Classic Tone/Magnetic Components closing.

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by JP2036, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Fusedbrain

Fusedbrain Active Member

LOL! Yeah C1998 OT, I fat-fingered that one. Thanks for catching that! :cheers:
    That Metro OPT is just killer. It's used in a lot of the Friedman 100watt amps as well.
    Amp Parts Direct has 100watt Heyboer OPT's, but it doesn't look like they have THAT one.
    The output leads have a very distinctive cloth type insulation that I don't see in the pics on the APD site.

2. Fusedbrain

Fusedbrain Active Member

:dude:
    I hope it's something simple and an easy fix!

3. KraftyBob

KraftyBob Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Me too :) I think it’s something in the bias circuit (it’s a cathode biased amp) as the voltage didn’t change when I went from a 220 to 500 ohm resistor. It stayed at about 50v when it should be in the low 20’s.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  4. Gene Ballzz

Gene Ballzz Well-Known Member

Its so sad that no one has seen fit to buy into/purchase this company and continue its operation. Maybe its not as profitable of a concern as we might assume? Of course there's also the possibility that government help for Covid related closures may have "softened the blow" of needing to close the doors on an already marginally profitable business.

On the other hand, one might think that a company like Mercury or Heyboer could take over theoperation model and expand their own business. It is interesting though, that I've heard that Heyboer has recently added some offereings that are pretty darned close to the Magnetic Components/ClassicTone units, including similar part numberings?

Really Too Bad! They Will Be Missed! OCICBFOS!
    Gene

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
    South Park likes this.
  5. Fusedbrain

Fusedbrain Active Member

I was wondering if Boutique Amp Distribution ( the guys that manufacture Friedman amps, among other things ) would step in.
    Those guys just spent a lot of time and effort with CT developing tranny's for their Soldano SLO v2, and now their kinda screwed.