Celestion T1460 = T1281 ?

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by AML, Oct 22, 2020.

1. AML

AML New Member

Just checking whether the T1460 (G12H 30W 8-ohm) is really the same as the T1281 (16-ohm version)?

Saw this on the (excellent) Bygone Tones page, but it's just mentioned in passing as a heading title with no more info.

They seem to be the original speakers in a 2x12 combo (1973), making up a 16-ohm load. But I'm wondering why Marshall didn't just use a pair of T1281s in parallel.

2. BygoneTones

BygoneTones Well-Known Member

That would be very unusual if they are the original speakers in a Marshall. What combo is it? Artiste combos tend to come with T1886.

As far as I know they are the 8 Ohm version of the T1534/T1281. Maybe ask drdecibel at Celestion for verification. If there is a specification difference (apart from impedance) it is unlikely to be anything major.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    AML likes this.
  3. AML

AML New Member

Thanks. Interesting - they are indeed from a Marshall Artiste 2x12. Their code - "ME29" for both - seems appropriate for an amplifier assembled in 1973.

I got the Artiste about 18 years ago, not long after it had been to Marshall for a cosmetic job (tolex and grille, nothing electronic). It's possible that the original speakers were blown and replaced at the same time, but it seems unlikely that they had wrong-but-date-correct speakers on hand to swap in on the day. Marshall would, of course, put in new speakers, of course.

Which amps/cabinets got the T1460, in your experience?

4. BygoneTones

It's possible I guess. Just all the ones I've seen tend to have T1886's inside. If you have a look around on reverb.com etc that's what you will likely find.

I've mostly seen the T1460's in HH IC100 combos, but they tend to have HH labels over the top of the Celestion labels. I think I've seen them in other UK brands too but can't remember exactly which.

AML likes this.
  5. AML

AML New Member

Thanks for the extra info. I'll sort out some photos in teh next few days, just in case they're useful for future reference.

6. BygoneTones

Are you 'goldtop' on fretboard forum? I saw the ad in the classifieds.

Most Marshall gear only really came with three greenback models in the 70's: T1281, T1511, and T1221. They were used in all the 4x12's and PA cabs. Pretty much everything they made that was aimed at guitar players. Then you have the T1886 that was used in the Artiste range, Artise combo amps and Artiste speaker cabinets.

7. AML

AML New Member

Yes, that's me.

I wonder what the story is here? Hard to think of a scenario where the date-correct speakers would have been transplanted. Perhaps the originals (T1886s) blew very early on and an amp tech replaced them with these T1460s (bought new)?

8. metromutt

metromutt Well-Known Member

If that's about 2002 when you bought it, chances are the previous owner has replaced the T1886's with used speakers. I started collecting the odd G12m pulsonic in the late 90's and you could pick up a lot of old speakers cheap back then, well at least cheaper than buying new from celestion!

From what I remember reading the Artiste was marshalls attempt at something clean and fendery, so I would guess they contacted celestion to supply them with a likewise sounding speaker, the T1886, either way the two speakers you have now are more desirable.