Chasing that beano tone origin amps?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Steelerd, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Steelerd

Steelerd Active Member

Hi everyone hope we are all well as can be in these crazy times :)

Posted a couple of years back looking at the origin 5 an at the time ended up with a Vox Ac10C1 which has been cool for learning Shadows stuff on my Strat on the rare occasion I got to play unfortunately we ended up loosing our family company just before all the madness happened so looks like i'm gonna have a bit of time to actually learn to play some more guitar stuff an I've been trying to learn all your love off the beano album along with the goal of Steppin out n Stormy Monday just for a bit of background as to what I'm trying to do. Getting a half decent ish sound from the ac now with my lefty epi les paul still very much a beginner but really enjoying the journey :)

Budget is on the lean side but I am fancying a Marshall, home playing in the bedroom, I was wondering if since I initially looked anyone else has had or played an Origin 5? maybe compared to the 20? The other option I was thinking of was some sort of Plexi Pedal for the Vox but I would like to get a Marshall if possible. any opinions are welcome :) an I'm sure lots of you have probably chased an approximation of that tone which is all I'm after doing is to get in the ball park.

Would the Origin still need a pedal infront of them to get close ish?

How do the 5 and 20 compare at lower volumes?

Thanks in Advance.

2. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

I have no real experience with the 5 watt
    But my 50H smashed the gas for the 1987 , your best bet IMO is the 20, it will get you in that ballpark your looking for.
    I do not regret my purchase at all ,, as a matter of fact I purchased a second one to pair them up together.
    Cheers
    Mitch

3. fitz288

fitz288 Apprentice Fermi's Paradox Analyst Silver Supporting Member

I've never played a 5, or a plexi for that matter, but I do have an Origin20H on a pair of V30s.
    It'll get some dirt straight in when its cranked, but I get great conversation volume level classic rock tones with a Boss SD-1 in the front end.
    Only assuming, but I'd bet that on a budget, an Origin5C and an SD-1 will get you in the ballpark.

4. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

:agreed:
    I agree
    The 20 watt is what sold me on the 50.
    Thanks

5. Steelerd

Steelerd Active Member

Thanks for the replies Mitch Fitz appreciate you taking the time to reply :) how do you find the dsl1 compared to the origin fitz if you dont mind me asking :)

fitz288 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  6. fitz288

From what my ears tell my brain, my DSLs (1H & 20H) have a completely different base tone than the Origin.
    I know that amp settings, pedal settings, and guitar pickups can all combine to shape your tone towards what you may want, but the starting point is different.
    Like comparing Led Zeppelin to Metallica.
    As far as the DSL1H, it's a toy compared to the DSL20H.
    edit: I like my G15MS better than the DSL1H
    If you are looking for budget plexi, go Origin + SD-1.

There are tons of threads here about all of these amps for some other opinions.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  7. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I agree about the Origin20. It’s got 20,..3,...and 1 watt options, plus if you’re thinking combo you’ll get a 10” speaker in the Origin20, compared to a 8” with the Origin5.

For me a 10” speaker is the minimum.

8. Steelerd

Steelerd Active Member

Thanks Fitz n Scozz appreciate the replies :) Does seem like an Origin is the way to go. I hadn't actually thought about the head version was just looking at the Combo's but that's a good point.

9. fitz288

If you can, go play a few of these, and some others.
    Like I said in my edit/afterthought, my little solid state Lead15 stack is a great play at home amp.
    When I put the ME-80 board in front, I can make that little rig sound like almost anything I want.
    You don't need tubes for good tone, and I think they loose that tube magic at low volume.

MarshallDog and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  10. C-Grin

C-Grin Well-Known Member

Get the 20. This :D is me every time I play mine.

11. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Well-Known Member

Origin with Barber Direct Drive Compact sounds close to Bluesbreaker tone.

Maggot Brain likes this.
  12. 93studiolite

93studiolite Member

I have the 20c and love it, makes me smile every time I play. I did change the speaker to a 10” Greenback though.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  13. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain Well-Known Member

Here you go! A perfect video for you!

Also I can get pretty close with my Vintage Modern 2266, my Lovepedal JTM OD and my Ibanez AX120. I can get it with the 2266 alone but the JTM pedal alows for that drive & brightness of the JTM45 "Bluesbreaker" at more of a bedroom volume.

The Origin 20 is on my want list but I highly suggest you look into the Vintage Modern 2266C if your chasing JTM45 tones on a budget. I've seen them as low as $600 and less than a year ago missed a matching half stack sell for $1,100. The amp is based off the JTM45/100, the higher wattage solid state rectified JTM45. It will be closer to the genuine voicing as it too uses KT66s powertubes like that era of JTM45s and Super 100s. You can find a ton of information on them on this forum alone. They are in my opinion one of Marshalls greatest vintage voiced amps ever and were overlooked upon initial release. They are discontinued and still extremely affordable for what they off... Oh yeah and they are Made in England unlike the Origin.... Just had to give you a heads up.

14. Steelerd

Steelerd Active Member

Thanks guys really appreciate you all taking the time to reply! That video was really brilliant :) I'm in the UK so not seen many people selling the Barber pedals, seen the boss an the love pedal though I'll have to check those out! Ill definitely check out those vm amps I'll do some reading on past threads sounds interesting!

15. Kim Lucky Day

Kim Lucky Day Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I had an Origin 20H and I do believe with a minimum amount of pedals (perhaps even just a good boost like the TC Spark) you could get a reasonably close Bluesbreakers sound. Not sure about the Origin 5, though.

16. Steelerd

Steelerd Active Member

Thanks Kim that's cool! Gonna have a hunt around a 20 might be out of my price range but we shall see. What cabs are you guys using with them? Guess the 5 could always be used with a cab as well :)

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  17. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Any Cab with a Greenback would be perfect, 10" or 12"

18. Steelerd

Steelerd Active Member

Thanks Tc appreciate the reply :)

tce63 likes this.
  19. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

All you really need is a vintage tonebender type pedal and you’re done .

20. Steelerd

Steelerd Active Member

Thanks Ulfo I'll have to check those out :) still learning about all this stuff.

At the moment I'd say the list of amps I'm looking at are

Origin 5 £200-300 (seems like a few dealers have stopped selling them)
    Origin 20 Combo £400 quid if I hold off for a few months
    Origin 20 Head £350 for the head
    n a cab could be an option that way I could use a cab with my AC10C to.

DSL1H was on the list at £220 + a cab

but looks like the Origin is the way to go :) just a shame they put that 8" in the 5' I saw on another website that the circuit on the Class 5 is similar to the Origin 5 thought that was quite interesting.