ClassicTone Transformers By Magnetic Components *Sponsor*

Discussion in 'Retail Row' started by Alex, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Joey Voltage

Joey Voltage Well-Known Member

I just want to send my sincere gratitude towards Joe Janisch, and Mark Sacketti for working with me these past couple of months , and hearing out the DIY community/tweakers/builders..... and mostly for introducing two new transformers into their line,

the 40-18069, and the 40-18072

These are by far some of The most robust replacement/scratch build transformers on the market! (I mean it they have some very heavy duty steel reinforcements!) I would without a doubt put them up against the $300.00 + offerings of some companies.

The 40-18069 is a monster, and is rated for 500ma dc on it's hv secondary, with multiple secondaries to suit just about any purpose, and the 40-18072 is a super Beefy Marshall Ot, with a thicker laminate stack, and has the capability for reproduction of a wider flatter bandwidth.

2. TwinACStacks

TwinACStacks New Member

:) So Joey and Classic, You guys based the OT on a Dagnall C1998? At least that is what the info implies.

Fantastic Xformer, BTW.

Classic, I'm sending You all the pics of the AC30 surgery, You pick out what you need.

:):) TWIN

3. Joey Voltage

Twin,

Kinda, it has the same interleaving/ winding pattern, however it uses m6, and has a bit wider of a stack than the original c1998- it's physically larger than the c1998, and it has a slightly higher reflected primary @ at 2.2k so it should work well, and interchangeably with most commonly used valves, and has a pretty robust current rating per side... it was really designed to be not only perfect for high gain applications, but as a utility ot for most any 100w application. If i were to sum it up It's really the Ivan Drago of Marshall type ot's

4. TwinACStacks

TwinACStacks New Member

:) Cool Joey. I would expect nothing less from your Technical Wizardry.

When you install it do you have to Yell: Adrian?

:cheers::cheers: TWIN

5. ClassicTone

ClassicTone Member

Twin....thanks so much for the AC30 pics! :dude:

ClassicTone By Magnetic Components, Inc.
    www.classictone.net

6. ClassicTone

ClassicTone Member

Joey,

Thank you so much as well! You really know your transformers and electronics! It has been a pleasure working with you on these great designs. :rock:

Thanks again sir!

www.classictone.net

7. barbaradishon29

barbaradishon29 New Member

thanks everyone for sharing your information but i am still confused about magnetic components.

8. JCT Audio Designs

JCT Audio Designs New Member

Hey there Classictone, I have heard some great things about your transformers and can't wait to try a coupe. Just a couple of things.

First the 5150 combo is a high gain tube amp using 4 6L6 output tubes.

Second I have always wondered what is the diffrentce in the transformer design between the 100 watt pelxi OT and the 100 watt JCM 2000 or 900 OT? Since the both interface 4 EL34 tubes to the speakers, how do they differ? I am thinking about building my own multi channel amp and am trying to decide what OT to use so I would like to know how they differ. Thanks!!

9. JCT Audio Designs

Hey there Classictone, can't wait to use your transformers. I have a question for you. What is the diffrence between the 100 watt JCM 900, 2000 OT and the 100 watt plexi OT transformer? As they both are just interfaces between 4 EL34 tubes to the speaker, what is the difference. The reason I am asking is I have a couple of amps I may swap out transformers on and I am designing my own multi channel amp and I am trying to decide which one to use.

Thanks

10. Joey Voltage

I should Let Joe Janisch answer since you directed it towards him, but the difference is really just retrofitting/mounting. One is an X mount, and the 2000/900 is retrofitted z mount for the particular mounting foot print in those amps. The winding scheme/pattern is the same, So if you are scratch building the amp, and drilling your own chassis, I would use the Plexi/JMP/JCM800 X mount, since it will be easier, and doesn't require a huge cut out in the chassis.

11. Joey Voltage

Don't give me credit, most of it belongs to you, and your engineering team for making it happen, and within a specified budget.

I must say, everybody who has received these new units so far has been ecstatically Impressed with them, and I hope to organize more group buys in the future.

12. ClassicTone

ClassicTone Member

Hi JCT,

Sorry for the late reply to this as I have just returned from vacation.

To answer your questions, our JCM900/JCM2000 OT 40-18055 is a little different size than the JCM800/JMP/Plexi OT 40-18026. It uses 1 1/4" steel laminations (based on the center leg of the lamination) as opposed to the JCM800/JMP/Plexi OT 40-18026 which uses 1 1/2" center leg steel size.

The most important difference as Joey mentioned is that the JCM900/JCM2000 OT is laydown or Z mount style and will fit correctly in an existing JCM900/JCM2000 chassis with the chassis hole cutout to fit and mount the OT. The JCM800/JMP/Plexi OT is upright or X mount style and may not fit in an existing JCM900 chassis without modification. The same goes in reverse for the JCM800/JMP/Plexi OT.

The winding interleaving configuration of both OTs are similar but not exactly the same.

I would use the JCM900/JCM2000 in the appropriate chassis it was meant for and the JCM800/JMP/Plexi OT in the proper chassis it was meant for as well since the are both pretty similar in construction to each other other than mounting and lamination size.

I hope this helps answer your questions. :fingersx:

Thank you! :)

Joe Janisch
    ClassicTone Transformers By Magnetic Components, Inc.

13. ClassicTone

ClassicTone Member

Hi Joey,

Thank you so much for everything Joey! :dude:

Yes...I would be more than happy and honored to work with you again on some new transformer ideas if there is some demand for them for a future group buy. :fingersx:

Joe Janisch
    ClassicTone Transformers By Magnetic Components, Inc.

14. JCT Audio Designs

Joey, Classictone thanks for your reply, thats what I wanted to know.

15. Joey Voltage

Why mess with perfection? I meant more buys with the same stuff.:fingersx:

16. TwinACStacks

TwinACStacks New Member

:) Joey/Classic Build us an AC30CC Power Trans. (extra tap for LV).

*sigh*

:):) TWIN

17. ClassicTone

ClassicTone Member

Hi Joey,

Yes...I would be happy to work with you on future group buys! :)

www.classictone.net

18. ClassicTone

ClassicTone Member

Hi Twin,

We have no immediate plans for replacement/upgrade PT for the AC30CC2.

Who knows....Maybe in the future.

www.classictone.net

19. RickyLee

RickyLee Well-Known Member VIP Member

I have a HUGE request if you guys decide to come up with a new design for a power transformer retro for the DSL/TSL JCM 2000 amps. It would be totally awesome to have a power transformer with the modern MAINS Electrical Service Provider 125VAC primary we see here in North America. What I am getting at is to spec the PT to give aprox. a sweet 450VDC after rectification and as well to supply 6.3VAC on the heater filament supply and a robust 70VAC on the bias supply windings - all with an expected 125V feed to the primary.

:D

My DSL100 and TSL100 all run high on their heater filament voltages - aprox. 6.9V. And then their is my gripe on the bias supply voltage that can not get high enough to run other options of power tubes that need the higher grid control voltage's. And then to get one last wining gripe in, my plate voltages for the EL34's are close to 500V - and of course the screen voltages are beyond spec. for the modern production EL34's/6L6's ect.

I would think this could be a huge selling point for ClassicTone, no?

:fingersx:

Can you guys PM me for purchasing an output transformer for my DSL100 as well?

EDIT: I should first ask, Is this new design output transformer for the JCM2000 available yet?

20. American Viking

American Viking Well-Known Member

125VAC?
    Where do you see that?