Cant Get A Good Lead Tone? Please Help.

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Harold D, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Angus Rhoads

Angus Rhoads Well-Known Member

Totally agree, I swapped the GB in my combo for a broken-in Marshall G12 Vintage that I had and haven't looked back. GB sounded good but the Vintage with the Jubilee circuit is prefect.

2. Harold D

Harold D Member

Hi Folks, thanks for all the feedback( no pun intended).
    Have just spent the afternoon trying all settings that have been recommended and it already sounds much better. I’m very inexperienced when it comes to amps and didn’t realize the difference the eq settings make. Not sure what I was doing. I have only played about 5 hours max at low volume with the amp so speaker not broken in by any means. Hopefully that will make a difference also.
    But the amp finally sounds like a Marshall.
    Will eventually add a delay pedal and boost as recommended. Thanks again to everyone who took the time to help. Again much appreciated. Cheers. Harold

3. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

Sell it and get an lbx ii , Bob's yer uncle Fanny's yer aunt .

4. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I just sent you a PM :cheers:

Harold D and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  5. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

Lol , I always like the lead tone on my LBX but it took the cream back speaker to make it right.
    UFOscorpion , we spoke about tubes . I don't remember what you used but. I know it was not the stock EL84's ?

6. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

I remember , basically I changed the groove tube el84's for Shuguang el84's ( all I had knocking around ) . This made a big difference , like lifting a blanket off the speakers . I also changed all the pre-amp tubes , can't remember for what , I just rolled them until they sounded right and the hiss was greatly reduced . Those original tubes were really noisy , still not that quiet now but that the nature of a high gain amp , but sounds killer .

Mitchell Pearrow and ibmorjamn like this.
  7. thunderstruck507

thunderstruck507 Well-Known Member

If it's anything like the JCM800, run the gain at max and use your volume knob on the guitar to clean up the sound. This keeps the tone thick but can still become very clean to bluesy to full on hard rock depending on how high you turn up the guitar.

This wasn't something I ever did with a DSL or TSL or any other amp for that matter...but on the older style Marshall's it works wonders.

8. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member

Nope won't work great on lead channel of a Jubilee. But then, you also have a clean channel.

9. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

That’s how I ran the 800, and my 2104, but when I did this with a dsl40c, no way you could play it like that on the red channels! Good to see the OP get a happy handle on his tone quest! Cheers Mitch

Harold D likes this.
  10. 67Mopar

67Mopar Well-Known Member

Silver Jubilee amps love a Rockman EQ in the loop. Its 1/3 octave midrange + 1/2 octave bass are perfect for high resolution tone shaping. If you can land a Rockman Chorus, and a Rockman Echo module, you'll be in tone heaven. The Rockman Chorus has a groovy 70's vibe. There's really nothing out there like it. The Rockman Echo is easily the best BBD delay ever. Thanks to the loop placement, the Silver Jubilee won't overload the inputs.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  11. Harold D

Harold D Member

Going to pick up a ep booster soon as I hear good things about it, will have a look at the Rockman too, cheers

tce63 likes this.
  12. 67Mopar

67Mopar Well-Known Member

I've tried several "EP" booster pedals; including the coveted Chase Tone "Secret Preamp" pedal. IMO, they don't sound like a true EP3 preamp. The Fulltone solid-state tape echo has a "EP3" setting that nails it. An expensive proposal, if all you want is the preamp. I haven't tried the Dunlop.

13. xtian61

xtian61 New Member

A bit late to the party but better late than never: 4 weeks ago I bought a 2525c on a whim and based on the great YT videos and reviews thinking I could return it if I didn't like the amp. Long story short is I felt the same disappointment when I tried the Mini: Harsh distortion, total lack of bottom end, which could only be sort of worked around by diming input gain and bass. Hooking it up with a 2x12 ported cabinet added some low end but did not result in the typical Marshall oomph by far. Another weird phenomenon with one of my guitars was a massive loss of volume when dialing back treble. Being something like an amp fetishist I spent several hours by myself and in band rehearsals trying to tweak the amp - without success let alone getting in the ballpark of what I had heard in those videos. Let me add that I used to be a Marshall guy back in the 80s before switching to Mesas etc. so I know what these amps sound and feel like basically. The SJ is not an exception there.
    My internet research brought forth a couple of threads initiated by disappointed 2525 owners in different forums all with similar complaints so I realized I wasn't the only one experiencing this poor-sound thing. None of the well-meant suggestions by happy SJ owners seemed to solve the issues and I was about to return my amp when I felt a sudden change when switching from standby to 5 or 20 Watts (I don't recall which), which I had done what must have been a hundred times before: All of a sudden and without touching any of the pots there was a lot of low end and my first thought was I had broken something. At the same time all the harshness was gone and the amp now sounds like it's supposed to no matter what guitar I connect, great tone with all pots at 12 o'clock etc.
    While this can definitely not have been part of a regular break-in process, my only guess is it may have to do with some loose connection or a malfunction of the standby switch (or another component). In the meantime I have opened the back to check on any loose tubes finding no issues there. So far the amp has been lots of fun with all expectations fulfilled and the next thing will be for me to take it to my amp tech and have it checked out just in case.
    What I am saying is: If you are experiencing harsh tone or lack of low end from the Mini, something is definitely wrong with it.

14. Matt_Krush

Matt_Krush Well-Known Member

When I had the 2550x, it took time to for it to come alive.
    After a bout 20 hours, it was like a circuit self activated and it turned into a whole new amp.
    It wasnt the speaker cab breaking in since it was already 15 yrs old.

Never had any other new amp exhibit this phenomenon.
    While it was cool amp, it wasn't for me.

JacksonCharvelAddict likes this.
  15. Jr Deluxe

Jr Deluxe Well-Known Member

You should be able to get a good lead tone with any decent, properly tubed and bised amp. ANY AMP. It starts with you and your fingers. The actual guitar is also maybe about 25% of the equation. Get to be pals with a good guitar player in your town and invite him or her over to play on your rig. If he sounds great as usual then the problem is you.

Its important to have a foundation. Get and keep at leazt one guitar that you have heard sound great in somebodies hands. Then try amps out with that guitar. jam with friends. Plug your guitar in friends amps. Have them plug into your amps. Youll find out very quickly what or who sucks.

tce63 likes this.
  16. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

I noticed the same thing with my 2555x. Most of it in my case was the speakers needed to be broken in. I do think the tubes take a few hours to break in too as when I changed my pre-amp tubes I stopped liking the amp. I keep seeing these threads about the mini jubilees not sounding good and it makes me glad i got the big one instead.

17. xtian61

xtian61 New Member

Quite the opposite, what I was saying is if a mini doesn't sound great, something is wrong with it, it's broken. The amp itself is nothing short of GLORIOUS!!

18. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

That is good to hear. I have been planning on getting the combo but have been waiting on a deal. If the mini sounds good are there just a bunch of people expecting them to sound like a 5150? I know that the 2555x shipped with the bias on the cold side. I don't think this is the case with the mini as I heard it has an automatic bias of some kind.

19. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I have the 2525C and love everything about it sounds great.

But it took me a few days to bring out the sound I wanted.
    The EQ controls are super sensitive, but once you get it, it lets you know how good it is.

Cheers :cheers:

Angus Rhoads likes this.
  20. xtian61

xtian61 New Member

Couldn't agree more! The combo is a rock machine. Tele, Strat, ES335, you name it. With the 5/20 Watt settings you can run the power amp at 95 per cent in any situation making the thing ROOOOCK!! Not enough? Add a clean boost like an MXR micro amp and incinerate those EL34s!

Angus Rhoads and tce63 like this.