Celestion fullback for SRV tone?

ELS

Reaction score
So I'm planning to buy a celestion G15V-100 "Fullback", wanted to ask if it was a good choice for that early stevie-ray-vaughan like tone.
in comparisons it kinda sounds a bit too bright, but only way to really tell for sure would be to play it in person.

I'm after that SRV tone, but would like it to not flub out with a lot of distortion (which seems the speaker is renown for).

and if no, what other speakers would you suggest in that price range, I don't mind buying used.
I'd like to have 4 10's but a 4x10 setup for around 150$ doesn't seem plausible :D

GIBSON67

Reaction score
What amp are you planning to use?

I get great tone from my Super Six Reverb by using my Marshall quad with G12-80's or V30's. And of course, both of those speakers handle distortion very well!

RLW59

Reaction score
Stevie replaced the 15" JBL's in his Vibroverbs with ElectroVoice EVM15L's. Late-period SRV was all EVM's in all his amps (10's, 12's, and 15's).

EVM's are zero-flub speakers. On average they sell for a bit above your price range but if you're patient you can find one.

ELS

Reaction score
What amp are you planning to use?

I get great tone from my Super Six Reverb by using my Marshall quad with G12-80's or V30's. And of course, both of those speakers handle distortion very well!
a blackface vibroverb clone,

Stevie replaced the 15" JBL's in his Vibroverbs with ElectroVoice EVM15L's. Late-period SRV was all EVM's in all his amps (10's, 12's, and 15's).

EVM's are zero-flub speakers. On average they sell for a bit above your price range but if you're patient you can find one.
well I prefer his early tone, from around 83 and prior, but I'll see what comes up for EVM15L's

and I don't care much for the speaker being absolutely free of any flubbyness, I want it just to be alright for hard rock, something like Pearl Jam levels of distortion.

GIBSON67

Reaction score
Good luck with a 15, but my advice is to stay clear of any with an aluminum dust cap, it will be too bright.
I have a couple of ancient, square magnet Eminence 15's with those and they are a no go for me.
Good for bass though!

***Disclaimer I have no experience with JBLs and respect their following***Please don't flame me***

ELS

Reaction score
Good luck with a 15, but my advice is to stay clear of any with an aluminum dust cap, it will be too bright.
I have a couple of ancient, square magnet Eminence 15's with those and they are a no go for me.
Good for bass though!

***Disclaimer I have no experience with JBLs and respect their following***Please don't flame me***
hmm, I thought that it was more dependant on the voice coil diameter, bigger voice coils not responding to higher frequencies.
but I'll keep that in mind for now since too bright speakers have been the bane of my guitar rig.
Eminence Legend 1518, I have one in my RI '64 Vibroverb compared it to a JBL E130 and a EVM15L, the Eminence sounded the best.

wow, it Does sound great! well then I'm probably gonna buy that instead, it sounds great for SRV clean stuff and distortions real creamy.
If the center of the speaker puts out too much high end a blocker can be utilized.
yeah yeah, like SRV used to do on his twin reverbs. with the gaffer tape on the middle part.

I'm just concerned if it's too loud for my small band :D
but if it is, I'll probably just make a lower output power section, from 6L6's to EL84's or 6V6's should not only lower the volume but make it sound better on cleans probably.
(yes I know there's the hot plate power reducers and stuff like that, but I'm a believer in having the speaker directly connected to the amp)

yladrd61

Reaction score
The early SRV tone is Super Reverb and Vibroverb with JBL, the aluminum dust caps are definitely part of the tone, of course the top end was very harsh, that is why SRV put the tape on the grill cloth. The El Mocambo gig is one of the best examples of that tone. He also cranked the amps up loud. If you want to get close without permanant hearing damage some type of attenuation is advisable.

jcm800gridlock

Reaction score
I’m running CTS AlNico’s in my ‘68 Super Reverb and using an elMo OD pedal and a Stratocaster tuned a 1/2 step down and I think that I’m getting pretty good SRV tones.

For new and fairly inexpensive speaker for SRV tone, try an Alessandro GASC-64 speaker.

I had the 12” GASC-64 in a vintage BF Fender Deluxe Reverb. I had a friend (who is really a great guitarist) play through my amp with my Start and it was SRV all-over again. He and I could not believe how good his tone was through that setup.

I currently have two of the 10” Alessandro’s in my ‘67 Fender Vibrolux Reverb and it can also get into SRV territory.

Last edited: