>

CODE: 25 vs 50

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by crossroadsnyc, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Oldpunk

Oldpunk Well-Known Member

Yep, times have changed. The old sales model of making people wait can turn into a disaster in today's instant gratification day and age.

2. stock_hippie

stock_hippie Well-Known Member

50 CODE combo, when it comes out.

3. Ghostman

Ghostman Well-Known Member

The old sales model, you didn't see a product until it was out on the shelves.

4. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer Well-Known Member

Exactly.

This will sell. It has Marshall's name on it, and a modeling amp that supposedly and convincingly emulates many of the most classic amps in history.

Yeah, people will still buy it. The guys that say they're not going to wait, will be replaced by those that walk into the GC one day and this is sitting next to a Line6.

:shred:

5. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Im in for a 50 if it sounds as good as I think. How can you not for that much dough??

6. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    Is it my wife? :ugh: :naughty:

7. big dooley

big dooley Well-Known Member VIP Member

her last name is drake... makes total sense, aint it?

8. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

Dude, I was looking this up the other day, but couldn't find any video of the woman singing / yelling … I want to see / hear it!

9. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    I'll post it tomorrow after I wake her up at 3am tomorrow morning :scream: :cool:

10. stock_hippie

stock_hippie Well-Known Member

Exactly Im in for a 50

11. big dooley

big dooley Well-Known Member VIP Member

http://youtu.be/_KfuoojlFVY

12. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

13. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

14. blues_n_cues

blues_n_cues Well-Known Member VIP Member

just a heads up- the 25 & 50 DO NOT INCLUDE the footswitch according to the Marshall website.
    https://marshallamps.com/products/amplifiers/code/

the optional 4 way for all amps is $80 @ AMS.
    http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-MAR-PEDL91009-LIST

15. Martin L

Martin L New Member

Im planning to carry a Marshall Code on a plane. I decided to be the 50 but, is it a good idea? :dude:

16. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

The 50 is quite large to fit on a plane. The 25 is tiny considering the 10" speaker. It only just fits. The 50 on the other hand is significantly bigger than the 12" speaker.

CODE 25 13.38 x 13.77 x 8.46 inches

CODE 50 17.3 x 20.8 x 11 inches

You can see them both together in the pic below.

[​IMG]

Martin L likes this.
  17. TKB

TKB Member

I chose the 50 watt because I was just in a band using a Valvestate 20 watt for practice. It had a speaker and JJ preamp tube upgrade and I found that with a loud bass player (it was a trio) and a drummer with an acoustic set it was marginally loud enough and my leads needed a boost as well. If you are sure this will not be used in a live situation then the 25 may do, but if you are serious about your playing I believe you will be in a situation where you wish you had at least a 50 watt version. As far as the whole "tranny doesn't sound like a tube amp" thing, I totally disagree. Look on the web with pro musicians and top producers doing comparisons and when they are not told told if it's a solid state or tube they will guess and half the time they are wrong! If you listen to Randy Rhoads on crazy train it's hard to believe that's a Marshall tube head. That's about as tranny sounding as it gets. By the way...I'm a Randy Rhoads fan but I'm just trying to get a point across. I upgraded from a Marshall JCM2000 DSL (tube) to a Mesa Boogie Rectifier (tube) to this Code 50. The Mesa hasn't been turned on since I got the Code. And just for the record, the recordings you are hearing on this site of the code are recorded via USB but the actual speaker gives a much warmer tone. I realize the solid state hate going on and understand it. If I owned $10,000 worth of tube gear I would look like a tool admitting I was wrong by saying a $250 solid state can do the same thing. I believe it can...and has...welcome to the CODE. I posted a picture so you can see its size compared to a guitar and it's only 28 LBS! Rock On.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  18. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

I would definately get a 50 if the size is ok. Like TKB said. It sounds good and a a lot warmer in person than most of the recordings you see/hear on youtube etc. The reason I brought up the size is carry on the plane. Weight wise the CODE 50 is surprisingly light despite it's size. 28.6lbs or 12.9kg

TKB likes this.
  19. Mavrim

Mavrim Member

I know this is an old thread, but wanted to add to this discussion!

I wanted the head version, but have no need for 100 watts for home practice. So I planned in getting a secondhand code 25 because I wanted to remove the amp faceplate panel and convert it into a mini head using a gutted lead 12 cabinet. I ended up getting a code 50 for $148 total with shipping. Code 50's panel is too wide to fit into a lead 12 cabinet as planned. Amp sounded great, but I noticed a fizzy sound whenever I was playing the low E string singly or in a chord. I saw a code 25 listed and got it for $130 total. I sold the code 50. Surprisingly, the code 25 sounds better to me than the larger code 50, go figure. I will add an external speaker jack and see how it sounds with other cabinets. Not sure if I want to remove the panel to make a mini head, as this sounds good as is.

Antmax and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  20. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

There were a couple of firmware upgrades, unless you upgraded it there's a chance the 50 had an older firmware. My Code 50 was unuseable the first 6 months, a combination of glitches in the firmware mixed with buggy android app.

The stock 50 speaker is a bit boomy too with odd EQ. It often sounds like it's trying to be a 4x12 cab in a small box and doesn't quite cut it. Sounds much better as a slave effects unit line out to the return in another amp with decent speakers.

I am also thinking of converting it eventually. There are a bunch of head cabinet makers on ebay, though they get expensive if you want more than just the bare wood to cover yourself.