Code412 200 Watt Cab ???

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Erik2018, Dec 3, 2017.

1. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

The "07 - 17" on the bar code serial number sticker is most likely the build date.

Oddly enough, Japan market amps are all labeled in English. Even the not-for-export amps made by Japanese companies in Japan for Japanese consumers. I wouldn't be surprised if that's true throughout Asia.

And if your cab was actually meant to be sold in another country, it could have been intended for Japan rather than Viet Nam. (Japan is the second largest guitar market in the world.)

2. Erik2018

Erik2018 New Member

So when somebody from another country purchases a CODE412 where do they buy it from because Marshall says its a 120 watt cab with 4 30 watt speakers ? at least on their website

3. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

I don't know how this works, but many manufacturer's websites display things differently in different countries.

For example, Canadians see Fender's USA website but they can't see the USA- only features. (Unless they use a proxy ISP that spoofs the website into thinking they're viewing from the US.)

Marshall may have a Japanese language website that's the default for Japanese ISP's. While most Japanese know enough English to recognize "treble, middle, bass, etc", for more complex things like advertising and operating manuals they'd want the Japanese language.

4. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

Along the same vein, Fender Australia has its own website that only shows the products available in Australia (which includes some Fender Japan products not available in the US).

There are several European Fender websites all showing different things.

5. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

6. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

Xeizo, what's the date code on the bottom of your serial number label?

7. Erik2018

Erik2018 New Member

Wonder if they produced some 200 watt cabs then decided shorty there after to change the speakers in them to 30 watt for marketing reasons to save money or idk and never reflected the change on the website. I guess the real questions is what was the release date for the product altogether vs the date the 120 watt cabs were produced because supposedly all of the Code412 cabs are made in vietnam so it seems either they were line screw ups on the line or a bad communication between Marshall and the people over there producing the cabs.

8. xeizo

xeizo Member

RLW59 likes this.
  9. xeizo

xeizo Member

Btw, these looks very close in appearance to Celestion Rocket 50 speakers, which they probably are, useless for valve I've heard but pretty good for modeling as they have a fairly flat freq response for the cab sim to work.

10. Erik2018

Erik2018 New Member

Dang Marshall got everybody freaking confused wow not cool.

11. Erik2018

Erik2018 New Member

12. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

That Jensen's magnet is a lot bigger so it's not exactly the same speaker. Does look like the same frame. Six ribbed spokes. (Eminence frames look similar but they're all USA made.)

The Code speaker's magnet looks about the same size as the Celestion Rocket 50, but that has the standard Celestion frame with 4 smooth spokes.

13. Paul6550

Paul6550 New Member

Anybody knows what the cabs themselves are made of? Would they be a reasonable platform for testing speakers / mods? Or are they just the usual bland, poorly made what you see is what you get?
    Thanks

14. Cammie838

Cammie838 New Member

I'm pretty sure they're just made of crappy MDF.
    So yeah, just a poorly made cab. I was gonna get one for my 100h, but I have a 2064 cab dated 1973 with G12t75's in it and it sounds immense with that cab.

15. Mrmadd

Mrmadd Active Member

Great questions. It would be nice to discover the actuual speaker type and characteristics. I have the 100 watt head, but not any matching cabinet.
    Seems to me that this modeling amp requires very specific tuned or flat response cab to work properly. I have tried with some cabs that are here, and results are very different from cab to cab.

Anybody have any successful cabinet pairings with the Marshall Code 100 to suggest?
    Thanks

fitz288 likes this.
  16. fitz288

fitz288 Apprentice Fermi's Paradox Analyst Silver Supporting Member

I have the Code100H & 212A (and the 25C).
    The 2 speakers in the 212 are 50w 4ohm (series wired to 8ohm) specifically made for the Code.
    They are flat response, as all the "voicing" is in the amp modeling to reproduce the various cabs in the programming.
    I've never tried the head on any of my other cabs for that reason.
    So, if you want an uneducated opinion on a cab for the Code100H, I'd say get a Code cab.

17. Mrmadd

Mrmadd Active Member

I think you are correct about the need for a reasonably flat response cab. I have tried 2 of the 4 holers sitting here.
    The angled cab sounded aweful. The straight slant cab sounded significantly better. MG series.
    I like the head, it has lots of interesting tones. For practice and studio recording in line this setup is good for now.
    I have used the headphone out for recording. I figure I am getting the exact programmed sound this way.
    The MG 4 holer using the 100 watt head is not quite as bassy as the Code 50 is with it own speaker. Slight improvement of some of the patches IMO.

I know this site seems to be more for tubers, but I am surprised at these amps. They don't sound bad, considering it is a pile of microprossing computer boards with a transistor amp and speaker attached.
    It is interesting to page through all the versions of Marshall classic amps reprsented in the Code programming.

They may not be very good for live band setups but sure are a lot of practice fun at tolerable volume levels.

fitz288 likes this.