Bugera for metal?

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by ItzUknown, Nov 25, 2020.

?

IS the Bugera G5 Infinium good for Metal?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Probably

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. No

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. ItzUknown

ItzUknown Member

Thanks mate, the 333XL that @Garrett suggested is amazing but over 400 euros and close to 500. For that I could get a 6262. The only way I'll buy a used amp if the deal I found on a 6260 combo 2x12 for 280 euros goes through. The problem is the guy is charging 265 euros for shipping but also says that shipping is free XD. Will most likely go for the Bugera g5 and the 2x12 cab from Harley Benton. Otherwise, if something goes south with the first pick I'll get the Marshall DSL1HR and the Marshall Origin 4x12, really keen on the first one though! As @SkyMonkey said before due to me having a distortion pedal, I can choose from a lot of amps. It is going to be an amazing Christmas. (Also this is my first cab and Head setup, right now I have a Fender Mustang which I love the clean sound on, also has a dozen or more effects which are amazing)

pedecamp likes this.
  2. fitz288

fitz288 Apprentice Fermi's Paradox Analyst Silver Supporting Member

Some reference reading for you.

Guitar Amp Overdrive for the Studio: The 5 Stages of Tone — SonicScoop

I've been following your multiple threads on your new amp quest.
    You are on a budget, have neighbors upstairs & a family a few rooms away.
    You want something bigger than your Fender Mustang and distortion pedal, and have been looking for advice.
    You want "metal" sound and have come to the conclusion that a tube amp is the path to go down.

Tube amps get that "metal" sound when they are pushed to saturation.
    It is truly a nirvana of tone that everyone should experience, and quite unlike anything you can get from a little solid state combo.
    If I push my DSL20H on an 80 watt 1x12 cab to saturation, a glass of water will vibrate on the kitchen table, at my neighbors house across the street.

The 1 to 5 watt range is a great place to start.
    A 1x12 cab is going to take everything those amps put out, and then some.
    Forget about a 1 watt amp on a 240 watt 4x12, that is a waste of both, and your money.
    You are aware of matching the output ohms from the jack on the back of the amp and the jack on the back of cab.
    Consider matching the wattage of your amp and cab along with the ohms.

Size doesn't equate to volume of sound.
    But if you just want "big" amp looks, I understand.
    I decorate with amps.
    I think the 2x12 with the 5 watt amp would be your best middle of the road solution for tone and budget.

3. mmrizio

mmrizio Member

Pushing amps into saturation is indeed a godly feeling. High volume does help make an impressive sound, and because of the characteristics (limitations) in a lot of (Marshall) amps it is a requirement for them to sound good. But there are quite a few amps that sound well at lower volumes, if you accept you can only move the master volume a bit before it gets too loud.

But metal guitar sounds don't rely as much on poweramp distortion than other guitar sounds. With a bit of generalization:
    - Metal pedals can get close, but often sound cold and flat. Advantage is they are less expensive, so you can change/experiment to find the sound you like best.
    - Preamp distortion uses multiple overdriven gain stages, and is often 'creamier, richer' than pedals. Most of the metal sounds are produced by preamp tubes pushed over their limit, sometimes pushed a bit by an OD/booster/EQ pedal.
    - Poweramp distortion - in combination with some preamp distortion can get you in the classic metal ballpark as well. But tight and modern metal is not easy if you make the poweramp distort. And it requires a soundproof studio or attenuator. But most modern metal sounds use a 'clean' poweramp, and shape the sound in the preamp.

So if I were to buy a new amp, my primary requirement would be that I can get my (metal) sound(s) out of the preamp at a volume that works for me. Don't just rely on Youtube videos; go to a store and try a few! I would not get carried away by differences between 1w-5w-20w-100w amps.

fitz288 likes this.
  4. Crunchifyable

Crunchifyable Well-Known Member

Second the 333XL for metal. Also the 6262.

Have you considered the Peavey 6505 mini? That's pretty metal too.

I have the black star ht-5 which is what the G5 is based on. It's a good low gain classic rock amp but not really suitable for metal. Yes it can do metal but never with the authority of a more metal friendly amp. The EQ and gain structure just isn't right for that.

You don't have to follow any specific path to get you what you want. I'm just saying you will probably be disappointed with the G5.

Also the Joyo ZoMBie is said to be based on a Mesa Boogie. People have said its awesome.

And also, a Boss Metal Zone Into the effects return of any amp is cheap cheap metal.. it gets a bad reputation but that's because it sounds like crap through many clean channels.

For me, I use the 333XL for old school metal. 6262 for anything modern and detuned.

The Ht-5 is more of a classic rock amp. If you gain it up it can be a death metal amp but it won't sound good and the low end is crap.

It would be nice if they made a 333XL in a pedal.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    fitz288 likes this.
  5. ItzUknown

ItzUknown Member

T
    Yeah, what you said sums up my request. I don't want a 1x12 because I think they are a little too small but not a 4x12 because they are big and as you said a waste of money. Was looking at them only because of the ohms. I agree that the Bugera along with a 2x12 is a better choice, and more economical as well.

6. ItzUknown

ItzUknown Member

Well I agree with what you said, but there are 2 music stores where I live and both sell more classical guitars. They have like 5 amps in total! Youtube, reviews and forums are unfortunately the only place where I can get my knowledge (In regards to music).

