Brown 1970 turret board, help?

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Vintage' started by Matthews Guitars, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

So I'm finally getting around to rebuilding my longstanding 1970 Superlead project.

First thing...the only evidence I have that it's a 1970 is that it was written "1970 superlead" on the chassis in a permanent marker when I got it. The original back panel was long gone, as was most of the original parts of the amp.

But my visit to the amparchives website made me question if it's a 1970 or if it might instead be a 1969.

It has: Brown turret board, but not a grid board. And a voltage selector board that is separate, and mounted close to the fuse holders. And its transformer type is stand-up, not laydown.

I'm seeing these as being more likely to be 1969 features and less likely to be 1970 features. If you agree or disagree, or have information regarding this, I'd love to hear it.

The original turret board has literally ONE original component on it, a resistor. ALL the rest are replaced parts.

The original turret board is kind of hacked up. Some holes have been drilled out oversized, some holes appear to have been added, and the sliding element bias resistor was replaced by a small pot that was mounted through a hole drilled through the turret board.

Given its condition I'd be willing to just replace the original turret board with an original spec replacement. Do you know of a source for brown turret boards or at least correct board stock?

DaDoc and junk notes like this.
  2. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

your description is of a 69 - latest plexitype/earliest metal panel late summer/early Autumn.

If you post the paper label (dates/batch number Tazin can probably tell you for sure.

junk notes likes this.
  3. Matthews Guitars

Sorry, the paper label was long, long gone before I got this amp. As were most of the original parts. It was somebody's experimental platform and went through many
    experiments. It was so messed up when I got it that though it worked as an amp, it was carrying plate voltage on the metal bases of the 6550 tubes that were installed,
    which is a pretty fierce tube theft deterrent!

IMG_2692_sm.jpg IMG_2691_sm.jpg

DaDoc likes this.
  4. Matthews Guitars

Oh...it came with a front panel that's the usual gold anodized brushed finish, and the printing was in remarkably good shape. At first I thought it MIGHT have
    been original but it must have been a replacement at some point. That's what led me to think "1970" rather than "1969". As a 1969 it would have more likely
    actually had a plexi panel originally. Plus there was some residue of gold paint still on the back under that atrocious aluminum tread plate piece someone cut for the back,
    so I guess it actually was a true plexi once upon a time. Unfortunately nearly every part that made the tonal difference is gone. I'm pretty sure that even the power transformer is not original, and the output transformer was definitely wrong.

DSC_6732_sm.jpg

DaDoc likes this.
  5. Guitar-Rocker

Guitar-Rocker Well-Known Member

Sorry that someone went that banana's on the amp, but I'm sure you are the right owner to make it right

junk notes likes this.
  6. Matthews Guitars

I only paid 600 dollars for it. And it was a running amp when I got it, that didn't sound bad. I don't think I can make an actual profit on it, but I'm enjoying the process and learning a lot, so it's very much worth it to me.

DaDoc, junk notes, neikeel and 2 others like this.
  7. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

Yes, what @neikeel describes. Brown board yes, but fourth preamp hole chassis points to earlier.

8. Matthews Guitars

It has a cover plate on the other end, too. Maybe a filler for a capacitor that wasn't used in this version?

9. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

I'm totally out of my league when it comes to this kind of talk and knowledge..I'm jealous! :lol:

Too bad that cool old amp has had such a hack job done on it, but couldn't you find compatible-spec parts and resurrect it to it's former glory?

I mean, Marshall did re-issue a handwired Plexi some time back. Someone that's tech-savvy enough should be able to do the same with that old gal it seems to me.

10. Matthews Guitars

That's exactly what I'm pursuing.

11. TAZIN

TAZIN Active Member

I'm leaning towards 1969 since I don't see the additional mounting hole for the one-piece long version eyelet board. It could be hiding underneath the OT secondary wire bundle....

12. Widegraphics

Widegraphics New Member

Sorry for hijacking the thread. How about this... 1968?

Attached Files:

TAZIN likes this.
  13. neikeel

looks good to me for late 68, Canadian or Scandinavia version.
    Missing its bias slider pot and odd choice of screen resistors

TAZIN likes this.
  14. Widegraphics

Widegraphics New Member

Scandinavian yes. All original exept tubes. Sounds glorious.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  15. neikeel

Now with the last sentence you are hijacking his thread!

junk notes likes this.
  16. Widegraphics

Widegraphics New Member

I am sorry.

neikeel likes this.
  17. Matthews Guitars

So I'll put it back on track. I've stripped all the components off the board and have some parts coming for it. I'll reuse the original board but I think that an original turret or two may have been removed at some point. If anyone has a scrap board lying around that has these late 60s tubular turrets, I'd like to see if I can score it for spare turrets, and don't worry, I can probably find a way to remove them cleanly enough to reuse them.

Once the remaining components arrive, such as a sliding type bias resistor that would be period correct, I'll begin the reassembly of this board using what's almost a complete set of vintage and period correct NOS parts.

Oh...and wire. I've got a wire bundle coming from Valvestorm. Might as well use that, because very little original wire was still in the amp.

I could use some of the period correct sleeving for the on-board bus wire jumpers, if anybody has any.

18. william vogel

william vogel Well-Known Member

Look at a Keystone P/N 48 eyelet terminal and compare it to what you have on your board. If it’s the terminal, I have a bag of like 250 of them for doing later Marshall boards. I use Harwin split turrets for the early stuff.
    If the Keystone 48 looks good to you I can mail you some. Let me know.
    Paul

19. Matthews Guitars

The Keystone 48 eyelet appears to be a little bit bigger and would require drilling out the holes to fit. The original Marshall eyelets are smaller, and their sides are ribbed to make the grip of the soldered on wrapped wire stronger.

It'd be a good eyelet for new made boards but it's not a perfect matching replacement for the original. I'll probably buy some of those in any event.

20. Rotorcraft230

Rotorcraft230 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Hi Matt, I have a couple of sheets say 20”X40” of phenolic, the old man had passed and his family was tossing out a tot of stuff and that was in the pile. I think it’s 1/8” and looks and smells old but in good shape. Don’t know if it’s what your looking for but I’ll give you some. It’s brown and you can see the weave in it. I’m at work but if you are interested I can take a pic and let you see for yourself.
    Mark