Combo as a Speaker Cabinet - unusual wiring

George Dickens

Reaction score
Hello folks. wiring problem

I am trying to figure out how to use a combo speaker for another amp. (switched)
Now in the past the .. ie the combo output goes to another cab and the internal speaker gets switched off when you jack in, easy.

This time however I want to switch off the inernal amp but use the internal speaker.
When the speaker is not being used by another amp Id like to unjack it and have the internal amp resume its duty.
Not very common I know.
I didnt want just to parralel the speaker and leave the SS amp off
and just use the speaker as is with the amp still hooked up as it would alter the impedance.

Is there a simple way to do this with a switching jack connection?
Any and all help is appreciated-
cheers!

Last edited:

PelliX

Reaction score
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you want, but basically you have (at least) two amps, one of which (at least) one is a combo, and you would like to use the speaker in said combo with another amp sometimes, right?

There are ways do this with a switching jack, or even some kind of Y-box, etc, but you said you would like to 'unjack' it for the combo to use its own speaker again. If you're already accepting the fact that you're going to have to physically insert or remove a jack plug to switch "setup", then why not just put a jack on the speaker of the combo? Plug it in to any amp you want (perhaps with a male <-> female cable between depending on how long the lead is).

Of course I don't know what amps you're dealing with, but most solid state amps don't have to be switched off in the absence of a load. This doesn't apply to all SS amps, but many.

If you have any further questions, could you let us in on what you're dealing with exactly? :)

junk notes

Reaction score
:hmm:
s-l300.jpg

+
51GPc16UBDL._SY445_SX342_QL70_ML2_.jpg

George Dickens

Reaction score
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you want, but basically you have (at least) two amps, one of which (at least) one is a combo, and you would like to use the speaker in said combo with another amp sometimes, right?

There are ways do this with a switching jack, or even some kind of Y-box, etc, but you said you would like to 'unjack' it for the combo to use its own speaker again. If you're already accepting the fact that you're going to have to physically insert or remove a jack plug to switch "setup", then why not just put a jack on the speaker of the combo? Plug it in to any amp you want (perhaps with a male <-> female cable between depending on how long the lead is).

Of course I don't know what amps you're dealing with, but most solid state amps don't have to be switched off in the absence of a load. This doesn't apply to all SS amps, but many.

If you have any further questions, could you let us in on what you're dealing with exactly? :)

thanks for the reply.
..I want to use the speaker in a small ss combo as an extension cab .
There is a switching jack in the combo already for an extension cab socan be used with another speaker.
This switch turns off the combo's internal speaker.
is reversing the tip leads a simple way to turn the combo into an extension cab?
This would remove the combo's amp from the speaker when it is switched .
Does the said speakers impedance change ? Will the amp using the now combo/ as a cab still see the 8ohm load of the speaker?
Or will thecombos amp effect the load.
It is sitting there unused but the grounds are still connected, the amp turned off or even unplugged.
Further would it be possible to use the combos amp if one wanted whilst the combos speaker is being used with another amp?
Not that one would need or want to, just a thought.

PelliX

Reaction score
You still haven't told us what amps you're dealing with... :rolleyes:

There is a switching jack in the combo already for an extension cab socan be used with another speaker.

So, let me guess - the SS combo has a speaker 'hard wired' in? And the extension cab jack disables it?

Does the said speakers impedance change ? Will the amp using the now combo/ as a cab still see the 8ohm load of the speaker?
Or will thecombos amp effect the load.

I'll put this as simply as possible: never ever connect the speaker outputs of two amps to each other, even if one if powered off. Bad things will happen. :)

There is no way to 'put an amp' in bypass so that you can connect a speaker out from another amp to it. You must detach the speaker in the combo from the current amp before you can operate it with another amp. Again, the outputs of the amps may never be connected to each other.

Of course, depending on how DIY you want to go, you could cut the wire from the amp in the combo to its speaker, slap on male and female jack plugs and be able to attach/detach it easily. Tons of ways of doing this, but it would be nice to know what we're dealing here, please.

Further would it be possible to use the combos amp if one wanted whilst the combos speaker is being used with another amp?

Sure, yes. Provided you take the points outlined above into account. I do lots of work with two amps simultaneously and do this kind of thing from time to time. Double check you patch it all correctly before powering on or taking off standby, etc. It's easy to make a mistake.

George Dickens

Reaction score
You still haven't told us what amps you're dealing with... :rolleyes:

So, let me guess - the SS combo has a speaker 'hard wired' in? And the extension cab jack disables it?

I'll put this as simply as possible: never ever connect the speaker outputs of two amps to each other, even if one if powered off. Bad things will happen. :)

There is no way to 'put an amp' in bypass so that you can connect a speaker out from another amp to it. You must detach the speaker in the combo from the current amp before you can operate it with another amp. Again, the outputs of the amps may never be connected to each other.

Of course, depending on how DIY you want to go, you could cut the wire from the amp in the combo to its speaker, slap on male and female jack plugs and be able to attach/detach it easily. Tons of ways of doing this, but it would be nice to know what we're dealing here, please.

Sure, yes. Provided you take the points outlined above into account. I do lots of work with two amps simultaneously and do this kind of thing from time to time. Double check you patch it all correctly before powering on or taking off standby, etc. It's easy to make a mistake.

"There is no way to 'put an amp' in bypass so that you can connect a speaker out from another amp to it. You must detach the speaker in the combo from the current amp before you can operate it with another amp. '

If you reverse the speaker + leads in the combo extension cab switch jack then just like the speaker, the switch should disconnect the original amp when you plug in, should it not?

This is what is there now.

https://www.singlecoil.com/docs/external.pdf

George Dickens

Reaction score
OOps, its a simple question. No need to yell.
sorry I think I posted this question in the wrong forum.
Ill leave it at that.

Go Loud Early

Reaction score
From a safety stand point, I would cut the speaker leads from the combo to the speaker about half way and solder on a male TR on the amp side and a female on the speaker side of the leads. That way there would be no possible way to have two amps hooked together. Want to use the combo speaker, unplug the combo amp output and hook up your other amp. Want to go back, just reverse what you did. In case you didn't know, normally the male pin points in the direction of signal flow and you would want to maintain that standard. Look how XLRs are normally done.

PelliX

Reaction score
"There is no way to 'put an amp' in bypass so that you can connect a speaker out from another amp to it. You must detach the speaker in the combo from the current amp before you can operate it with another amp. '

If you reverse the speaker + leads in the combo extension cab switch jack then just like the speaker, the switch should disconnect the original amp when you plug in, should it not?

This is what is there now.

https://www.singlecoil.com/docs/external.pdf

Hi, the PDF outlines adding a speaker out... Although there are creative ways to work around the problem, I still think the simplest solution is the most reliable - using jack plugs to be able to detach the combo's speaker. I call it traintoilet engineering - the simpler something is, the less likely it may be to break down. :)

It's no skin off my nose, but why not clue us in as far as the amp concerned? We're not going to chase you out of town with pitchforks for having a Fender/VOX/Orange/Peavey/etc, you know... :kiss:

TassieViking

Reaction score
There are a few options, I think it is best done with an extra Jack Plug.
It can also be done with just a 3 position on-on-on switch,
but then you can only use the speaker OR the amp at the same time. Combo Speaker Wiring.png

Latest posts