Brushless DC motor wiring help!!

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by marco_giampa23, Sep 21, 2020.

1. marco_giampa23

marco_giampa23 Well-Known Member

So ive recently come up on an ebike that was crashed and has had some wiring broken, its just generic chinese parts and i have used my guitar wiring knowledge to get pretty much all of it working, but the motor is a Brushless DC 3 phase motor with white, brown and blue wires coming from it, and it connects to 3 wires on the controller which are green, blue and yellow. Every wiring diagram shows both controller and motor having the latter mentioned colour combination.

Either, how do i work out which goes to which, or, if i were to wire them the worng way, what would happen, like would it just spin the wrong way or will i short stuff?

Thought i might ask here because you guys are just great with this stuff, i think this is the right forum to post this

2. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

You have to find the ground . Is the bike frame ground

3. marco_giampa23

the motor casing is ground, but its 3 phase so their isnt a positive and negative

4. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

Try to find the data sheet on the motor. All three wires are power and the case is ground . The power is not straight off of the battery It may have switching device for the polarity . I’m not a expert on this so do some research

5. marco_giampa23

yeah it has a controller, all the diagrams show green, blue, yellow wires so you just match them, since when has anyone used white, blue, brown?

6. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer Forum Support Spec. Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

7. marco_giampa23

Vinsanitizer likes this.