Can We Talk about the Ridiculous Reverb prices?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Kolanti, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Kidlargo

Kidlargo Member

Exactly. In the used pedal market having the unit as complete when originally sold is what I'm after. Sometimes that's a premium and other times I've picked up NIB/NOS pedals when no one else was looking apparently lol.

Biff Maloy likes this.
  2. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Inflation??????

Dollar is not worth what it used to be meaning more needed for the same stuff. I can remember when a pack of smokes were 75 cents now they are $9. Decent used car could be had for $500 now it's $5000.

Modern economics.

3. pleximaster

pleximaster Well-Known Member

As someone mentioned the pandemic have pushed prices up. For those who has work and are not economically distressed by the pandemic actually have more money to spend in guitars and gear, no travelling abroad, not going out to restaurants and pubs.

to keep one busy, you buy stuff... increase the demand for used and vintage gear.

we tried to find some used Mac laptops for the kids as they are doing schoolwork from home... there was no reason to buy used almost as expensive as new ones so that’s what they got. Ever one is looking for corona computers ....

4. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

That's cause used market laptops are almost all stolen. Normal people don't sell their old laptops. And besides, as of late, people don't upgrade much anymore, making it even less common.

Nowadays, the regular upgrade electronics are phone & tablet. Or gaming PC, but Mac laptops don't fall under that category, never did.

Lockdown = less robbing opportunities = less used Macs

5. southbound suarez

southbound suarez Active Member

There definately has been a noticable rise of pricing on everything .
    The government economists here in the USA dread to mention the word Inflation! I am not an economist and am probably below the knowledge of how finance and economy works. But I say call a spade a spade and/or if it walks like a duck or quacks like a duck,,,, well uh.... there likely a chance what you are witnessing is a duck! Doesn't take a biology expert to make such an assumptions.
    It appears inflation isn't something that is only occurring in the US economy, but is reflected on the whole international scale to some extent or another. Not wanting to make this political, but even more so , I think it just goes to show that the political are losing influence over economics, as the economy becomes further and further decentralized. Regardless, my first point is that there is a global inflation, that has brought prices up for everything, from fast food to building materials, not to mention logistics, fuel and shipping costs. The pandemic is real and has affected costs to consumers.
    That said, I have specific opinions that I would also point out about the Reverb Marketplace and it's community.
    Reverb has made itself a niche service, and is the specialized one stop shop or place to go online to locate "retail" - vintage/boutique/collectible/custom/professional grade equipment.
    Many of the folks that have congregated over to Reverb, often are the opportunists. They place listings as though they are entering a lottery. Reverb is their Publishers Clearing house. There seems to be a large demographic of the "come-ups", hoping to turn their shit to gold!
    They seek out local deals and find these old battered big name instruments and beat up gear and they list it at top high digit price hoping that with a roll of the dice, they might find the right full retail buyer.
    These listings have become so much the norm that they have actually managed to influence the market price enough to truly drive up the full retail pricing of pristine vintage widgets of whatever it is that thing that is so collectable. Of course condition is everything when it comes to collectable anything, much gear of yesteryear is collectable in the right condition and collectors pay crazy money for the things they collect. So this mentality of listing crazy prices has influenced prices across the board and throughout the community beyond Reverb to a certain extent as well.
    You figure most all listings on Reverb are full retail. Add to that the overhead of using Reverb especially factor in the recent substantial increase in service pricing and it makes things more difficult for the reasonable seller to list at a more average street price for what equipment might otherwise be purchased.
    To utilize Reverb, you really need to find the appreciation for the value of the service they provide. Figure in the cost of not so much the advertisement and media but even beyond that the bigger service as a Trust and Escrow. They are the officiant that oversees and makes sure that all those trades and deals are satisfied. Those services are going to have a value as is the premium placed upon their reputation. These large entities push that to a ragged edge especially if the own the overall marketshare. You wanna play ya gonna pay... .
    Reverb and Ebay own that market and have enough influence that it becomes a major defacto price guide when researching average and retail pricing of the marketplace.
    Fortunately, further down a couple of layers they provide as part of their service the tools to investigate the actually past sales of items of interest to make more reasonable assumptions as to the daily average market value of the specific items sold.
    This allows for reasonable sellers to place items for sale at reasonable prices. Those that routinely offer gear at the lower end of this scale will routinely make a swift same day sale and those that are attentive and patient will get a good to average deal....
    I always seem to regret selling on Reverb but I have always managed to make a quick sale and overall done a fair trade that has been a pretty decent value for both sides. I am not getting the high digit full retail big bucks. Nor is the buyer getting the fire sale blowout price but works out to be OK fair trading deal on a decent quality more convieniently accessible stuff.
    There are ok deals to be made but you have to be right on top of it if ya wanna get the good stuff. Likewise if ya wanna sell gotta match the discount price and have the good stuff.