7. ItzUknown

ItzUknown Member

Hahaha I like the idea of the 333xl pedal XD. Emm I was thinking about the Joyo. I have seen a lot of reviews and yeah people are happy with it. I just don't know 1) If it takes pedals well and 2) If the Gain, Tone, Volume knobs are enough. I'm a noob when it comes to amps so... XD

8. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

333xl would be a good choice for not breaking the budget . They are versatile .

9. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

You don’t have to get to stressed about the ohms it is important but 2 x 8 ohm speaker can be wired for 16. My old Carvin 2x12 slant cab uses 8 ohm speaker but is wired with a switch to be 4ohm or 16 ohm .

10. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Try to chase down a Bugera combo like a 6262 or 333XL

Their speakers are surprisingly pretty decent with their amps, seems like they actually picked a good EQ profile to match their amps (not like "buy their cabs for real money" good, but quite alright when a combo costs the same or like 100 bucks more than a head).

I ended up replacing mine eventually with a used UK Celestion V30+MC90 pair which was better... but V30+MC90 is pretty damn high end.

PS they're pretty dang loud for personal use... although, at least for sure in the case of the serial loop 6262, any volume box / EQ / 250k-volume-pot-spliced-into-cable through the FX loop works as a master volume multiplier and can reduce it to whisper quiet

Crunchifyable likes this.
  11. Crunchifyable

That's good to realize. the 6262 Lead channel has a huge volume level that's either off or loud. I personally run it with an attenuator at the lowest setting (maybe -10db), and it has the same effect of bringing that channel down and the rest of the amp too, though if I'm only only using the crunch and rhythm channel, it is not necessary. In fact I don't really find the lead channel to be usable unless it involves recording or detuned guitars, 7 string guitars, etc. Then it really shines.

The 333XL doesn't need any of that. Has very responsive master volume, and very responsive tone controls that allow for any tone at any level. It has gobs of compression and sustain and mids that go from brown and wahish to scooped and And Justice for All.

It's kind of overkill for home use but not by much if you have the space for a full size head. I think Joe Satriani was a freakin genius for having Peavey make it this way in the JSX.

And as far as speakers go, its all relative. I've never used vintage 30s, I don't think I'd like them. I figure my amps were made for Greenbacks and similar and sound best with them. But best is all relative.

12. ItzUknown

ItzUknown Member

I get what you saying. Also, I found a site that they sell an Ashton GA100H for 230 euros. Does anyone here know anything about this thing. Also not really keen on used things especially where the majority of them (That I find) are located literally in the other side of the world (America)

13. ItzUknown

ItzUknown Member

Yeah I understand the thing with the volume and also the speaker thing makes sense. To be honest I could wait like 7 months and buy the 333xl and a cab brand new, though I will have to wait for that long XD (Impatient). I probably have to learn the guitar some more (Played 3 years classical and like 5 months electric). In June I'll be playing electric guitar for a year and I'll also start lessons. Anyone have in mind a cabinet for the 333xl?

14. Crunchifyable

I think its a very flexible amp that will take just about any british flavored (celestion or celestion inspired) cab. Ideally you try out a few cabs with the amp.

I don't really know about the Bugera cabs but they probably aren't a bad place to start. Or some used Marshall / Peavey / whatever cab.

If I had to do it all again and I didn't have access to Hellatone 25s (they are made in the USA at a reduced price), I'd probably go with a 2x12 with creambacks or a 4x12 with some kind of greenbackish speaker (maybe a Peavey cab). That's because I'm not personally a fan of v30s and prefer the softer less harsh upper midrange of greenbacks.

Half stack is really overkill but nothing sounds better (except maybe a full stack...).

I've done the 333xl into a 1x12 with a hellatone 25 and it was good too (but had an attenuator setup so that it could not produce over 25 watts...not as if I'm going to produce over 1 watt with a speaker three feet from my head).

15. ItzUknown

ItzUknown Member

Yeah I probably like V30s because I like a harsher sound. I'll search it up. If I buy that Bugera I'll have about 300 euros for a cab. Another alternative will be the Origin 20H but right now thinking about the 2x12 from Harley Benton. Will research more though for sure. Thanks for the help!!

16. Mrmadd

Mrmadd Active Member

You can not go wrong sticking with MARSHALL
    MARSHALL INVENTED METAL!
    For cheap Marshalls, look at Valvestates used or MG series. For cheap amps, they sound great.
    Marshall AVT20 is great hybrd amp for reasonable price.

fitz288 likes this.
  17. Old Punker

Old Punker Well-Known Member

I don't play metal but hardcore punk is very hard, fast, and aggressive. A lot of hardcore bands used Russian made Sovtek amps back in the day. They are no frills, have great tone, and loud as [email protected]#k when you crank them. They also take pedals really well and are tough as nails. The Mig 60 is ballsy and is often used for metal and is similar to a Marshall JCM 800. It can get outrageous tones when boosted. Electro Harmonix has made a reissue of the Mig 50. All of these are usually quite affordable and you can probably find them more easily in Europe.

Here is a clip of a guy playing a Mig 50

18. Crunchifyable

How about an amp sim of a Bugera? :dude:

Yes, TH-U has included an amp sim based on a Bugera 333 in their TH-U, Possibly in their TH-U metal pack. (I haven't bought it ...but playing with the demo).

And I don't like all the presets but the Puntera 333 as they call it, sounds spot on. The EQ controls are powerful like the amp. I guess I hate the fender / Marshall tonestack. It doesn't really do anything.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
    steveb63 likes this.