Broken wah wah pedal

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by Blaoskaak, Oct 20, 2020.

1. zachman

zachman Well-Known Member

I am so glad that it helped. You're MOST welcome.

Thanks for sharing the results.
    :cheers:

El Gringo likes this.
  2. zachman

No, they call it a fuzz pedal for a reason. It makes the clean guitar signal sound fuzzy, not glassy. ;)

The glassy thing is fundamentally the amp's character.

There are some parts here when the guitar volume is rolled back that some glassy tones are what I perceive you're referring to? All gain is the amp-- not an external pedal.

Around 1:00 Univibe tones

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  3. Blaoskaak

Blaoskaak Active Member

Oké that makes sense. I am reffering more to video 2. The sound i mean is like pedal pawn fuzz pedal. That is the type of glassy i mean. I thought every fuzz pedal could do that.

I bought from eBay a drop in wahwah with all the mods, but i have a problem with it. When i turn on the wah pedal with fuzz off then it Works amazing.

When i turn on fuzz, the wah doesn't work anymore and t he sound is very thin and bright. It even hurts my ears.

Do you know how i can fix this?

Edit: i bought this one:
    https://m.ebay.nl/itm/GCB95-mod-kit-FULL-GUTS-trubypass-all-th-cool-mods-EZ-install-dunlop-crybaby-wah/124201198517?_mwBanner=1&ul_ref=https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11051.m43.l1123/7?euid=eb98eb4b3dc74e4b9c673af6fe276cf2&bu=45356893259&segname=11051&crd=20201120090111&osub=-1~1&ch=osgood&loc=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.nl%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F124201198517&sojTags=bu=bu,ch=ch,segname=segname,crd=crd,url=loc,osub=osub&srcrot=e11051.m43.l1123&rvr_id=0&rvr_ts=e72ef9bb1750a9c553c30f90ff44bbbf&ul_noapp=true&pageci=90c59d26-4695-4ab9-bb5f-3763f8fe9035

I adjusted the bias, but it didn't helped.
    When i lift the wah from te ground, i got less hum too. It looks like the wah and fuz reacts to each other.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  4. zachman

In video 2, I was not using a fuzz pedal. That was all the amp. If YOUR amp cleans up when you roll back the volume on your guitar to where you like it, like mine does, then a fuzz would have the potential to clean up to what your preference would be, but if your amp doesn't-- then no... a fuzz pedal isn't going to do that for you.

I already gave you my take on why you are having issues, as well as my suggested remedies, and True bypass IMO-- isn't the solution, despite your insistence that it is.

If you don't implement them, and continue to have 'issues'-- I don't know what more to tell you that would be relevant or useful for anything, other than wasting time. Note that our friend El Gringo, who did implement my solution, reported back success. Perhaps you should too? That's my suggestion

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    Blaoskaak likes this.
  5. Blaoskaak

Blaoskaak Active Member

I did implement it. I got new switch and everything. I got the chain in your order. I even bought a buffer for it. I don't know what else to do, to be honest. It is not that it sound terrible now. The tone cleans up nicely as it should be. But it is the lower strings that sound tight and thin.

I like the sound of true bypass. Maybe it wasn't necessary, but my ears like it. I don't think the true bypass is the reason why the sound still is thin. I could be wrong.

Edit: i also bought a fuzz face ffm2 (germanium) i forgot to tell. Then the chain is different right?

Now my chain is now: guitar, fuzz, wah, tuner, amp

Is that you playing in the video's?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  6. zachman

When you say it sounds thin, are you talking about with and without the wah being active?

EDIT: What does it sound like when you take the wah out of the signal path?

Edit: I forgot I posted the 1st clip w/ the quilted burst Strat. The 1st video was me. The 2nd was my friend using my amp. The 3rd video is me again.

What amp, cab and speakers and how are you setting it?

Blaoskaak likes this.
  7. Blaoskaak

Blaoskaak Active Member

Awesome playing!

I have a marshall sv20 with a 2x12cab. 1x celestion v30 1x celestion creamback.

The sound when wah is off is very thick. When i turn on the wah it becomes thin. Like i am playing in a tin can.

8. zachman

Thank you

Any Clips of the phenomenon? That's what they do, typically, but if the wah doesn't work at all when the fuzz is on-- I'd bet that something is wrong with your wah.

Have you tried a knowingly functioning wah without any self-made mods/repairs, potentially done wrong or poorly done w/ cold solder joints, new switch wired in reverse etc., besides your own modified TB wah?

When you roll back the guitar volume, when the wah is not in use, w/ the fuzz on-- does it sound the way you want and clean up in an acceptable way, when you roll back your guitar volume? If yes, get a properly functioning wah. If no, then it's possible that your chosen gear selection isn't optimal for your expected/targeted results.

