BRIGHT LES PAUL

mrjones2004x

Reaction score
That looks like mine, except for the cool Marshall sign on the wall...

That looks like mine, except for the cool Marshall sign on the wall...
Great guitar 🎸
I made that sign and another on my window ledge.
Well a guy at work setup the laser cutting program but has now retired so I can’t get anymore cut unfortunately.
Had another two I gave to two friends.

RCM 800

Reaction score
hmm I have a LP that is in storage because I havent found a solution to make it brighter. Might have to see where the bridge and tailpiece are set to see if I have room to adjust it. Maybe slamming will brighten it up? Already has 500k pots and duncans that are supposed to be bright.

Marcomel79

Reaction score
hmm I have a LP that is in storage because I havent found a solution to make it brighter. Might have to see where the bridge and tailpiece are set to see if I have room to adjust it. Maybe slamming will brighten it up? Already has 500k pots and duncans that are supposed to be bright.
Give it a try! Hope you can sort it

yladrd61

Reaction score

mark123

Reaction score
Mines a 2021 Les Paul tribute. Setup now like this. Feels great.

That’s how mine is set up. Tailpiece screws tight and top-wrapped as God intended.

Oh, and Lollar pickups because Gibson ain’t a pickup company.

Reaction score
So i have a Classic Les Paul that was a bit too bright for my taste. I tried different pickups and different tone caps but it still kept that very bright tone. Rolling off the treble in my amp made the bass strings too muddy. Then it just occurred to me to try and raise the tailpiece as it was all the way down, touching the body. Voilà, all of a sudden the extreme brightness was gone and i have a more balanced sound now. It seems like such an obvious fix but i hope this may help someone that has the same problem. I also pulled the orange drop cap and installed a green mustard cap and the tone really improved. Smoother and more vintage sounding, which i like.
Ed Van Hallen used to boil guitar strings to make them dull/less bright on his Les Paul and several guitars…maybe your strings need breaking in, my LP is too bright but i love it, more options

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ed Van Hallen used to boil guitar strings to make them dull/less bright
Boil?
Like pasta?
Is there some science here?
I'm fairly sure 212F / 100C isn't going to change the metallurgical properties of steel alloys.
Is it an oxidation thing?
Does a little olive oil keep them from sticking together?

Reaction score
Boil?
Like pasta?
I'm fairly sure 212F / 100C isn't going to change the metallurgical properties of steel alloys.
Yeas i found this link but i heard it from people and was told it was actually true, eddie tried all kinds of stuff…but ask Alex, he knows and as far as i can remember its true And had certain benefits to issues like new strings that sounded brighter and stretched allot .

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeas i found this link but i heard it from people and was told it was actually true, eddie tried all kinds of stuff…but ask Alex, he knows and as far as i can remember its true And had certain benefits to issues like new strings that sounded brighter and stretched allot .
I've heard Eddie was well known for gear BS.
The boiling story may be true, but I think this example of "science" is BS:

(from link)
Benefits:
1) It essentially evenly stretches the strings out to a set tolerance based on the expansion of the metal due to heat rather than just pressure, ensuring that they will more consistently stay in tune.
2) It also hardens the strings to ensure less breakage from bending and whammy bar antics.
3) It also evens out the tone on particularly bright new strings, allowing you to better trim you EQ accurate.
4) It also removes dirty and can help normalize minor burs and impurities in the strings if you rip open you finger.

Downside:
1) If you’re Eddie Van Halen you have an Ernie Ball or Dunlop string endorsement and you get all your gear basically free. So you don’t have to worry about how long the strings will last. With that said, boiling your strings will reduced the tonal quality of your strings by about 1/4 of their lifespan.

Marcomel79

Reaction score
Boil?
Like pasta?
Im gonna try frying them with some garlic and chili flakes to see if i can dish out some tasty riffs

Reaction score
I've heard Eddie was well known for gear BS.

Downside:
1) If you’re Eddie Van Halen you have an Ernie Ball or Dunlop string endorsement and you get all your gear basically free. So you don’t have to worry about how long the strings will last. With that said, boiling your strings will reduced the tonal quality of your strings by about 1/4 of their lifespan.
Eddie def played with everyone's head, especially during his secret hammer on thing, it was his one and only trick he feared someone would figure out and damn was he upset at Randy Rhoads cause Edie looked at his hammer thingy as a brand.

Buts seriously, have you met or at least heard of Chris Cannella? the brotha worked with Eddie in the past and knows everything, I mean everything, for example companies would tell Eddie all their secrets to convict him to endorse their products, the coils, areas of Asia where the real v30s where made, parts for Floyd roses, strings etc, Eddie had details about everyone and their products.. I had pushed as hard as possible for this dude Jason to interview Chris here , Check out the link

1654545159926.png

Last edited:

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
I heard about the boiling of strings thing back in the 80's. If I recall correctly, Ed's theory was that it would put the strings through a maximun expansion and contraction cycle essentially making brand new strings more played in for the Floyd, so he wouldn't have to keep locking and unlocking the locking nut, and also readjusting the fine tuners, as the strings settled in. He used to change strings every day while on tour it was said.

Don't take any of that as gospel, though.

Latest posts