Celestion Lead Classic 80

Reaction score
Just purchased 2 Celestion Lead Classic 80's at 8 ohms gonna add to my Code 50 and build an extension cabinet with the other speaker giving me a 4 ohm load. Has anyone had an experience with this guitar speaker ? I already added the one to my code 50 I know I'll be losing some volume with the higher ohm rating but it sounds better already. I'm hoping the extension cab' will add some tone to the setup. Here's a look at the one.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20200425_194243_Film2.jpg
    thumbnail_20200425_194243_Film2.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 12
  • thumbnail_20200425_194617_Film2.jpg
    thumbnail_20200425_194617_Film2.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 12
  • thumbnail_20200425_195314_Film2.jpg
    thumbnail_20200425_195314_Film2.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 12

dptone5

Reaction score
Yes. I have owned CL 80’s. Very nice speaker. Much like a G12T-75, but the lows are deeper and the highs not as harsh and biting. Great for higher gain and smooth leads. Enjoy!!!

Kutt

Reaction score
- Necro Bump -

Any other Classic Lead 80 users here? Kinda somewhat eyeballing them. They seem like the dark horse candidate of the Celestion lineup. Watched a bunch of videos but don't feel like I am any more familiar with them.

headcrash

Reaction score
I recently discovered the Classic Lead 80 as my go-to speaker for tight drop-D 90s/00s higain.
I have been wondering for a longer time, why everybody is using the Vintage 30s (or similar speakers/clones) for higain. These speakers will compress and/or add saturation, even overdrive to the sound when being pushed. Even when the amps being used have plenty of gain on tap. Also they tend to muddy up, or better smear evreything, especially on the lower notes. Apart from that, there is the pronounced hi-mid spike everyone's complaining about.
I am a long time user of the Vintage 30s resp. Marshall's G12 Vintage, which have bit more upper highs, and a tiny bit less hi-mid spike. All in alI, I do like their sound. A lot! But I was experiencing all the downsides, since I got back into band practise more and more in recent few years. And pushing my amps a little more, finally :)

So I started searching for a speaker that stays cleaner at higher volme levels, does not compress or saturate. Forums described the Classic Lead exactly as what I may need. And so I have been using two of them each in my two band projects since half a year or so, and I am very pleased.

It does have its own sound, there is no such thing as a "neutral" guitar speaker. However, I happen to like it a lot, and it's kinda refreshing to have just a different sound (as far as the EQ cuve is concerned), that sets me apart from "all the others" (at least all the V30 users).
But more important, the Classic Lead tracks far better for classic 90s/00s chugga chugga. Even at higher volume, I can't hear (or better feel) that smearing effect of the saturation of the Vintage 30s. Generally I'd say, that stiffness or "better tracking" of low notes and chugga chugga, it's more something to do with "feel" than "hear". This may or may not be something others like.

I still like V30s and wouldn't hesitate to play gigs with them. But I happen to like the CL 80s better for what I like and want.

Here are two clips using my Fryette Delieverance clone.

I tried to place the mic on the same position on the cone, as good as I could get without cutting the grill cloth on the Harley Benton 412 ;-)

Sorry for the hiccups in the V30 file!

Last edited:

dptone5

Reaction score
That sounds great! I am with you. Like the overall tone of the CL-80's better for what you were playing.

Awesome playing BTW!!! Were you using a Les Paul?

headcrash

Reaction score
That sounds great! I am with you. Like the overall tone of the CL-80's better for what you were playing.

Awesome playing BTW!!! Were you using a Les Paul?

Thank you ! Too many mistakes though. But it was just noodling around to shwo off the amp, not my playing :jam:

I solely use Music Man Axis Sport or Super Sport guitars, so did I this time :)

Latest posts