Celestion G12t-75

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by ibmorjamn, Jun 7, 2016.

1. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

I picked up 2 of these to fill up an old fender 4 x 12 cab and damn, that is definitely part the magic in my tone.
    They have the punch that many speakers lack. Part of what I missed in my JCM900 dual reverb.

2. jack daniels

jack daniels Well-Known Member

They were good enough for Gary Moore, and they're good enough for me too.

Kris Ford likes this.
  3. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I'm a fan :yesway:

Kris Ford likes this.
  4. rick16v

rick16v Well-Known Member

I like them too. I think people sometimes change them for the sake of 'upgrading.'

I mix with v30 to balance things out, but on their own they are good too.

Kris Ford and dslman like this.
  5. John BNY

John BNY Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

I'll play through a lot of different speakers when I'm experimenting with tones with different amps. but when I'm rehearsing with the band and gigging out, those are the only speakers I play through now. I like the tone as well as how they cut through the mix.

dreyn77 likes this.
  6. tremojem

tremojem Member

I have a Marshall 4x12 filled with these.

I think they sound great, but am interested in Greenbacks. Everyone says they are the bomb with a Super Lead Plexi, are they wrong?

dreyn77 likes this.
  7. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

I have never tried green backs but I have heard the same , the other 2 speakers in the cab are a Texas Heat and a Hot 100.

8. Sir Don

Sir Don Well-Known Member

I like 'em too. I was playing through a cab of V30's for a while with my HJS but I decided to give the 75's a go as they were the speakers recommended for that head. Made a massive difference all round.

dreyn77 likes this.
  9. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

75's and GB's play together very nicely! I'd put hte GBs in the top and the 75's in the bottom.

dslman and dptone5 like this.
  10. GuitarMutant

GuitarMutant Well-Known Member

I'm a fan.

Depending on the amp, I use:
    12T75s (some of my Marshalls),
    12T75/12M70 X pattern (some of my other Marshalls),
    12M70s (Carvin X100B),
    or V30s (Carvin Legacy).

Since I mostly practice with/record with my Marshalls, I would say the 12T75s would be my "if you can only have one" speaker.

dreyn77 and iron broadsword like this.
  11. iron broadsword

iron broadsword Well-Known Member

I use them and love em'. I've got a v30 cab but I definitely prefer the 75's with my 900 (before and after modding). If I was doing the modern rock thing I'd be using the v30's though, I just find the 75's to be smoother and they do a better job if you're riding the volume knob for cleans.. Unless it's sparkling clean, it will always sound dirty with v30's in my experience. I find that v30's are easier to record with though.. 75's are less forgiving on mic placement, but they sound great when you nail it.

I am interested in greenbacks too though.. sometime I'll pick up a couple to try out but in the meantime I've got what I want and then some.

GuitarMutant likes this.
  12. GuitarMutant

GuitarMutant Well-Known Member

I'm recording right now, and using 75s. You couldn't be more right about mic placement. Last time I did a "real" recording, I was using 12M70s, and you could throw the mic just about anywhere for a similar tone (within reason of course). This time around, 75s. And it took a few days of moving the mic 1/4", tipping it slightly on or off axis, and changing distance slightly before I found the tone I wanted to hear. But (in my ears at least) the tone is exactly what I had hoped for once I found the right placement.

iron broadsword likes this.
  13. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I play through a lot of speakers too, I have 75's, 65's, V30's, Greenbacks, Wharfdale, Jensen. I tend to rotate through them say every 4-6 months, sometimes mix them, I find I like them unmixed the best. Its nice for variety sake, they all have their strong points and weaknesses depending on the amp you use them with. 75's are what I use the most though, they sound great with all my amps may it be Marshall, Fender, Vox, Orange.

GuitarMutant and dreyn77 like this.
  14. tremojem

tremojem Member

So basically, for my Ceriatone Super Lead 100W Plexi (1968), I should consider buying two Greenbacks (75Hz) and installing them in the top two positions of my 1960B Marshall cab.

Agree or disagree?

Will this tighten it up a bit and smooth the top end just a pinch?

Not sure, what do you think.

15. iron broadsword

The Johan (Johan Segeborn of youtube fame) advised me once that greenbacks and 75's sound great together. If anybody knows, that guy knows.

Greenbacks aren't known for tightness, if anything it'll make it looser for that more classic rock kinda grind. Should help smooth out the top though from what I understand.

16. iron broadsword

If you ever wanna minimize that hassle with micing the 75's, try a sennheiser mic in front of it. I've been using one live for a while now and it is really quite amazing how forgiving it is, and how transparent it is. Blows the sm57 out of the water any day.. I think it's an e609 or e906 or something, whichever is more expensive. I think one was around $100 and the other $200. Anyways, blew me away.

17. dreyn77

dreyn77 Well-Known Member

I just recently acquired Van Halens LIVE LP on vinyl, and I found when I was mixing 1970s speakers with 1990s era speakers, I wasn't able to adjust the stereo amps EQ section to a zone where Alex's drums actually could sound like drums.
    There was too much tone power effect going on with the sound mix.
    With my stereo I can drop a set of speakers out of the mix, just by flicking a switch.
    (A great feature on an amp)

Once I returned to using only the 1970s original speakers for the amp, I was able to adjust the sound to make Alex's drums sound exactly like real drums tone.
    Once I did that, all the other tones of the recording fell into place, an the whole LP sounded fantastic!
    Now, I can play along with the Marshall amp and hear how low ed's got his signature gear tone.
    Wolfie fits right in to the mix and is a big improvement over Michael Anthony.
    Love that VH LP set!

18. tremojem

tremojem Member

Geez, I did not expect that.

I kinda thought the 75Hz Greenbacks rolled off the lows and a pinch of highs.

This way the flubby lows of the Plexi would drop out a little.

Hmmm, I must have this all wrong.

19. iron broadsword

They handle less power than the 75's, being 25w each. So that means they get saturated earlier which gives them a bursty sound but at the same time that tends to make it less tight. It's a tradeoff.. depends what you want. For a general example: V30 for modern rock, Greenback for classic rock, 75 for a little bit of everything. And then there's more options too.. do yourself a favour and check out johan segeborn's speaker comparison vids.

20. jack daniels

jack daniels Well-Known Member

The only thing is, your overall cabinet power handling is limited to the lowest power rated speaker. In this case, it's the 25W greenbacks. It's just like you had 4 greenbacks installed for 100W power handling, wherein the greenbacks will blow before the G12T-75's if power ratings are exceeded.

GIBSON67 likes this.