>

Celestion pulsonic 10" 7442

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Maggot Brain, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain Well-Known Member

Anyone have experience with these?

I was thinking one might make a great addition to my Origin20c and help achieve that vintage pulsonic speaker tone heard with the big boys of the era.

They are a little more realistically priced when available compared the 12" pulsonic GBs, curious if they would get me in that area being a 10". Do they share any similarities in tone to the GBs? I know it's a smaller and different speaker but I imagine they still have a lot more character than modern 10" speakers.

I'll add a revision here as I'm not very educated on vintage Celestion 10" offerings and am open to any input on vintage Celestion 10" guitar speakers.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  2. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

I can't say about that particular version but I've tried Celestion G10 Greenbacks and I think they're fantastic. You'd never guess you were hearing a 10 inch speaker.

To me they sound VERY "classic Greenback" and I'd highly recommend giving one a try. And you can resell it for pretty close to list price if it turns out to not be the speaker you're looking for.

Maggot Brain likes this.
  3. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Well-Known Member

The 7442 frame 10" is a lightweight magnet, which is a little less in proportion to a 12" G12M. Usually I found them in 8x10 cabs, but they were also used in the dual 10 18w style combo amps.

They're only rated at 10-15w, though, so you get a low power amp (sub 10w) with them, or you get multiples. Personally I found them too light in the bass and lower mids to be usable, but you might like them.

The 10" 9384 speaker had the heavier 10" magnet (20-25 oz), a greenback plastic cover, and a 102 002 10" Pulsonic cone. I have two of them, they sound great. Kind of a cross between a G12M and G12H in 10" format.

Mine are from February 1970 (BC 20 and BC24).

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
    GIBSON67, Seanxk and Maggot Brain like this.
  4. Maggot Brain

Thanks! That's some great info I hadn't discovered yet, I've been trying to find vintage 10" Celestions and the one I found the most were the 7442 but the 9384 sounds more like what I'll want.

I've had those on my radar, while I have no complaints about the stock Vintage type in the Origin I am still looking at other speaker possibilities. I was thinking a genuine 60s/70s 10" celestion pulsonic maybe a little more affordable than the 12".

5. StingRay85

StingRay85 Well-Known Member

Buy & try

Maggot Brain likes this.
  6. Seanxk

Seanxk Well-Known Member

The 7442 being found in the 8x10, be wary as I've seen a few of these cabs with very tired speakers more often than not.

Maggot Brain likes this.
  7. BygoneTones

BygoneTones Well-Known Member

The 7442 never came with pulsonic cones to my knowledge. You see people selling them all the time as being pulsonic, but they usually came with the 'NIB' stamped cone upto about 1975, which appear to be the same as the 'RIC' cone but 10" obviously.

[​IMG]

After 1975 they came with 8401 stamped cones, possibly Kurt Mueller but who knows.

[​IMG]

The 10" greenback 9384 are rare and hardly ever come up for sale. Pulsonic cones '1124 002' stamp. I've only ever seen them used in Marshall 4x10 cabs circa 71 to 72, and those are also rare. I have not seen them used elsewhere personally, usually Marshall would use the 7442 in bluesbreakers etc from what I've seen anyway.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A lot more common are the T1927, they came in 70's Marshall PA cabs, and those ones do have pulsonic cones, upto 73 anyway - '1124/5' stamp, but a much larger magnet than the 7442.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    Maggot Brain, StingRay85 and GIBSON67 like this.
  8. Maggot Brain

This is the type of schooling I was hoping for @BygoneTones, very very much appreciated!

You guys rock and have steered me in the right direction, I'll have to take a step back and further look at what would be the most fitting speaker for my application l.

9. Dino Boreanaz

Dino Boreanaz Member

I've used the 7442 and a few other 10" Celestion speakers in my Lead 12 Micro Stack and here are my experiences.

The G10D-25 stock speaker in the Micro Stack cabinets was loose in the low end, lacking mids, and quite harsh and fizzy in the high end.

The G10N-40 had a much more well-controlled low end, stronger midrange, and nice present high end without being harsh.

The 7442 was much louder than any of the other speakers I've tried. It had a weaker low end and low-mids than the G10N-40, but not loose or flubby. The upper mids and treble were very strong ... not harsh, but very pronounced.

The G10 Greenback has the same strong, controlled low end as the G10N-40 while also being more mid-forward. The high end is a little smoother than the G10N-40 and not as in-your-face as the 7442. These are the speakers I'm happy with in this amp and I have no plans to look for others.

Although they did not have the tone that I was looking for at home, I think the upper mid presence and greater loudness of the 7442 could work better in a full band situation. But as Jim mentioned above, the power rating is much lower than any of the modern offerings. This wasn't a concern for me as I was using two of them with a 12 W solid state amp, but a single 7442 driven by a 20 W tube amp may be living on borrowed time.

GIBSON67 and Scumback Speakers like this.
  10. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Well-Known Member

While I was packing up the shop, a buddy and I finally put in the 9384 10" on top, and WGS Green Beret 25w 10's on the bottom. Wired it in parallel/series.

Possibly the most stunning 4x10 I've ever heard. A 50w 1987 Plexi just kills with this combination and a Les Paul.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021