Chibson Les Paul:

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
I try to avoid anything MIC, especially counterfeit. It's impossible to avoid some things, but I'll be damned if I'm not trying my best! My wife & I always read the labels and have no problem putting something back and finding an alternative - even at a higher cost.

I don't care what anyone thinks of that. I have my reasons and I'm sticking to them.

YMMV :2c:

PowerTube44

Reaction score
Let me be totally blunt about it: Fuck the counterfeiters and I'm not feeling much more charitable toward those who would seek to buy a counterfeit guitar. It goes beyond just a cheap price for something that may look OK from a few hundred yards away, it's something to do with the morality of the thing.

Counterfeiting is THEFT. I have a very low opinion of thieves.

I understand your feelings, but let me clarify something. This guitar, once it arrives, will NEVER leave my possession. If I decide I don't like it, selling it is NOT an option. Because even if I make it clear that it's a counterfeit, the next person might not be so honest. Once it's out of my hands, I no longer have control of that. So if it totally sucks, I'll either stick it in storage or hang it on the wall as a decoration and call it a lesson learned.

I also will never give it away. I see it as a replica of the real thing, and the last thing I'll ever allow is to have it hanging in a pawn shop somewhere listed as a 1961 SG for $2599.00. I will seriously smash it to bits before ever letting it leave my hands.

Having said that, let me also say this. I'm not into Gibson. I never have been except for a very brief period back in the 80's when I thought I wanted a Les Paul (long story). Therefore, I would never spend the money for a 1961 SG or even a reissue. Therefore, Gibson isn't out anything. And if I were into Gibson, I would play nothing but the real thing.

I'm into Jackson and Carvin/Kiesel mostly. For that reason, I would never buy a fake Jackson or Carvin/Kiesel, and there are plenty of counterfeits of them out there.

One other thing... if for some crazy reason I were to totally love this guitar, then at some point I'll break down and buy the real thing, which I wouldn't have done otherwise.

Does that make sense?

George Dickens

Reaction score
I think Counter feiting is only theft because some politician/lawyer a long time ago made it that way so his brother could have a monopoly,
as a diterrent to others so and his family aquire and hoard much wealth.

PowerTube44

Reaction score
I totally think counterfeiting is wrong. But there is such a thing as a replica. I don't see any harm in buying a Chinese (or other) fake as long as it's never passed off as the real thing.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
for me, I'd buy one, for, say $100 or less, just to use as a prop. For instance, in a photoshoot where it might get destroyed for the effect of the shoot. Like performing in the rain, or underwater, in the pool, or smashing it...

I mean, who, in their right mind would buy a brand new $3,500 guitar, just to destroy it?

like this:

ZWc.jpeg

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
for me, I'd buy one, for, say $100 or less, just to use as a prop. For instance, in a photoshoot where it might get destroyed for the effect of the shoot. Like performing in the rain, or underwater, in the pool, or smashing it...

I mean, who, in their right mind would buy a brand new $3,500 guitar, just to destroy it?

like this:

ZWc.jpeg

Wish I had your self control!
I can not resist the urge to plug the Chibson into the a Marshall...
Next thing I know, hours have passed by, and the volume has slowly creep up to 11 !

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I'd cheerfully take the job with US Customs that gives me the pleasure of hacking the headstocks off of all illegal knockoff imports the moment they reach the border. Let me use a dull axe. And if I should strike a little low, say around the 12th fret, so much the better.

I'd burn a Chibson in a bonfire without a moment's hesitation or remorse. Or any other illegal Chinese ripoff knockoff.

Sapient

 
Reaction score
wd.png I buy from China everyday, but don't you. When it comes to you, I am the moral better.

pedecamp

Reaction score
Wish I had your self control!
I can not resist the urge to plug the Chibson into the a Marshall...
Next thing I know, hours have passed by, and the volume has slowly creep up to 11 !
If you have $500 to spare then go for it otherwise you'll always be wondering. Just know the pictures posted on their site are real pictures not what you'll be getting. Like I said youll pay $300 for a guitar that needs $200 of work to make it playable, then you'll have a playable mediocre LP at best, its cheap junk. Wait, didnt you have a thread saying you like cheap guitars, then youll love this Chibson then! I just got a Mustang in the mail from overseas it took about 45 days for delivery.

PowerTube44

Reaction score
If you have $500 to spare then go for it otherwise you'll always be wondering. Just know the pictures posted on their site are real pictures not what you'll be getting. Like I said youll pay $300 for a guitar that needs $200 of work to make it playable, then you'll have a playable mediocre LP at best, its cheap junk. Wait, didnt you have a thread saying you like cheap guitars, then youll love this Chibson then! I just got a Mustang in the mail from overseas it took about 45 days for delivery.
If you were to put your hands on the parlor guitar I bought a little over a year ago, you would think otherwise. I'm telling you, it arrived perfectly in tune, has super low action without me ever adjusting the truss rod, saddle, or nut, and it's beautiful.

