Buffer And Wah?

GuitarIV

Reaction score
Hey,

so a week ago I rebuilt my pedalboard and today I have been playing with my wah. It sounded kinda dull and the sweep seemed to have very little effect, this has been bugging me up to the point where I considered getting a different model as the one I have is the most basic Crybaby.

Then I remembered something from a video by Brian Wampler where he said he prefers his guitar to go straight into the Wah without a buffer in front of it. Seeing how Boss pedals are buffered and my tuner is first in chain I unplugged the cables and went straight into the Wah.

Waaay better. Suddenly the sweep had a much wider range again and the effect was as pronounced as can be. No need for a different wah. Looks like I have to change up my board again.

Anyone else noticed this? What are your observations? Do tell.

Cheers

BanditPanda

Reaction score
There are many opinions about the quality of the buffer in Boss pedals.
Wah first, buffered tuner right after it.
Apparently buffers, to be at their most effective, need to be as close to the signal source as possible.

mickeydg5

Reaction score
Buffers are just amplifiers basically. They can be EQ'd. No one thinks of that and specifications do not disclose how they are "voiced" in the circuit.

You definitely want a WAH located in a place where specific frequencies are not truncated or you at least have control of those frequencies.

Last edited:

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
Hey,

so a week ago I rebuilt my pedalboard and today I have been playing with my wah. It sounded kinda dull and the sweep seemed to have very little effect, this has been bugging me up to the point where I considered getting a different model as the one I have is the most basic Crybaby.

Then I remembered something from a video by Brian Wampler where he said he prefers his guitar to go straight into the Wah without a buffer in front of it. Seeing how Boss pedals are buffered and my tuner is first in chain I unplugged the cables and went straight into the Wah.

Waaay better. Suddenly the sweep had a much wider range again and the effect was as pronounced as can be. No need for a different wah. Looks like I have to change up my board again.

Cheers

the sweep seemed to have very little effect,

The wha is out of adjustment. ---or the battery is dead.
The gear needs to be adjusted to the correct position. (this is critical)
Then the pedal will work 100% correctly hopefully.

adjust the gear to the sweet spot, and lock it down.

LyseFar

Reaction score
Hey,

Cheers
Yes - I run my 95q wah second - after my fuzz wich is true bypass and no buffers to prevent exactly what you describe.

mickeydg5

Reaction score
Its at your discretion. Learn the best location to place it and handle it in your setup.

Wahs are weird anyway. Wha, wah, wouh.

Last edited:

GuitarIV

Reaction score
Well I will rewire my pedalboard. Fuzz is gonna be first in line. Just fgured I like it more that way :)

Blues'n'Booze

Reaction score
Quite right in your discoveries, with experimentation sometimes a way to go, in that Wah’s tend not to like a buffer of any quality in front of them. You’ll also find that can be the case with some Fuzz circuits

El Gringo

Reaction score
Hey,

Cheers
That is exactly my first pedal in my chain (Cry Baby) , then the MXR Phase 90, then I go into my BOSS Pedals with TU-3, BF-2, CH-1, DD-7. Someone recommended it to me when I got the tuner and I was trying to figure out the placement and to my ears this way robs the least amount of tone as that is something I seriously detest about pedals . Life without pedals would be so boring !

Latest posts