Cab build: how to fix?

RJW

Reaction score
I’ve started another cab build. I cut and glued the pieces for the panels and frame that the back panel will attach too.

However, I forgot to leave room to insert the baffle through the back. With the added frame, it won’t fit without being that much smaller.

The dimensions are 29.5x19x11.25” (slightly smaller than the MX212.) Everything is 3/4” pine except the back panel and baffle which are 1/2” MDF. Therefore the rear frame is 1/2” away from the edge. The pieces for the frames are 1.5” wide.

Also, I would like the front to have a larger frame similar to the “picture frame” look of the orange cabs.

What are my options?

1. Make the back the front and adjust accordingly?

2. Cut a gap in the vertical pieces of the rear frame? In my last build. I left a 3+ inch gap for this reason but it was cut that way before gluing.

3. Knock the frame out and retry?

4. Restart completely?

other?

Im kinda leaning toward option 2. 63745596-EED5-408F-A5C7-84809716C961.jpeg

Last edited:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I’ve started another cab build. I cut and glued the pieces for the panels and frame that the back panel will attach too.

However, I forgot to leave room to insert the baffle through the back. With the added frame, it won’t fit without being that much smaller.

The dimensions are 29.5x19x11.25” (slightly smaller than the MX212.) Everything is 3/4” pine except the back panel and baffle which are 1/2” MDF. Therefore the rear frame is 1/2” away from the edge. The pieces for the frames are 1.5” wide.

Also, I would like the front to have a larger frame similar to the “picture frame” look of the orange cabs.

What are my options?

1. Make the back the front and adjust accordingly?

2. Cut a gap in the vertical pieces of the rear frame? In my last build. I left a 3+ inch gap for this reason but it was cut that way before gluing.

3. Knock the frame out and retry?

4. Restart completely?

other?

Im kinda leaning toward option 2. View attachment 100475
Pop it out with a rubber mallet.

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This.

Eric'45

Reaction score
It looks like it's just been glued so it's not that hard to remove the Frame, I would just redo it.

Eric'45

Reaction score
I would make the 2 Cuts on each side, and use a sharp, wide Chisel to chip it off. You could split the wood in the middle with the Chisel, and then scrape away the remaining glue.

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
How should I do that? I’m thinking mark the lines, cut down to the panel, maybe razor blade the glue at the edge? And knock it out with a mallet.

would you do it differently?
Depends on the tools you have.
I'd make saw cuts with a hand saw at the top and down a few inches on the side.
Chisel out the bulk of what you want to remove.
Use a rasp or file to smooth off.
It's never going to be seen, so beauty is not a requirement.

RJW

Reaction score
It looks like it's just been glued so it's not that hard to remove the Frame, I would just redo it.

it has dried in the clamps overnight. Slightly less than 24h by now

Eric'45

Reaction score
Wrong choice of words on my side. I wanted to imply it's only glued, and you don't have nails to pull out, or such things. The Glue should be somewhat brittle by now, so removing a section should be a problem.

Reactions: RJW

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
it has dried in the clamps overnight. Slightly less than 24h by now
Take a piece of 2x4 on its end and hit it with a hammer to knock the two smaller pieces out. I think they will pop right out.

RJW

Reaction score
F199C8A0-4774-4C6F-AEA3-B79785268F64.jpeg
Pop it out with a rubber mallet.

#2 would be my choice as well!

I would make the 2 Cuts on each side, and use a sharp, wide Chisel to chip it off. You could split the wood in the middle with the Chisel, and then scrape away the remaining glue.

Depends on the tools you have.
I'd make saw cuts with a hand saw at the top and down a few inches on the side.
Chisel out the bulk of what you want to remove.
Use a rasp or file to smooth off.
It's never going to be seen, so beauty is not a requirement.
Update: I cut a gap into the vertical pieces of the frame. I chose a 45 degree angle to help slide the baffle through. I used a dovetail saw and razor blade but that wasn’t enough. It took using an oscillating tool to get under the piece and through the glue.

For better or worse. Here’s where I’m at:

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 100499

Update: I cut a gap into the vertical pieces of the frame. I chose a 45 degree angle to help slide the baffle through. I used a dovetail saw and razor blade but that wasn’t enough. It took using an oscillating tool to get under the piece and through the glue.

For better or worse. Here’s where I’m at:
That looks fine.
Great save!