>

CODE: 25 vs 50

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by crossroadsnyc, Feb 13, 2016.

1. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

Well, the first CODE decision is upon is: 25 vs 50

While my primary interest is in the 100w head, I'm not going to be able to hold out, so I'm planning on getting a combo version to tide me over for a while … question is, which one to go with? I know some of you have already placed your orders, so what made you decide to go in one direction or the other? Right now I'm kinda leaning toward the 50 given the larger speaker … but literally, as I'm writing this sentence, I'm starting to wonder if maybe the 100w 2x12 might even be a better idea than the 100w head in the long run? I wonder how the head will sound w/the cab sims turned off and just plugged into my 4x12?

This is really just mental ************, but it's nice to be excited about having a decision to make w/a new amp.

2. SonVolt

SonVolt Well-Known Member VIP Member

I'll take YJM with an Ax-FX in the loop for $500 Alex.

3. 4Horseman

4Horseman Well-Known Member

If you must, get the 50w combo. That 100w head is cheesy looking to me. Maybe if you're a teenager it's ok, but I can't picture a guy playing an R9 through one.:ugh:

4. crossroadsnyc

I'd be inclined to get the Kemper over the Axe-Fx, and will likely do so this year, but these CODE amps look like a lot of fun. Like I mentioned in another thread, if it sucks, well, I'll just gift it to someone here who wants one. The early reviews sound to me like they'll be worth every penny (and more).

5. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

I'm trying a 50 - 12" speaker, extra output power as it IS SS output. Not quite a 50w tube amp!! Looking forward to it, sucks that the footswitch is Sept??? :mad:

6. Ghostman

Ghostman Well-Known Member

25. The main feature of this amp is direct in modeled recording. Aimed at the home enthusiast, I can't imagine mic'ing up the 50 watt combo, especially since the speaker is designed to be as transparent as possible to the emulated cab/speaker selections. I would imagine there would be very little usable application to use the amp in a home studio setup and mic'ing the speaker. Direct in.

If you plan on gigging with the CODE 50, I'd be hard pressed to see this thing hold up under a few trips to a gig. I think Marshall came up with the idea of gigging with this amp as an afterthought.

"uhh, can you gig with it? Uh. Um... uh yeah sure. Sure you can. Yeah, totally."

:ugh:

7. crossroadsnyc

What are the exact differences between both? You can throw in the 100w for the sake of discussion if there are differences there as well.

8. blues_n_cues

blues_n_cues Well-Known Member VIP Member

I can wait for the 100c since the optional F/S won't be out until then anyway.

if I had to choose between the 25 & 50 I'd take the 50 simply because it's only $50 more.

25c-$200
    50c-$250

9. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom >>> Moderator <<< Staff Member

CODE50 = 50 watts & 12" speaker
    CODE25 = 25 watts & 10" speaker

otherwise, the cab size is a little different to accommodate the larger speaker. They are both extremely light. Both have the same features & function, although, the 25 has 1 less knob, so the 1 knob has a dual function. I don't remember if it's a pull out for function 2, or if it's a push toggle...

But, that's all the differences...

CODE100 will have an extra output & an insert & is 100 watts. The combo might have a 1x12 & a 2x12 version, maybe only a 2x12. Other than that, the functionality is the same...

10. Oldpunk

Oldpunk Well-Known Member

Along with a larger display and control panel on the 50 as well.

I wanted the 25 but the speaker size, wattage and display/panel on the 50 for 50 bucks more sold me. I do dig the smaller, lunchboxy look of the 25 though.

11. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

For me its a 50.

$50 for a bigger display and 12"speaker for the extra low frequencies plus a little more punch is a no brainier. Even if it is just a practice amp. I doubt I will be gigging any time soon, but I do want the best sound for the money.

I wonder if the speaker for a modeling amp will make it a half decent bluetooth speaker for backing tracks.

12. crossroadsnyc

Hmmm, having dual knobs, a larger display, as well as the 12 inch speaker makes the 50 sound like a much better deal to me right now.

13. Rocktane

Rocktane Well-Known Member

I was contemplating the 25 vs. 50 myself. I was thinking I could keep the 25 within reach of my TV chair, due to it's smaller size, like I use my THR-10X now. However, with the Gateway app, I can place the larger 50 farther away, out of reach, and still control everything. Also thinking I could make a little headshell and cab, utilizing the 12" speaker if I felt the need for a fun little project.

14. Ghostman

Ghostman Well-Known Member

Now that I noticed the display differences, the 50 is probably the best bet.

Why oh why did they use mini USB?

15. crossroadsnyc

That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking … something to plunk down right next to the couch w/in arms reach.

16. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

I'm looking at band practice and the odd small local venue, nothing major. I would hope it would be decent for that. I hope....

17. Nik73

Nik73 Active Member

This is what really appeals about the 50w Code for me. I love my 6100LM and JVM HJS, but in my house I can't use them late at night. At the minute I use a Line 6 Amplifi for that role and it's very good, but not amazing. I'm hoping the Code 50 will stop me feeling like I'm settling.

18. Msharky67

Msharky67 Well-Known Member

I keep thinking about it and I feel I would get the 25. Here are my reasons.

1) Somewhat wide range of tones but keep feeling like it needs more than 14 models. Like the different cabs though.
    2) It has USB and line in which I would love to record direct and have those tones.
    3) Have tone settings for many styles AC/DC, Joe Bonamassa, Slash, etc.. at your finger tips.
    4) Affordable over anything else

Reasons not to
    1) Limited amps and unused FX .
    2) No FX loop for own FX.
    3) Little resale value.
    4) How well do the amps and cabs sound alone with no FX. Stock amp.
    5) No tubes equals sterile sounding
    6) No updates adding more models as others claim they can be.
    7) Marginal build quality resulting in something failing and no way to fix it.

How would the tube purist as myself would take on these. I just know how a good tube sounds and it is hard to recreate that digitally. What if they took the AVT technology and put in together with the code. Maybe it would have helped with that. The resale value bothers me. Why couldn't they just build a processor instead of glorifying it into an amp. I have always pondered getting a processor but felt for the same reasons as this not to get one. I'd rather save up more and get something else like the DSL40c or something. I am still looking for other options to compare before I do decide to get something.

19. dreyn77

dreyn77 Well-Known Member

no look! comeon! go back to basix.
    the wattage is nothing to do with tone, it's just telling you the size of the sound.
    so if you want to play super quietly most of the time, the 25 is the way to go. it will scale down the sound to really low levels and still offer some volume power as well.

the hundred watter really is TOO LOUD for most situations when you get the amp up in EQ power/ brightness.

Volume power will be set most of the time from 0-2 on the knob setting. 80% of the time.

so if it's gonna sit at home 25 watts is plenty. maybe the 50 watter.
    if it's going to shows with you then it's 50 watts you should be looking into.
    etc...
    don't fool yourselves.

20. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I want a head but I have no need for 100 watts so I was considering the 50 and if I really like it turn it into a head. I do wish they came up with a more classic looking panel layout to go with its classic looks.