Buying guitar and payments? Why is this!

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Msharky67, Sep 21, 2021.

1. Msharky67

Msharky67 Well-Known Member

I was looking at what making payments would be on a new guitar. I am a little confused about why the payments seem to vary. On reverb for example there is the affinity or something and the payments are $56 for 24 months. I go on Sweetwater and the payments are $31 for 24 months. When I calculate it for 48 months it comes out to something different. Why is there a difference and which is the best deal? You would think with everything going on that the used market would be huge right now. If anybody has noticed there is almost nothing used and whatever there is just as much as a new one. And hearing that there might be another price hike before the holidays is not a good sign. I fear I will not be able to find anything and feel like I could get a decent deal. Its like buying a car. You never walk out feeling you got a great deal. More like getting your ass taken.

DaDoc likes this.
  2. Msharky67

Msharky67 Well-Known Member

Musicians Friend has there rewards program which does give you some back. Its something at least.

3. Sapient

Sapient   Gold Supporting Member

Affirm. Sure it isn't the interest rate? Affirm charges interest and I believe Sweetwater does not.

4. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

If you want it and can afford it, get it.
    If you don't want or can't afford it, don't get it, stop worrying of the best deal and crap.
    Use your balls, or just keep looking for them!

Wenander, StrummerJoe, Geeze and 8 others like this.
  5. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

That’s how they make their money. Sweetwater, and others like them, make their money buy selling the guitar. I say if your going to go into hock on a guitar buy a good one. Maybe put a grand down on it, then split it up over 2-3 years. At least get something that will still be giving you inspiration after paying it off.

6. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

All the big box stores seem to offer zero interest, thats the way you should go. Also look at zzounds.com they always seem to have good deals going on there.

7. Wezie Guitar lover

Wezie Guitar lover Well-Known Member

Ay Guitar Center they hold the guitars for a few days by law if it is used. So we make 2 payments then pick it up. Easy.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  8. Ramo

Ramo Well-Known Member

its all about interest rates, it varies from lender to lender. They want to make money by giving you the option to pay in instalments. If I dont have the money I dont buy payment plan options, I have in the past and ever again.

just save up and buy when you have the money.

9. PowerTube44

PowerTube44 Well-Known Member

Or, just order the best guitar on the planet, a Kiesel, have it built to your exact specs, buy it on a credit card and just make the credit card payments.

:)

Mitchell Pearrow and anitoli like this.
  10. JeffMcLeod

JeffMcLeod Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

If you're buying new, get one of the store cards, e.g. Sweetwater or GC or Musician's Friend. The interest is approximately 0% for like 2-4 years, depending on what you buy

:coffee:

[​IMG]

11. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

Yeah, Affirm has a pretty hefty interest rate, I've used it on some emergency good deals, still came out okay.

12. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

If you are willing to pay interest on a small ticket item such as a guitar then you really can't complain about price hikes. You are adding more to the price by doing so.

13. Sapient

Sapient   Gold Supporting Member

You could acquire someone else's credit information and use theirs for your purchases. Getting their social security number could ultimately be more beneficial though.

All with their permission, of course. :D

14. Edgar Frog

Edgar Frog Well-Known Member

Just save your money and pay with cash. IMHO it's not worth getting tied down with payments no matter if you're getting it interest free or not. Anything can happen in those couple years and can ultimately screw you. Definitely don't do it for any interest type at all, it's just throwing money in the wind. Some places get you with no interest and then if you're late on a payment or whatever they hit you with the interest then.

Some of the big stores let you use your own debit or credit card and take the payment out automatically every month but that can come at a price as well. I'm against buying anything on credit and just giving money away for nothing or having anything held over my head so my opinion is different than most. If you can have money to keep around for payments then you can just save and pay for it all at once and be done with it and have nothing hanging over you.

15. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

I would go with Sweetwater all day . You will have protection versus Reverb where you are on your own . Sweetwater , is a place where you should do good .

Rikamortis and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  16. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

Well this is the best bang for the buck always , to be able to pay for it in cash and not have payments .

17. anitoli

Yup. I went cash only in 2016 and ain't going back. I will not pay 27% on something that costs $3k. That would add another $810 to a 3k guitar. Nope. No cash, no buy.

18. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Because people who pay in installments can't count

ricksdisconnected and Sapient like this.
  19. PaulHikeS2

PaulHikeS2 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

If you can afford to make the payments, and a retailer is offering 0% financing, that's always the cheapest way to go, assuming there isn't an initial service fee. Cheaper than paying cash up front.

20. anitoli

??????
    How is making payments any cheaper that just buying it?

ricksdisconnected likes this.