Choosing another amp in 50W or a premium DI/IR unit?

V-man

Reaction score
Hypothetical: You have two 100W JMPs: a MV and a NMV, and you have one Captor X.

They serve your needs well with the exception of no FX loop capabilities. You have the option to save for EITHER a HW clone in 50W (your choice, MV or NMV), OR a Boss TAE, which provides an on-board loop.

The former option gives you 3 amps, (2 of which give you the Marshall flavor in 50w and 100w) with the 50W you chose being the sole FX Loop platform, all of which share the lone Captor X.

The latter option gives you only the 2 100W amps you started with, but in addition to each having a dedicated DI/IR/Load box, the TAE allows you to use the FX Loop for EITHER of the 100w amps, so you can experiment w either/both the MV and NMV varieties. The cost of the TAE pretty much = the 50W HW clone amp with FX loop added.

Taking the “backup amp for gigs” advantage off the table, which makes more sense: having an additional 50W amp, with only the 50W amp having FX loop capability and all sharing one DI unit, OR having FX loop capability for BOTH 100Ws and dedicated boxes for each?

Which do you choose and Why? If the former choice (3 amps, which variety [NMV or MV] and why).

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I have three 1959 Superleads and a 2203 and a Power Brake.

I'd opt instead to have Metropoulous zero loss effects loops installed in at least one amp. For about 75 dollars plus installation fees, there's no better bang for your buck and it fixes the only "problem" with either a 1959 or 2203.

I'd get at least two loops. One goes into a 1959, one goes into the 2203.

V-man

Reaction score
I have three 1959 Superleads and a 2203 and a Power Brake.

I'd opt instead to have Metropoulous zero loss effects loops installed in at least one amp. For about 75 dollars plus installation fees, there's no better bang for your buck and it fixes the only "problem" with either a 1959 or 2203.

I'd get at least two loops. One goes into a 1959, one goes into the 2203.

Installation of the loop in either 100W amp is NOT an option for this.

If the loop option for any/all varieties of amp is prioritized, it MUST be via an equipped load box, NOT by modifying one/either/both 100W amps.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
If that's a restriction you choose to live with, so be it. None of my amps are so pristine and collectible that I would not put a 100 percent reversible FX loop mod into any of them. And the Metro loop can be installed in a totally reversible manner in a 100 watter if you choose to lose 2 of the 4 speaker jacks.

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The TAE is pricey but an incredibly useful and cool piece of gear. I use mine every day pretty much. The reverbs, boosts and delays are great

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Hypothetical: You have two 100W JMPs: a MV and a NMV, and you have one Captor X.

They serve your needs well with the exception of no FX loop capabilities. You have the option to save for EITHER a HW clone in 50W (your choice, MV or NMV), OR a Boss TAE, which provides an on-board loop.

The former option gives you 3 amps, (2 of which give you the Marshall flavor in 50w and 100w) with the 50W you chose being the sole FX Loop platform, all of which share the lone Captor X.

The latter option gives you only the 2 100W amps you started with, but in addition to each having a dedicated DI/IR/Load box, the TAE allows you to use the FX Loop for EITHER of the 100w amps, so you can experiment w either/both the MV and NMV varieties. The cost of the TAE pretty much = the 50W HW clone amp with FX loop added.

Taking the “backup amp for gigs” advantage off the table, which makes more sense: having an additional 50W amp, with only the 50W amp having FX loop capability and all sharing one DI unit, OR having FX loop capability for BOTH 100Ws and dedicated boxes for each?

Which do you choose and Why? If the former choice (3 amps, which variety [NMV or MV] and why).
Look for a Bad Cat Unleash or similar product for an outboard effects loop.

Anand Mahangoe

Reaction score
I went for this Kool Amp : MarvellI
I do have an endorsement deal with it but even without I would have bought this amp !
2 channel, 50W with a true bypass FX loop (tube) and an even greater Attenuator built in so you can have 2 volume settings for your rhythm - lead. When I played it with a 2x12 creamback cab, The volume could go so that that we could easily talk and it sounded like a background guitar without loosing its great power , fullness ...so no need to fully crank the amp to get great sounds on low volume....of course, I play with a Suhr reactive load box IR at home, recording and live so the amp is cranked anyhow fully and huge sounding....

Latest posts