Sure, it can be a crap shoot as to what you get, but the Chinese are indeed making some great guitars these days.

PowerTube44

Reaction score
Let me also toss out something else... If I were a Gibson fan, which I'm not, I would NEVER buy a used one. Never. Why? Because they've been faked since the early to mid Seventies, and even the "experts" can't always tell them apart from the real thing.

If I were to ever want a Gibson, it would be brand new only and from an authorized Gibson dealer. See the thread on here about the used Chibson at Guitar Center. And guess what? It's now been sold. When I looked at it right after it was posted, it was listed at $1999.00. That means that someone just unknowingly paid two grand for a FAKE.

lespaul339

Reaction score
Let me also toss out something else... If I were a Gibson fan, which I'm not, I would NEVER buy a used one. Never. Why? Because they've been faked since the early to mid Seventies, and even the "experts" can't always tell them apart from the real thing.

If I were to ever want a Gibson, it would be brand new only and from an authorized Gibson dealer. See the thread on here about the used Chibson at Guitar Center. And guess what? It's now been sold. When I looked at it right after it was posted, it was listed at $1999.00. That means that someone just unknowingly paid two grand for a FAKE.

All the ones I've ever bought I've bought brand new because of the very reason you said. When I'm dropping that kind of cash on a guitar I want to know it's the real deal.

PowerTube44

Reaction score
All the ones I've ever bought I've bought brand new because of the very reason you said. When I'm dropping that kind of cash on a guitar I want to know it's the real deal.
Smart thinking.

I also want to toss out another concept. Let's say that a guy has wanted a Les Paul for years. He pays $2500.00 for, let's say, a 1998 Les Paul. Then he's told that it's a fake ("See? The knobs are in the wrong place. The logo is tilted wrong. The serial number is in the wrong font," etc...)

By the time he learns this, it can no longer be returned to the store. He's really pissed because he'd dreamed of this guitar for years. He just didn't have the expertise to spot the fake.

So he really has three choices:

1. Shut up and play it, knowing that it's a fake.
2. Go after the store with a lawsuit when they won't refund his money.
3. Try to pass it off as the real thing and sell it to someone else.

I was in a pawn shop several months ago and they had a Fender Yngwie Malmsteen Signature Strat. I asked to see it. The scalloped fretboard was a different feel for me, but it seemed to be very well built.

HOWEVER... The nut was plastic, not brass, and the pickups were that AliExpress brand (can't remember, starts with an "M") instead of DiMarzio.

They were asking about $1100.00 for it. Within a week, it was gone.

The saddest part is when some poor sucker buys such a guitar and then joins a forum like this one. He now learns that he's bought a fake.

It happens all the time.

DaDoc

Reaction score
Let me be totally blunt about it: Fuck the counterfeiters and I'm not feeling much more charitable toward those who would seek to buy a counterfeit guitar. It goes beyond just a cheap price for something that may look OK from a few hundred yards away, it's something to do with the morality of the thing.

Counterfeiting is THEFT. I have a very low opinion of thieves.

Thank you! Agree 100%! :thumb:

DaDoc

Reaction score
I try to avoid anything MIC, especially counterfeit. It's impossible to avoid some things, but I'll be damned if I'm not trying my best! My wife & I always read the labels and have no problem putting something back and finding an alternative - even at a higher cost.

I don't care what anyone thinks of that. I have my reasons and I'm sticking to them.

YMMV :2c:

I'm with ya on that Joe!

Too bad everyone isn't..It could turn things around for the better!

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I agree. No counterfeiting should exist.

But since it does, buyer beware.
more & more, the counterfeiting is getting into the mainstream marketplace...

But, that's because we allow it in other places, such as the Chibson. What I mean, is, that a good percentage of consumers have accepted it, as a low price alternative.

Now, you have sites like WISH, that advertise on social media, & offer stuff for a fraction of what it costs the legit mfgr's to produce.

For instance, I'd always see Marshall headphones on there, for around $30, whereas the Marshall™ branded headphones are around $100.

On facebook, I get ad after ad about some technology, or other good, that I could use in everyday life. Lately, I've seen a bunch of stereo equip. Like turntables selling new for less than $100. When I do a search on the turntable, I notice that one goes for $8,000-12,000.

Then I see another item, that is $69, but, the real deal doesn't sell for less than a few hundred dollars.

Hell, I just saw an ad for a 20 piece Dewalt tool set for $99

https://duoraface.com/products/dewa..._NgMrwy-_WttvRJba2SAJ4gYNT30qsjEYyufnUNuPaWw8

a633ddbc0011ffa33ddb5c01bad5361589814de2_1000x1000.jpg

yeah right...

either it's 100% scam, or fake goods (counterfit)

El Gringo

Reaction score
What folks should then do is get an Epiphone as it's parent company is Gibson and with some upgrades your in the ballpark at a more affordable price point . Very similar to the Made In Mexico Fender's which are very well regarded by all , and the beauty is at a more affordable price point .