Celestion G12t-75

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by ibmorjamn, Jun 7, 2016.

1. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

The older G12T75's are much smoother on the top end than the newer G12T75's, maybe due to break-in or aging,
    but definitely better sounding to my ears. If I needed more 75's, then I'd look for the vintage G12T75's with the
    magnet vent like the G12-65's.

I've also tried the G12M70's with G12T75's and thats a good pairing, too. Seems like the 75's mix well with most other Celestions.

But, I ended up with an A cab full of 3 different GBs and a B cab full of G12-80's with 444 bass cones.

2. dptone5

dptone5 Well-Known Member

Like Gibson67 and others, I love mixing Greenbacks with G12T-75's. I run two 4 x 12 cabinets, one with all greenbacks and one with with G12T-75's and Classic Lead 80's in an X-pattern. Greenbacks give you that crunch and classic rock sound. G12T-75's are tighter, have a good bottom end and sparkling highs. Both are rated at 97 dB too so one doesn't overpower the other. 75's cover a lot of ground, but are not as tonally pleasing as Greenbacks, especially for cleaner stuff.

GIBSON67 likes this.
  3. GuitarMutant

GuitarMutant Well-Known Member

I've got one, but wasn't fond of it. Seemed kinda scooped. Just me though. I'm old school. 57 for guitars. It's what I'm used to hearing I guess :)

iron broadsword likes this.
  4. dreyn77

dreyn77 Well-Known Member

So, why pay for the collectible item and then turn it into a non collectible item?
    Start from scratch and assemble from parts instead. And DON'T tell other buyers to ruin their collections.
    Don't tell others it's better if their collection has been pulled to pieces and other items are whacked in there!
    Mixed items are worthless!
    If you're making mixed up items, then that's your signature product, so put your name on the item.
    Don't tell marshall buyers to make YOUR amp style.

5. jack daniels

jack daniels Well-Known Member

Many conversations about this one, the 'scooped' G12T-75 is the modern production G12T-75 speaker. Look for late 80's to early 90's versions, they are not scooped. Gibson67 mentions a vent over the center of the magnet which I haven't seen on this particular speaker but it doesn't mean that he's wrong either, so mark that on the list as well.

6. Jaymz E

Jaymz E Well-Known Member

I like em better than V30s, but EVM12Ls is my favorite in a 4x12.

7. tremojem

tremojem Member

Unfortunately my 75s are the newer ones, from 1991. I saw a thread and a video comparison. I checked mine and they are the newer ones.

They do sound great, but I would really like to hear what the greenbacks sound like.

JS videos are great, so I will seek them out on youtube.

8. GuitarMutant

All my 12T75s are vintage. I was referring to the e609 mic.

9. iron broadsword

iron broadsword Well-Known Member

Yeah my 90's 75 cab is certainly not scooped.. I'd wager that it has more to do with speakers breaking in further and further over the years than anything.

Kris Ford likes this.
  10. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

Last G12-65 I've seen was 1983, and the first G12T75 I've seen was in 1984.
    These were in the Jubilee cabs and the 1966 cabs. Not to be confused with the
    G12/75's (T2570 with 1975 cone number)which were more like G12-80's or
    something completely different from the late 70's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. jack daniels

So the e609 microphone is 'scooped' or lacking in mids?

12. jack daniels

The mids are either there, or they are not there from inception before break in.

13. GuitarMutant

IMO yes. Very heavy on the brittle top end. But I'm also not into super bright tones. Take my opinion with a grain of salt :)
    I FAR preferred an old 57 Unidyne over a test of about 10 mics.
    HOWEVER, I use that e609 regularly for live gigs with awesome results.

14. GuitarMutant

I agree with this.

I WILL add that a broken in speaker DOES sound better than when it's new. So even with the newer 12T75s, if it's been played a LOT, it'll sound better than one that's only seen a few hours' use. I used to think this was hogwash, but a tinkering buddy of mine set up an isolation room in his shop, put a brand new 412 in there, hard-mounted a mic, and recorded himself. Now - I kid you not: he plugged it into a tone generator and amplifier, set it LOUD, closed off the isolation room, and let it run for a month nonstop. (The dude was certifiable LOL but a great experimenter). Then he plugged his guitar head back into it and recorded the exact same passages. Same volume, same settings, same mic position, same digital recorder. It sounded better. Noticeably better.

Breaking an "ok" speaker in won't make it a "great" speaker. You're not going to turn a modern 12T75 into a vintage one. But breaking ANY speaker in DOES improve its tone.

15. jack daniels

I would imagine that a flat response (or close to flat response) for a mic would be optimal when playing live gigs. If your bass and treble response are about equal with a minor amount of 'notching' wouldn't that be a good thing?

16. jack daniels

You're preaching to the choir on this subject but, I'm very glad that you experienced it firsthand and in the way you did so you can spread the gospel to those unfortunate souls who haven't been enlightened yet (in a manner of speaking). ;)

17. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

I have tried a lot of different speakers, but for the tone and sound and ability to have a diverse array of tones with only one cab/speaker, I choose the G12T-75 over everything else. When I went shopping for some 1960B's after getting rid of my JVM full stack with 1960 vintage cabs, I decided to buy used from a backline company, and man, it is insane how smooth and creamy a 1960B responds with a thousand + hours of full volume on it. I now have 2 of them, one is a 2004 one is a 2007, the 2007 is a little less smooth but both cabs have been through the ringer and were used by every major and minor touring band through Calgary that used KLM backline.

Anyways, I love these speakers. greenbacks and Vintage 30's only sound good with certain heads... The G12T-75 sounds good on any head IMO. If you like the sound of broke in celestions, look into buying off a backline company.

Kris Ford and GuitarMutant like this.
  18. GuitarMutant

For studio recording, it would take significant notching to remove the fuzziness and shrill top end. Some guys like that sound - I mean, a lot of guys swear by the e series mics. In fact, it's why I bought one. But to this day, I'm still using the same SM57 Unidyne that I bought from an engineer back in the 80s because I liked the sound.

I'm not saying it's a bad mic. It's just not for me. At least not in the studio. Live, the noise of the room and the clutter of live sound reinforcement do something to the sound that makes the e609 work well. So I still use it at shows (I carry it with me, and if the sound man has another mic, I ask if I can use the e).

19. GuitarMutant

LOL - just trying to identify the difference between "broken in" and "good from the start" speakers :)
    I see the misconception flying around that all you have to do to make your speakers sound good is break them in.

20. jack daniels

The only point I make is that people sometimes pre-judge too quickly when they buy new speakers and give their reviews fairly instantaneously. Too brittle, too edgy, too crisp, too --- etc. Sure I understand with some it's most likely concern over, "can I return them if I'm still dissatisfied even after breaking in the speaker(s)?"

iron broadsword likes this.