Brown sound with DSL, 800 or Origin20?

Msharky67

Reaction score
I know this topic has been asked before probably but has anybody ever gotten a good brown sound from either a DSL, 800 or Origin20? I have been pondering the idea and wondered if anybody had any settings or chain of effects to get there. Is it even possible? Or is there a budget option that somebody knows? Post clips if you have them.

jeffb

Reaction score
Of the three I'd start with the 2203/4 (assuming that is what you meant- the 800 is a series of amps, not an amp)

And some judicious use of outboard EQ and/or a pedal along with the right speakers.

None of them are very good candidates however, but 2203 will at least have a snappy percussive attack. The Origin is not tight or focused enough, and the DSL is compressed to hell and really lacks a percussive attack.

Burt really you are barking up the wrong tree with any of those, and you'd probably just end up wasting a bunch of money.

Buy a SV20 and start from there.

Msharky67

Reaction score
Of the three I'd start with the 2203/4 (assuming that is what you meant- the 800 is a series of amps, not an amp)

And some judicious use of outboard EQ and/or a pedal along with the right speakers.

None of them are very good candidates however, but 2203 will at least have a snappy percussive attack. The Origin is not tight or focused enough, and the DSL is compressed to hell and really lacks a percussive attack.

Burt really you are barking up the wrong tree with any of those, and you'd probably just end up wasting a bunch of money.

Buy a SV20 and start from there.
The SV20h is on my wish list but not this year. I am saving up. It will be worth the wait. Prices on everything are too much now and who knows how long. I am not charging anything. I am satisfied with my setup now.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
…….. IDK if there is some "history" I'm missing, if so...sorry?

jeffb

Reaction score
13 pages of a "stuff it too expensive" thread. I think I'll pass on catching up :lol:

My advice to the OP still stands-buy the hotdogs you want, your cheeseburgers will never taste the same :thumbs:

V-man

Reaction score
To get the brown sound, one should probably understand what it is first…

Start Here…

… Then here…

And also here…

The Brown Sound (minus some other things, like the fingers) is

- an Ibanez Destroyer with the right pickup (some gear nerd dropped like 6-10 sets in his in a shootout to trace Eddie’s)

- a vintage Plexi (with 6CA7s )

- a Variac to starve the voltage and create appropriate sag

- Post-FX (loop, DI/Dummy Box, IR) for Flange and Phase

- masterful Templeton-esque use of post-signal plate reverb

Some things can be substituted without a significant effect, some cannot.

V-man

Reaction score
Pedal is pretty good bought one for my fender don't use it much though
As I appreciate it, these are all terribly misleading. Every one of those pedals seems (at best) to give a sterile clean amp a hot-rodded plexi sound… ‘n moar! There is nothing any more appreciable with these gimmick stomps between the VH1 sound and the Kill ‘em All sound.

The variac sag is a requirement, The post-signal reverb is a requirement.

That is not to say that some of these placed in front of your clean channel or bypassing your amp in the FX loop won’t give you a solid starting point for a Plexi-style tone, but you will need a DI/IR and appropriate plug-ins or the modulation FX, delay and reverb pedals in your loop (either path will be similarly pricey)… and if/when you are serious, a variac (not expensive) plus a rebias of your tubes.

Notice also via option 1 that you have pretty much made your amp(s) useless if you aren’t willing to commit all the way with the variac. Here you could just as easily ditch the amp and plug into one of those aforementioned plexi-flavored MiaB pedals, then run your signal straight into your DAW, using Blackback and JBL speaker simulator IRs, then mix delay, reverb and modulation via plugins.

ken361

Reaction score
I first tried the 5150 pedal in a a dsl 100 into the clean channel then tried the 5150 lbx into a 412 Marshall they sounded pretty identical at lower store volumes. Had a dsl40 it did well also my vintage modern sounds great with my evh guitar, like over my Studio Vintage

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
To get the brown sound, one should probably understand what it is first…

Start Here…

… Then here…

And also here…

The Brown Sound (minus some other things, like the fingers) is

- an Ibanez Destroyer with the right pickup (some gear nerd dropped like 6-10 sets in his in a shootout to trace Eddie’s)

- a vintage Plexi (with 6CA7s )

- a Variac to starve the voltage and create appropriate sag

- Post-FX (loop, DI/Dummy Box, IR) for Flange and Phase

- masterful Templeton-esque use of post-signal plate reverb

Some things can be substituted without a significant effect, some cannot.
Beat me to it.

Latest posts