Can We Talk about the Ridiculous Reverb prices?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Kolanti, Apr 2, 2021.

1. JamminJeff

JamminJeff Well-Known Member

Vote with your money. It has a tendency to solve trends in price gouging or cure artificial inflation. That said, many sellers know people purchase items based on emotion, especially luxury items, so if you "gotta have it" then you will pay whatever it takes to get it.

I do think that C 19 has caused an anomaly with music/hobby/luxury items, most of which will eventually return to the market place at sane prices.

Humans get bored and tired of stuff and unload it and then get some more different stuff which makes the world go around, or something like that.

DaDoc and Kolanti like this.
  2. thetragichero

thetragichero Well-Known Member

if you've ever had to deal with a shipping claim through the shipper (or even through eBay) that 2% is WELL worth it. couple minutes in the reverb support chat and I'm done with it, buyer is offered a flat amount if they don't get an estimate for repairs
    to get your item in front of a worldwide audience and likely get your asking price or close is well worth the other fees too, along with getting your money regardless of a buyer disputing their credit card transaction. win/win

anitoli likes this.
  3. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

Thank you.

4. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

IMO, used is the way to go.

Unfortunately, used prices are up too.

In any event, do your research and obtain what you want.

Many "boutique" pieces can be had for an "acceptable" $.

Be frugal.

Search.

5. MullardFillmore

MullardFillmore Member

The prices are crazy. Like old Japanese charvels for $1500?

maybe it’s all the cash getting handed out here in the US

6. CroTone

CroTone Active Member

I've noticed an increase in Reverb prices for pretty much everything, so your observation is correct.
    It is likely due to the COVID situation and many other socio-economic and market variables.

I don't find it a big problem. In the end, it is us as end-stage buyers who decide what is too much and what are we willing to pay.
    If I think stuff is overpriced, I will just not pull the trigger and wait until things get more normal. And the things tend to happen in cycles so the market will regulate itself soon.
    I still think that even in this situation you can get some very good deals, however, you need to be very attentative and follow the situation closely to be ready to pocket out when the right time comes. I recently scored some really good stuff for not much money.

thetragichero and Kolanti like this.
  7. Iron1

Iron1 Well-Known Member

IMO, a big part of it is Reverb/eBay charging more these days. When they're done nickel and diming the seller, it's like 12% of your sale price. They claim it's more like 5%, but with the "processing fee", "bump fee", (insert random other fee here) and the rest, prices are going to go up so the seller isn't losing out.

Then take into account the decrease in available new gear these days due to the pandemic, and (in the US at least) stimulus checks, tax refunds and such, plus the number of people with a lot more time on their hands to make music and >boom< it's a hotter market than it was a few years ago.

CroTone likes this.
  8. jamvu

jamvu Member

Guys and gals...this is simple.

Old stuff is far better than new stuff and if you want that classic tone and playability then you gotta go vintage and pay the price.

Don't tell me the new whatever amp (solid state) that mimics the classic amps like the JCM 800 or the Plexi is just as good as the original. Hogwash!

If you believe this, then I have a bridge in NY to sell you.

Same with the guitars, they don't make them like they used to. In 1975, my Les Paul wasn't made in Mexico. Enough said.

Peace,

Jamvu

9. MemphisMarshallMan

MemphisMarshallMan Active Member

I refuse to pay WAY over fair market value on music gear. I may pay a slight premium for very gently used gear or hard to find gear, but the prices I've seen on Reverb are crazy.

10. Goodguy

Goodguy New Member

"Too expensive" & "Crazy prices" relative to what? Your income, your past buying experience, the price of candy? Frankly, the market doesn't care what a few people think. Get over yourselves - as if the market should care that we think prices are "too expensive"...lol
    "Market Value" is what someone is willing to pay.

You only cry & complain because you have a past reference to what prices "used to be" - well who cares what prices "used to be" it's what they are now that matters.
    We are seeing inflation of everything from guitars, fuel, building materials, home prices, etc. due to poor economic policies by governments - it's gonna get much worse IMO.
    It is the roaring 20's all over again. You better get used to being pissed about prices for the foreseeable future. Get on the train or get run over by it but please stop acting like a 95 year old whining about how you remember when chewing gum was 25 cents.

