Cap Kit for a 2203

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by Greg70, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Greg70

Greg70 New Member

I have a JCM800 2203 that I would like to replace the caps on. It has an inspection date of 7-11-84. It is the U.S. version with horizontal jacks and originally had 6550 power tubes. I replaced them with EL34's several years ago and rebiased. I have found capacitor kits from a few vendors that specify an early and late version of the 2203. Their early kits contain 6 large caps and 2 small ones. Their late kits contain 3 large caps and 2 small ones. My amp has 5 large caps in. Four are located between the large transformers and 1 is between two preamp tubes. I guess I can just buy the 6 cap early kit and have a spare cap? Was there a transition era between the early and late 2203's? It also has the pots on the circuit board if that helps in dating it.

Shawn Kawvey likes this.
  2. StingRay85

StingRay85 Well-Known Member

Check the values of the caps in your amp, and then buy the exact same ones. I don't have a clue about the variations but a 50+50 cap can replace two 50 uF caps, so takes up one space instead of two. If you want to keep things simply just make a list of all the caps you have and just buy them as drop in replacements

South Park and Shawn Kawvey like this.
  3. StingRay85

StingRay85 Well-Known Member

And welcome to the forum of course :welcome:

Shawn Kawvey likes this.
  4. Greg70

Greg70 New Member

Thanks! I've been playing on and off for decades and dusted off my halfstack recently. It definitely needs a new master volume pot and the caps are original so I want to replace them before bad things happen. I'll be lurking around here for a bit.

Shawn Kawvey likes this.
  5. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

Pots don’t go bad easily. Get some good contact cleaner for them. I use Deoxit Gold.

Shawn Kawvey likes this.
  6. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

+1 on the Deoxit gold.
    Re the caps just replace like for like. I would use the F&T 500v ones for filter caps (big ones up top) and their bias caps will be good too the right size are 350v I think. Are you doing the work yourself?

7. Greg70

Greg70 New Member

Yes I'm doing it myself. I've worked on high voltage stuff before and know about using one hand and draining the caps. I modded the amp back in the 90s by adding an additional tube for an effects loop and swapped some resistors and caps in the tone circuit. I've got a good digital VOM but don't have an O scope, signal generator, or a variac.

The main reason I'm going into it is because it started making a steady popping noise when I turn it on. It's at a steady rate of a pop every 3 seconds or so. It will fade away after a couple of minutes and then pop a couple of times after that. I guess it goes away completely after about 10 minutes. It doesn't get played much anymore and mostly sits but it didn't used to do this before. I know the caps are all original so I thought I would start with those.

The master volume pot has always been very finicky. At around 1 it goes from practice bedroom volume to Madison Square Garden concert if I so much as breath on the knob. It's incredibly difficult to get something in between. It has a ton of static in it so I thought I would replace it. I have to pull the PCB anyway to get to one of the filter caps. I have deoxit. Will this definitely fix it? I just wonder if there's a bad spot on the pot in that position.

neikeel likes this.
  8. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

Normally a few squirts if Deoxit gold will revive most pots.
    Popping is often a preamp valve stropping.
    The cap job maybe a good idea but get it fixed first or you will be somewhat disappointed after your endeavours!

9. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

Don’t forget to Clean your input jacks. Greetings from cal