Can you get a cheaper price by calling Sweetwater?

Vinsanitizer

Double Platinum Supporting Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
So my 2013 R9 is really selling new for a down-payment on a house now?

1653006241385.png

And this is what the last 1960AV I bought new for $900 is really selling for now?

1653006414518.png

...and the 1936 I bought new for $600 is really this much now?

1653006557285.png

Who can afford gear anymore?

Last edited:

PaulHikeS2

Reaction score
For GC, I've bought a couple Fenders that were advertised at about 14% off, so I didn't haggle. Sweetwater I asked for and received 10% off a couple Greenbacks, but paid full freight on a DSL1HR. And at separate mom and pops, I've asked for and received 10% off a Breedlove acoustic, Fender Electric, and a Fender Vibro Champ Amp.

You always ask, unless you don't mind paying MAP. If it's new, SOMEONE will give you a discount.

PowerTube44

Reaction score
So my 2013 R9 is really selling new for a down-payment on a house now?

View attachment 108199

And this is what the last 1960AV I bought new for $900 is really selling for now?

View attachment 108200

...and the 1936 I bought new for $600 is really this much now?

View attachment 108201

Who can afford gear anymore?

I bought my 1960A slant cab used back in 2014. It's still in like-new condition and I paid $399.99 plus taxes from the GC Used Gear site. There's currently one on there with some blemishes for $999.99.

Ridiculous.

1960a.jpg

Last edited:

LPCustom28

Reaction score
Communicating directly with my SW rep, I got about $300 off an Sc20, and about $250 on a regular evh 4x12, so not horrible (but not like what I’ve gotten in the past lol). Not sure what type of relationship other people have with them specifically, but doesn’t hurt to ask. And like someone else mentioned in this post, some brands, like bogner for instance (personal experience), don’t offer discounts. Even outside the bigger box stores, the mom and pop shop that I’ve dealt with for years doesn’t give the types of deals I was able to secure in the past anymore. All I can do now is reminisce about the good old days of less money going out lol.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
I did call them and got good deal but it was Black Friday and the keyboard was a demo .

FennRx

Reaction score
Sweetwater used to be the best online dealer on the planet. They ain’t making me deals like this anymore.
128234EE-B3A1-43AE-8E37-CCD5653A8C7B.jpeg

Central Scrutinizer

Reaction score
I have gotten pretty good deals with Sweetwater in the past. I have not tried them since the new ownership.

The older I get the less shy I am about asking for discounts. I finally came to the realization I had to walk 20 miles through the snow to get to school, up hill both ways!!

I have become my old man.

Get off my lawn!!

KraftyBob

Reaction score
When buying new I pretty much only use Sweetwater and I’ve always received something off the list price. The amount varies but something is better than nothing. When I was looking to buy my Helix I wanted a floor model because they were $100’s cheaper, but I wasn’t fast enough because they’d sell immediately. Finally my sales rep said if I could get you a brand new one at X price would you be interested. It was so close to the floor model price I immediately bought it.

The last item I bought from them was a Danelectro 59M NOS+ guitar about a year ago and I think I got about $40 off the $480 list. Again, better than nothing.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
A few years ago I was building several guitars at once and I needed cases for them. I selected the PRS standard fit universal case and called Sweetwater and they gave me a worthwhile discount off them when I ordered three or more.

Yes, you can often negotiate for a price break by talking to a salesman directly. It's worth trying.

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
I have gotten discounts but I've bought a lot from them over the years. It may be a returning customer and history thing with them.

Trelwheen

Made With Real Bacon
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you Google "Sweetwater coupon," the first hit takes you to a page at Sweetwater where they say that they don't offer coupons, but to call them for the best deal.

Have any of you tried this? And if so, did they go below their posted price on anything?

Yes. Consistently.

I couldn't even calculate how much money I've saved in doing business with Sweetwater.

Couple examples:
$100 off retail on a T Rex replicator
$200 off retail on a Fender PRRI
$200 off retail on a Gibson SG Modern

Find a sales dude you like and stick with him.

Price is not the only reason I deal with Sweetwater. They ship super fast, they have a relatively deep and very wide inventory, they almost always pack everything like a boss, they bend over backwards to make you happy if you have a problem.....

....and....

Candy 🍭 🍬

SteelLucky

Reaction score
I’m not posting discounts I get but you got to build a relationship with them just like anywhere else. There are products they can offer better pricing on, there are products that they can’t offer as much. I will say Sweetwater is the only major company I do business online with anymore for music stuff. They are the only ones who seem to really want you to be happy with your purchase. My salesman is the best too.

vtrain

Reaction score
I was looking at a Morgan MVP66 earlier this year and the best they could do was free overnight shipping (they're so close, standard shipping would probably be overnight anyway) and offer to ship for pickup at a FedEx location in the next county so I would save some money on sales tax. I passed and that was probably a good move since all the stuff came out recently about inconsistent built quality on Morgan amps.

Edit: Also, it was a good move because I ended up with my 2245 THW instead!

Gutch220

Reaction score
you can usually get 10% if you email or call, especially if you're a regular buyer. I got 10% off once because it was my birthday ON TOP of another sale.
they may or may not still do this.
if there has been a sale on something, but your missed it, you'll almost certainly get a discount.
the worst they can say is no. it must suck to be online retail these days. the profit margins are so slim.

Latest posts