11. stang90gt

stang90gt New Member

I think after the pandemic there will be an over flow of used gear for people that wanted to learn to play and gave up. I think a lot of people didn't have anything to do during the lockdowns so they picked up a guitar. Just my 2 cents

Marc Johnson likes this.
  12. Marc Johnson

Marc Johnson New Member

Here's an example of what some might call crazy - A Jackson Dinky with Deco Dream graphics came to be mine in 1992 for a reasonable sum of $550, including a chainsaw case. The same guitar (same serial number) is on Reverb right now, well used, for $3900. A few months ago, it was listed at near $6k. Someone out there might spend $3900 on a mint one, but in my experience, for a 6/10, anything over about $1800 is just unrealistic. Or maybe I'm just not understanding how much $4k isn't these days.

13. Marc Johnson

Marc Johnson New Member

There will be a ton of yard sale and pawn shop bargains to be had, that's for sure.

14. Losper

Losper New Member

This is the right answer. If you don't like the price, don't buy it.

The US has been injecting money into the market via direct payments to individuals - many of whom do not need them. Many are using their saved cash to make discretionary purchases for use during lockdowns. Excess demand raises prices...and I think we understand what inflation means, right?

The other thing is that Reverb was sold a short while back, and they increased the prices sellers have to pay. There's no way that isn't having an effect on prices either. My guess is you'll see a new platform rise to compete with Reverb over time. The barriers to entry have never been lower.

Kolanti likes this.
  15. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Yes yes

WMI, Cort, Sony, and Microsoft conspired to feed a bad batch of bat soup to some Chinese people to pocket your free gubmint money

Case solved

R.H likes this.
  16. R.H

R.H Robo Sapien Noisemaker Double Platinum Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

:io:

thetragichero likes this.
  17. dna9656

dna9656 Active Member

Regardless of the commodity (what is for sale); it's worth what the market is/will bear. Something is worth what some one will pay for it. The housing market is crazy stupid where I live, there is a very short supply of houses and apartments. This is because the county decided that to increase housing (encourage apartment construction) You had to have a 5 acre lot to build a house! Well that knocked new home construction rates right to the ground and ground (land) went to the moon! Amazon located a ware house nearby and there are rumors that a fam. software company will be relocating here. People are offing 10s of thousands over the appraised value to get a house! Were I in that position I'd get a travel trailer and park it at Walmart until the market corrected itself. Imagine owning $80,000 more than your house is worth and you did it to yourself! It's one thing to loose value to the normal fluctuations of the economy, it's another to do it to yourself.

18. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

I've noticed the prices going up myself. But that's a seller's option, and naturally they want to get as much out of whatever they're selling as they can. And in all fairness I'm sure there's a lot of sellers hurting right now with this pandemic B.S. and all.

I'll make the seller an offer, and see if they take me up on it or make a counteroffer. Or if they have no "make an offer" option, I'll just put it on my watch list, and wait for the item in question to either come down in price, or they decide to take offers.

Vintage stuff is a whole 'nother thing, but if it's a newer used item that they're trying to get slightly less than a new item price for, I just pass and buy new..Screw 'em!

A music store ain't gonna give someone more than 40-50% of what they paid for anything bought from them if they're trying to sell it back to the store or do a trade/upgrade anyhoo. And pawnshops? Forget it!

Places like Reverb and fleabay used to be a good place to find good deals on gear, but those days are gone forever..Too many people shopping online these days, and I'm betting that's only gonna get worse! One can actually find better deals in the local music stores these days if they have what one is looking for in stock..

19. Mrmadd

Mrmadd Active Member

There is plenty of gear out there at all prices.
    Just have to look hard for the good deals.
    The USA is still flooded with plenty of gear.

Spend wisely my son!

thetragichero likes this.
  20. Kolanti

Kolanti Well-Known Member

I think the best place to find used instruments in good prices are local sites. For example, in my country we have a well known site that is for used instrumetns. No middle man, nothing. you pay directly the owner and you can always come in an agreement. For example a friend of mine traded a Martin acoustic guitar, some pedals and 500 euros for a 61 Gibson Sg lol.
    I think locally you can struck the best deals. Even my JCM 800 was a trade with an Orange th30 and 300 euros lol

Mitchell Pearrow and DaDoc like this.