Carl Martin Plexitone Single Channel + DSL40CR redundant?

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by Bruce Campbell, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Bruce Campbell

Bruce Campbell Member

I just got my new DSL40CR and really haven't had a ton of time to play with it because of work and family. The option to get a Carl Martin Plexitone Single Channel on trade for another pedal I have presented itself last night. I have a short period of time to respond to this offer and wondered, with what I have on tap with the DSL40CR, would this pedal offer me anything extra or just be redundant? I initially thought it may be good for just a lead OD, to kick in for solos. The guys I jam with play a lot of classic rock (Foreigner/April Wine/UFO/ZZ Top). Thanks in advance for any advice.

B

2. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

I've tried several "Plexi" type pedals with my DSL100, and always ended up finding them redundant with what the amp offers by itself. The best in my experience being the Guvnor, but it was virtually the same as the amp, just a tad thinner and brighter. But none has the girth and punch of the amp by itself. At the end of the day, while sounding nice, they all sound like pedals, not a raging amp.
    IMHO you'll be better served by some kind of overdrive to use on top of the DSL's crunch or lead 1 channels (my favorite remains the TubeScreamer) to push it into full-bore saturation if needed.
    Some will probably disagree (and that's perfectly fine), but that's my take on it.

3. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Bruce, I did have the 3 channel version of the CM Plexitone in conjunction with my DSL40C.
    I sold that pedal. If you have to get the single channel in a fair trade it may just do it for you.
    Generally it is not redundant to look for another Marshall voice while running through a Marshall which does not provide the sought after tone. The right pedal can be complimentary.
    Don't mind me saying so however you prolly haven't had enuff time to play with and tweak the DSL40CR.
    You do have 2 channels and a foot switch which may very well fulfill that function for you.
    :2c:
    BP

4. dro

dro Well-Known Member

Being a Carl Martin user myself. With the bands you listed. The Plexi tone will likely give you a more authentic tone than the drive in the DSL. Not to say you can't do it with the DSL. Just one old guys opinion.

Bruce Campbell likes this.
  5. Len

Len Well-Known Member

The DSLs don’t sound like a true Plexi. They don’t have the high end raspiness and the tight low end. I would get the Plexi pedal for more authentic Plexi tones.

6. Bruce Campbell

Bruce Campbell Member

I decided to go for the trade. The Carl Martin has an awful lot of gain on tap, that is for sure. I like to use the ultra gain green channel (OD1) on the DSL to setup a good rhythm tone with gain at around 12 o'clock. I setup my classic gain green channel with low gain, just starting to break up. I kick in the Carl Martin on this channel for leads. I don't set the drive on the pedal to more than 2 or 3 because of the amount of gain. It sounds really good though. The CM is a worthy addition to my setup.

After testing out the infamous 'crank both master volumes' theory I find myself in the camp of not liking this as much as using the channel gain and volume. I'm not a huge lover of oodles of gain though.

20200711_092324.jpg

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  7. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

The 'plexiest' tones from the 40cr come from pushing in the tone shift button which most people don't like to do because of the volume drop which is caused by the lack of bass. Which of course is typical plexi country. Hard to use that feature while playing because you have to completely re-eq the amp to get a decent sound. I think Marshall could have made this feature more useable.