Can guitar amp & speaker handle a bass?

mrjones2004x

Reaction score
Just wondered.

Could I plug a bass into my jcm 900 mk3 amp with g12m and g12h speakers?
Question 1, would it ruin the speakers or amp?
Question 2, will it sound total crap?

Never tried to play bass or even tinkered with one and someone offered me one really cheap but have no desire to get an amp or correct cab. Wondered if I could use my rig I have without damaging it. Wouldn’t be loud just talking to singing volume.
If not I won’t bother.

Cheers 😄

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wondered.

Question 1, would it ruin the speakers or amp?
Question 2, will it sound total crap?

Never tried to play bass or even tinkered with one and someone offered me one really cheap but have no desire to get an amp or correct cab. Wondered if I could use my rig I have without damaging it. Wouldn’t be loud just talking to singing volume.
If not I won’t bother.

Cheers 😄
Q1 - it can, but if you keep the volume reasonable, you'll probably be fine.
Q2 - no, my son plays his bass in my amps when he visits.

I've seen a vid of speakers getting cone damage from a cranked bass - I don't let my son run his base through my 25w greenbacks.
I usually hook him up the DSL with a V30 & T-75
I've also heard it's a way to break in new speakers with low frequency cone movements.

lespaul339

Reaction score
I play my bass through my JTM 45 and a 4X12 with greenbacks once in a while. It sounds killer! I'm not playing it at super high volumes though. Haven't had any issues or speaker damage from it.

Eric'45

Reaction score
I'm no expert, but I'm quite certain that it can't damage the Amp itself in any way. You'd have to be careful with the speakers, though.
Just look at the earliest Marshall Amps: There were Lead, Bass and PA versions available, and they didn't differ drastically. THE CABS DIFFERED!
When I play Bass in a Band setting, I always use a Guitar Amp. The JTM45, just like a Fender Bassmann (which is not called like that by coincidence) were essentially Bass Amps in the early days. In fact, all the Plexis (and Laneys, Hiwatts, etc of that era) are equally suited for Bass and guitar, if you choose the right speakers.

If you stay a bit conservative with the Volume, it's totally fine to play Bass to a Guitar Amp. If you come to a point you hear your speakers distort, it may be time to back off a little. Other than that, you might even break them in nicely.

mrjones2004x

Reaction score
Cool thanks guys. Was gonna be quiet volume for a general practice to learn and see what bass is all about. One of my speakers has a repair from many moons back so wasn’t sure to risk it or not. My speakers are both from the 1970s I think. The repaired one is a G12H 75hz 003 cone and the other a G12M 444 cone.

Repaired speaker pics attached. No idea who did it or what the repair actually was.

I’ll think about it or maybe I’ll pick up one of those £20 cheap practice combos you see at every cash converters

spacerocker

Reaction score
I used to play Bass through my 2203 Clean channel and 1968 4x12 Cab at jam sessions years ago! It sounded pretty good! It wasn't particularly quiet, and I was asked to turn down a couple of times!

Needless to say 2203 and Vintage Cab both survived!

P.Bass

Reaction score
Cool thanks guys. Was gonna be quiet volume for a general practice to learn and see what bass is all about. One of my speakers has a repair from many moons back so wasn’t sure to risk it or not. My speakers are both from the 1970s I think. The repaired one is a G12H 75hz 003 cone and the other a G12M 444 cone.
the 444 cone is a Bass speaker cone, if I'm well informed.

EADGBE

Reaction score
They say don't play loud. I wouldn't try it myself.

junk notes

Reaction score
FWIW Marshalls bass series 2x12 1937 used 12" bass coned G12-65 and G12T-75.

Wondered if I could use my rig I have without damaging it. Wouldn’t be loud just talking to singing volume.

For low volume bass playing (practicing) on the guitar amp is as safe as you keep this rule, or consequences will follow.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Celestion put out this vid on the subject about 10 years ago.
It is a test to destruction though!
But it shows what is going on with the wrong frequencies going through a guitar speaker.

Latest posts