>

Celestion (Alnico) Blue vs Celestion G-12-M Pre Rolla/pulsonic

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by obx351, Sep 17, 2021.

1. obx351

obx351 Active Member

Granted 15w vs 25w, ceramic vs alnico magnets and that this is very subjective question, but what are the tonal differences?

2. racerxrated2

racerxrated2 Member

I have a 72 A cab with 1221 Pulsonics; and recently I picked up a pair of Vox Blues from 63, with 1777 cones. The tonal response is eerily similar to a V30 (Vox Blues) but without any spiky harshness. The Blue has a 3D thing that I’ve never heard before…just all around pleasing tone. By comparison I played my Mesa through a Mesa cab with V30s, which sounds very nice but then I plug into the Blues and it makes the Mesa cab sound flat and sterile by comparison. The only negative about the Blues is the low end response isn’t very tight. But the overall tone is pretty amazing. By comparison the 72 1221 is your typical greenback tone; it sounds best cranked vs the Blues that sound great at whisper levels…blues have a 15w rating so have to be careful.

obx351 likes this.
  3. racerxrated2

racerxrated2 Member

But the difference between the two is like comparing a GB to a V30….except the V30 has this amazing swirly 3D tone.

obx351 likes this.