Cabinets, Tolex, Grill Cloth... and Cats

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by F86, Oct 22, 2020.

1. F86

F86 New Member

So... I may be adopting a kitten soon. My concern is my living room, which is always some variation on this picture. Kittens like using their claws to climb things. I thought about draping sheets over everything, but sheets lose against claws. Has anyone had any creative solution for a similar concern? I'm pretty opposed to declawing, so that isn't really an option. I don't really use the 2210/4x12 these days, so I could just spin that around (although it's still all perfect tolex on the back). The JMP half stack will end up at my bands rehearsal room mostly (but not always), but there's still the 4104, the JTM30 w/extension cabinet, etc. I've thought about large sheets of cardboard when I'm not playing, but that might actually encourage climbing...

Maybe I'll get lucky and he won't be a scratcher, but that seems like a remote chance. Trying to plan for worst case...

IMG_20201022_163156.jpg

2. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Put some scratching posts in there with catnip. And get covers for your amps. I have zero problems with our cat amd have no scratching posts in there, just covers. Tolex isn't the best scratching material for cats.
    Nice collection of goodies there too!!

3. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

I drape towels...

sheets would probably work, as they aren't scratchable...

JBA, Chris-in-LA, tce63 and 4 others like this.
  4. 80sTone

80sTone Active Member

I have had several cats - your bigger worry might be furniture...They dont touch the tolex that I have ever seen

scozz, tce63, Sapient and 3 others like this.
  5. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Welcome to the forum
    Our cats have never messed with the amps , but they are no longer kittens, we only have one left (cat) but she doesn’t play with them at all.
    Good luck
    Cheers
    Mitch

scozz, DonP, tce63 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Sapient

Sapient Reformed Witchdoctor Silver Supporting Member Platinum Supporting Member

Mine will go for the grill cloth. I learned early on, at least for me anyway, you either display your amps or have cats. I'll take the cats any day. Maybe you will have good luck but statistically speaking, you most likely won't.

JBA and tce63 like this.
  7. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

"No cat room". Keep your gear in a room where the cat can never go. That's step 1.

Step 2 is to get covers for everything.

Step 3 is to give the cat scratching posts so they can scratch on something that satisfies them.

I'm not in favor of declawing, either. That's nothing less than amputating all the cat's fingertips.

8. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Any of your amps carpeted in that Rat Fur called 'Ozite'?
    My heart goes out to bass players that seem to have a 50/50 chance of their rigs being covered in Ozite.
    A scratchy cats delight!
    And even if they don't scratch at it, they show their full ownership through all the fur that it attracts so well.

fender cab torn.jpg
    https://www.talkbass.com/threads/amp-vs-cats.1323003/

I've just bought the 25W version of one of these off eBay.
    I didn't tick the box for a free cat though!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    StingRay85, Del Rei, Adieu and 2 others like this.
  9. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Get a goldfish. :yesway:

10. DonP

DonP Active Member

Never had issues with cats and amps. The cats weren't around amps when they were little, so I guess they didn't learn bad habits from the beginning.

But I will say this, they love cardboard scratchers or boxes. I also have the rope wrapped around a pole scratcher that they like.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  11. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

A chunk of tree with bark attached to a base where it stands uprite is a kitty favorite cause they can stretch out and really dig in.

12. clutch71

clutch71 Well-Known Member

I agree with the catnip/scratching post and would offer cutting the nails yourself. Trick is to handle the paws a lot when they are little. Once they are comfortable pop the claws out by pushing on the center pad and with a pair regular nail clippers, snip of the sharp bit of the claw off. This prevents them from "locking" into things when they do try to scratch. A firm "No" or a shake of a can with pennies will help condition them where not to scratch.

I did that with Edward (on my lap dead asleep as I type this) and he has never sunk his claws into anything except where we have conditioned him to scratch.

13. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

If you have no pets, carpet covered amps are pretty nice

A bit extra cushioning is good if you move it around a lot, less likely to scuff your vehicle or other stuff in your cargo area

14. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I’m happy to hear that de-clawing is not an option you’re considering.

15. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

I am happy also about you not wanting to de-claw. When i hear someone say they have that in the works i know I'm wasting my time.

What we do is start them early on trimming their claws and what's theirs to scratch and sleep. Keep with the training and it will become normal life to them and a level of trust is developed.

I've had great succes with corrugated cardboard scratchers. They are around shoebox lid size. Cheap, and our cats have loved them. My wife and i have never had any problems.

Greg70 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  16. Del Rei

Del Rei Well-Known Member

Nice, man.
    Cats are good friends! :)

I have covers for all my gear, but sometimes I let them uncovered for some days and never had problems.

But it’s important they have a scratch post.

17. DC135er

DC135er Member

You can have the cat's front claws removed. If you elect that option, make sure the cat never gets into a fight. It won't be able to defend itself.

18. cmcd-usc

cmcd-usc New Member

There used to be a product called Softpaws that your vet could periodically put on the cat’s front claws. They were essentially little rubber covers for claws that mitigate scratch damage by turning the knife points into blunt knobs. Kind of like rubber hardwood floor protectors used for furniture legs. It’s not a permanent/perfect solution and they had to be reinstalled periodically, but it may be something to look into if you’re opposed to declawing. As someone who as owned many cats, scratching posts, catnip, etc. will work with some cats and others will totally ignore them. Their behavior is far more capricious and unpredictable than that of dogs. Good luck.

EDIT: Softpaws is still around... site wouldn’t let me post a link but it’ll come up if you Google.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  19. masher_uk

masher_uk Member

Thanks for being opposed to declawing. It's not fair on the cat and here in the UK it's illegal on the grounds of animal cruelty.

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  20. Gaz Baker

Gaz Baker Well-Known Member

Eucalyptus or pepper will deter cats and dogs.
    Double sided tape deters them from scratching too.
    Failing that, crank that bitch up and they will fall in line.