R.H likes this.
  6. Ed Hampton

Ed Hampton New Member

I have recently purchased and sold items on Reverb. When buying I'll make an offer to what I feel the item is worth. Usually 50-60% of new cost. Some sellers will take it some will not. If not... I just wait. With the "rona" being around things are up a bit cuz a lot of your local stores are closed. (Supply and demand). If you can wait it out and not "need" to buy that guitar, amp or pedal now, prices should fall when gigs and music stores start opening up again. Good Luck in your searches guys and gals!

7. AdrianDSL

AdrianDSL Active Member

Yeah, the gear price went up and the buyers are getting upset they can't feed their GAS quickly enough with the stuff they want here and now. Bit of a first world problem, eh?
    If I can't afford to buy something, I won't. If I want to sell something, I'm happy to charge as much as I can get away with. It's not essential goods or services we're talking about here, like food, power or hospital care, or are we?

thetragichero likes this.
  8. StingRay85

StingRay85 Well-Known Member

Items on Reverb are always overpriced. That's why I like selling at Reverb, and buy locally :D

9. Norfolk Martin

Norfolk Martin Member

So Reverb took 9.7% - $291 on a 3K sale Shipping must have been expensive. Or did the 3K include collecting sales tax?

10. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Reverb's fees are still les than ebay's fees. But you're paying for exposure. Lots of people see what you have to sell, and lots of stuff is available for you to look through.

thetragichero likes this.
  11. TheCount0212

TheCount0212 Active Member

With respect to the 2016 Epiphone Bonamassa Firebird I models, I think part of the explanation for the sharp increase in price is that the word is out that those are truly great guitars. (I own two. My luthier is not exactly an Epiphone fan, but he remarked at how well-made that model is.)

You don't see Gibson making those with the original-style banjo tuners and neck-thru construction anymore. The obscenity there is the price at which Gibson sells their recent, inferior Firebird offerings!

Kolanti likes this.
  12. TM1

TM1 Member

Reverb use to be a good deal.. then Chicago Music Exchange sold Reverb and the new owner jacked up all the fees... I won’t sell on there anymore! I used them for years and now it’s not a good deal for Anyone except Reverb..

Kolanti likes this.
  13. Kolanti

Kolanti Well-Known Member

how is this guitar holding? i wanna buy one in the future because i really want a single pickup guitar and its either this or a gibson sg jr. have you noticed anything bad? e.g. the strings are not alligned with the pickup well or neck dive etc?

14. Kolanti

i think we have the answer on why the prices are getting crazy. If reverb asks more money from the seller well then the seller is gonna increase the price

15. Derrick111

Derrick111 Member

Reverb sucks. But I want to blame the idiots paying these prices even more than the questionable business model of Reverb. But look out... if you think prices are bad now, wait till inflation catches up with what the USA is spending! Your dollars will be worth less and your GAS items will have even more stupid prices then they do currently. While I believe that, I am well aware that I am feeding the forward motion of my first statement regarding the idiots who pay too much.

Kolanti likes this.
  16. What?

What? Well-Known Member

I think it's going to take a few years for prices to get back to anything resembling normal, less if a massive crash happens. People are holding on to what they have right now + buying what they can afford + recent virus cash + tax season, and the buy low / sell high types are taking care of the rest of what is available in the used market. I have been seeing very little good quality used gear for sale in my area for months now. It's mostly the toss away stuff up for offer and the odd bird that no one really wants. Same in the local cosignment shop that usually has some gems to mull over. Make good use of what you have and ride it out, or help in perpetuating the situation further. Scarcity and inflated values have been established, and sellers are going to ride high prices for as long as they can.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  17. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

18. pleximaster

pleximaster Well-Known Member

In Sweden were I live (actually the the rock and pop related instrument dens per capita in the world) 90% of the music stores that were around 15 years ago are gone. So most new gear are sold online. With the few exceptions some stores specialize in used gear and still still have real physical stores even though most dealings are on line.

Therefore the web is were people sell their stuff, Facebook, reverb Ebay and Swedish on line forums. Prices are set and demand on the internet. We have however a "Price police" in line trolling most thing referring to 20 year old prices... :) :) :) keeping the prices down compared to European market. Good when buying bad when selling...

plexi

19. Kolanti

it is the same for the idiots who bought the new graphics cards and the new processors for PCs from Ebay scalpers. While the new card was like 700e msrp. they bought it for 2000e from ebay from a scalper. these people (idiots) are worse than the scalpers

20. StingRay85

StingRay85 Well-Known Member

Don't they buy them to mine for bitcoins? Maybe from a return-on-investment point of view it made sense to pay even 2000. Both are idiots. Maybe the company that produces the cards also, since they can't meet the demand.