I recommend a Dunlop MC-404. It's what I was using the clip, and like it. There are MANY to choose from

Blaoskaak likes this.
  9. Blaoskaak

Blaoskaak Active Member

I will upload something tommorow. I never used a normal unmodded wah.

When the wah is off and the fuzz on and i roll back the volume knob the sound is perfect. Then i get warm tones. When the wah is on it sounds like shit.

The tone loses his warmth. I want the same thick sound from my fuzz and then with a wah

10. zachman

I am wondering if your expectation of what a wah does is, and/or is supposed do-- is on target, because it will not sound like your rig w/ the wah off-- (when using the wah) NO MATTER what wah you choose to use-- TB or NOT, and pedal order not making a difference either/irrelevant because a wah is a filter, so when on by default-- you don't have your core amp tone available ANYMORE, until you again-- turn off the wah.

11. Blaoskaak

Blaoskaak Active Member

Yes i am aware that it changes somehow. But when i hear SRV or hendrix, that is way better and fuller sounding. They play through a wah too right?

When i turn on the wah the bass get super tight too.

It is now too late to record something. Will do it tommorow.

12. zachman

Perspective...... Neither of their guitar tones sounded like their amps without the wah, when they were using their wah pedals.

They also recorded in commercial recording studios-- to tape (thru Millions of $$$ in studio gear) using their --by today's standard, HOLY GRAIL gear (Marshall Amps, Stacks of 4x12's, Fender Twins, Dumble Steel String Singer- re: SRV, etc., and Guitars), as opposed to a baby Marshall (Not meant as a disparaging comment) and a 2x12, and in live Venues without ANY volume restrictions

If I had to bet on what was wrong-- I'd say your wah has an issue and is the culprit

Blaoskaak likes this.
  13. yladrd61

yladrd61 Well-Known Member

Jimi and SRV also both ran their non master volume amps at volumes where they just started to break up and usually had their guitar volumes rolled back most of the time. They also used stock pickups which were in the 5 to 6k. Range also the early SRV tone was Fender Blackface Super Reverbs and Vibroverbs, and Early Jimi was mostly the JTM 45/100 which sounds like a bigger louder Fender Tweed. There are many things which interact with a fuzz face which was also a effect that varied a lot from one to another, all of mine sound a little different and they also react differently with various wah pedals.

Blaoskaak and zachman like this.
  14. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

Yes, they had wah's in their signal chains.

But they only turned them on when they wanted the wah-wah effect. Most of the time the wah's were turned off.

The wahs they used were not true bypass, nor buffered. So when they were turned off the wahs sucked some treble out of the tone.

They were both fond of high capacitance coily cords, which also suck some highs out of the tone.

"Glassiness" is the opposite of "fuller". Neither of those guys wanted "straight into the amp cleans" -- they fattened their clean tones by introducing controlled amounts of tone suckage.

Blaoskaak and zachman like this.
  15. Blaoskaak

Blaoskaak Active Member

Thanks for the clarification guys! I thought the pedal was always on. When i play the pedal is always on, because most of the time i play Freestyle and want to engage it when i want. So the pedal has to be good.

I decided to sell my wah pedal and buy a dunlop mc404. But first i have to sell my old one. I also bought demon ts9 tube screamer to see how it reacts to a wah pedal.

I'll let you guys know how the mc404 turns out.

Thank you all for your input!

Wyej

zachman likes this.
  16. zachman

I apologize for taking it for granted that it was well-known, that wah pedals are not typically an 'Always on' device, and not realizing that you were describing an always 'on' use for yourself.

fwiw-- A TS 9 will not sound like a Germanium fuzz

Blaoskaak likes this.
  17. Blaoskaak

Blaoskaak Active Member

Ah, i didn't now. I am new to guitar playing. So i have a lot to learn and a very long way to go to be on your level. If i ever get there. You also have a beautiful strat btw.

18. zachman

No worries... That's what we're here for, to encourage and help when/where we can.

Just keep playing, learning and having fun with it. The rest will come.

Thanks, The Quilted Cherry Sunburst Valley Arts Custom Pro Strat-- or the Black Squier in the Navarro pickup shootout video. I forget... I have over a 100 guitars

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020 at 4:29 PM
    Blaoskaak likes this.
  19. Blaoskaak

Blaoskaak Active Member

Wow, that is amazing! I can imagine it is hard to choose which guitar you should play.

zachman likes this.
  20. zachman

The way I look at it is-- They're tools in a musical toolbox. Same for FX. I rotate the guitars, to keep the fret wear to a minimum-- and will typically use the one that's got good strings on it.

For gigs or tracking... they're chosen specifically, to interact with the selected amp, fx, etc... to achieve a tone target

Have it 'Anyway you want it'... ;) It's all good

Same amp-- different tones w/ Different guitars

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020 at 11:04 PM
    Blaoskaak likes this.