ClassicTone Transformers By Magnetic Components *Sponsor*

Discussion in 'Retail Row' started by Alex, Sep 2, 2010.

1. ClassicTone

ClassicTone Member

Hi RickyLee,

It is 120V in North America?

The OT for the DSL100 is already available and can be purchased from our distributor Triode Electronics as follows:

http://store.triodestore.com/40-18055.html

Thanks for your interest in our ClassicTone transformers!

ClassicTone By Magnetic Components, Inc.
    www.classictone.net

2. MM54

MM54 Well-Known Member

I get at least 124 out of my wall anytime off-peak. It's never below 123. Old equipment meant for 117 isn't real happy with me :hmm: (Neither is the old PT I have from a Philco that's wound for 110 primary :p)

3. ClassicTone

ClassicTone Member

Well.... ours are typically rated and will be rated around 120V for North America. As most everyone knows and even is mentioned here, it does vary a little and can vary by a few percent typically.

4. RickyLee

RickyLee Well-Known Member VIP Member

LOL

Riverside CA USA . . .

OK. It ranges from 123VAC to sometimes just over 125VAC. That is why I was tinkering with running the VariAC at 115VAC on most of my older amps for quite some time. But bringing a VariAC to a gig is not a very good idea. And then the times I have checked voltage at various gigs/bars ect. it would usually be lower towards 120VAC.

5. ClassicTone

ClassicTone Member

My engineer contacted the electric company and was told that it is 120V + - 5.83 percent.

6. MM54

MM54 Well-Known Member

5% of 120V is 6V, so 125 is easily within their spec :hmm:

7. RickyLee

I will be purchasing both these transformers for a Ceriatone 2555 build, and was wondering if anyone can give me the 40-18069 power transformer B+ spec's? My MAINS run at about 124VAC average, so I am wondering where my EL34 plate voltages will be aprox? I am hoping or would like to have this 2555 running at 460V or less on the EL34 plates. Or is there another model of 100W Classic Tone that delivers a lower secondary HT voltage?

And another question is regarding the heater filament windings amperage rating: Will this 40-18069 power transformer be able to 4 12AX7's/4 EL34's over the more common 3 12AX7's/4 EL34's?

8. RickyLee

OK. I found the power transformer spec sheet.

:D

And I am seeing two HT taps - a 380V and a 330V. So it looks as if there's an option to go with a lower B+? And I see this has a beefy 10A heater winding.

Nice . . .

:)

9. ClassicTone

ClassicTone Member

10. MM54

MM54 Well-Known Member

Damn, that is a nice PT :eek2:

If I need something that robust in the future, I know where I'm getting it now :cheers:

11. RickyLee

Heheh, yeah. I am already licking my chops thinking about a few other possible build ideas much less a 2555 with this PT as well as that new OT . . .

12. plexilespaul

plexilespaul Well-Known Member

hi
    what would you recommend a model number output transformer replacement for a jcm 800 100 watt amp?
    thanks

13. Hollowbody

Hollowbody Well-Known Member

Hey Classic:)

I want to start a new project.

I'm going to build a stripped down 50 watt amp with a simple preamp section and simple eq. Why simple? Because I'm new at it.

I have an output transformer that I had pulled from another amp and will be perfect for what I'm doing but I will need a choke and a power transformer.

This project is neither Marshall, Fender or Vox but it does use an EF86 like a Vox and 6L6 like a Fender and the OT I have on hand was designed for a Marshall. I'm not trying to make a frankenstein, that's just how the project is turning out.

So my question is, for something like this what Classic Tone products (PT & choke) do you think would work for this application?

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  14. plexilespaul

bump

15. ClassicTone

ClassicTone Member

Hi Avivoni,

There are really two good options for JCM800 100W amps from the ClassicTone line that will work well.

The 40-18026 is meant as a replacement/upgrade for the original Marshall JCM800 OT. It has the 1.7K primary and 4/8/16 Ohm secondary like the original. Unlike the original, ours is vintage constructed, paper layer wound to give it more of a Plexi tone. Here's some additional information on this as follows:

Marshall 100W Output Transformer for Plexi, JMP and JCM800

Another option would be our 40-18072. It features a slightly higher 2.2K primary with the same secondary. The 40-18072 is a larger, beefier constructed OT and has a wider bandwidth. This will probably require the drilling of 2 extra chassis holes since it is larger than the originals. It also features the best available grain oriented, M-6 steel. This is a good pick for modern, high gain style amps. See following for more info:

ClassicTone Project Style 100W Output Transformer, 2.2K to 4/8/16 Ohms

Thanks for your interest in our ClassicTone transformers!

www.classictone.net

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  16. ClassicTone

ClassicTone Member

Hi Hollowbody,

Let me check with my engineer for his advice on this. :hmm:

I'll get back to you soon.

www.classictone.net

17. plexilespaul

thanks i will order the tranny but which is the better transformer???
    cheers

18. ClassicTone

ClassicTone Member

Hi Avivoni,

The better of the two transformers would be the 40-18072 since it has the best available M-6 grade steel. It is larger, beefier and has wider bandwidth than the 40-18026. If you want, in my opinion, a significant upgrade to the JCM800 tone, the 40-18072 is a good choice......again, this is just my opinion.

The 40-18026 is also a bit of an upgrade as well if you want to change the tonal qualities of your JCM800 to more of a classic, vintage Plexi tone. It is also a bit cheaper than the 40-18072.

I hope this helps.

Classictone By Magnetic Components, Inc.
    www.classictone.net

plexilespaul likes this.
  19. ClassicTone

ClassicTone Member

Hi Hollowbody,

I want to get back with you on your upcoming 50W build power transformer and choke choices. For the power transformer, we would suggest our 40-18041 or 40-18073. See the link for additional information as follows:

Fender Power Transformer, Vibrolux, Vibrolux Reverb, Tremolux, 022723 & 125P26A, 120V

Fender Tweed Bassman & Super Style PT, 120V, 8087

If you do not need the 5V rectifier winding, then we would suggest our 40-18005. See the link for additional information as follows:

Fender Power Transformer, Bassman Heads, Bandmaster, Concert, 120V

Please keep in mind the above power transformers are laydown style mounting and your chassis will require a cutout hole to mount the power transformer. The specifications for the power transformer cutout hole is on the part pages on the links above.

For a choke, we would suggest our 40-18003. See the link for additional information as follows:

Fender Choke, 125C1A & 022699, 90mA DC, 4 Hy

Again, these are just suggested items based upon your brief description. We do not know exactly what you are trying to achieve and what exact specs you require. Please check the specifications of all of the above suggested transformers before you purchase them to make sure these suit your needs.

Thanks! I hope this helps! :) :fingersx:

ClassicTone Transformers By Magnetic Components, Inc.

20. TheLoudness!!

TheLoudness!! Active Member

Anything for the TSL??