sound quite close. You make all the amps sound dam good. I guess what I took from this is that if you think your sounds sucks its not the amp ' it's you not knowing how to play and use the amp properly. The Marshall DSL's get many bad raps but your video showed it can sound great. Did you do the Marshall Vintage amp or did I just miss it. Great job as always and your playing is very good. Do you mess with a Band or just like playing like many here. Thanks

14. Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers Well-Known Member

Holy shit Batman! :cheers:

Mitchell Pearrow, tce63 and Guitarjon like this.
  15. Guitarjon

Yeah, it has to do with the flexibility of my thumb. I've always played that way. Too me it feels comfortable. :) I do think it looks kinda weird when I see myself play in a video but as long as it sounds good I'm ok with it.

Thank you! The DSL50 especially sounded super nice to me, especially the rock riff. The DSL20 was also quite good but a little more fizzy and bright. I did indeed also do the SV20H Studio Vintage so it's definitely in there. I absolutely love how that one sounds in the low gain areas. Not that the high gain was bad but it just wasn't meant to be a super modern sounding amp anyway. So it shines for the vintage tones.

16. Michael Roe

I think another big thing you got across is how important a cab sound is to the outcome. The same player, guitar and cab but with different amps in between sound a lot closer than people think. If you did a vid with the same guitar and amp but every cab was different then the outcome would be much larger. Even changing a microphone on a cab can sound more different than using another amp.
    Another video idea?

WellBurnTheSky, tce63 and Guitarjon like this.
  17. Guitarjon

Yeah, that's what I did the last time but a lot of people complained that I used different IR's for each amp haha.

KraftyBob and tce63 like this.
  18. Michael Roe

No, I mean use the same amp but with different cabs.

tce63 likes this.
  19. Guitarjon

Sorry. Yeah, I definitely want to make something like that!

tce63 and Michael Roe like this.
  20. Guitarjon

So if you guys had to pick just one amp (doesn't have to be a Marshall) from all these amps based on the sounds in the comparison, which would it be? And also, if you had to pick one of the Marshalls, which one would it be? It's really interesting to me how other people percieve the sounds of my amps. I myself am very familiar with all the amps so I'm biased. You all are listening with super fresh ears so I wonder how much that also affects those decisions...