>

Can Somebody Explain Why?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by MarshallDog, Jul 7, 2021.

1. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I wouldn't trust anything is legit.

2. Geeze

Geeze Well-Known Member

Every year at the Dallas international guitar festival there was 1-2 Japanese crews that would buy PILES of guitars and didn't sell anything at the show - all going to Japan. I suspect they do that at many of the big shows.

Russ

3. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

Love Japan and nihon jin. Some of my best friends in college were from Japan. Yes, they appreciate artistry on the guitar. I wouldn't mind an R32 GTR. You can buy them in America now.

jimmyjames likes this.
  4. Caffeinated

Caffeinated Member

Depends on the dealer. There’s some real bargains in Japan due to tastes - not all guitars are equally appreciated everywhere and home markets tend to be hard on domestic product unless it’s locally seen as premium too. Not all Japanese vendors feel the need tor English language or even romanised sites though, so you can find yourself looking at pictures and price but nothing else at times. As always, buyers beware but yes, Japan is a country with a lot of guitars worth buying if you’re so inclined.

5. Dean Swindell

Dean Swindell Well-Known Member

I have to laugh at most of them. Listed right next to a nicer example of the same model, located here for 25% less. Don't they check??? It's a joke.

MarshallDog likes this.
  6. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

Part of it is that in Japan, Gibson has to compete with Tokai, Greco, Burny, Navigator, Momose, Bacchus, etc. Not just new stuff -- Japan is awash with '78~'85 "golden age" high end replicas.

7. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

They used to call Japan 'land of the rising sunburst'. That's why Gibson opened the Orville factory. I have an Orville by Gibson. It's a great guitar. I bought it on Ebay from Japan because it was the cheapest long tenon LP I could get. That was I think 2004. Still play it almost every day.
    Although the Japan economy has reportedly been in the toilet for decades they seem to have the cash to buy the best stuff.

Mitchell Pearrow and MarshallDog like this.