Breaking In Speakers

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by pedecamp, Feb 25, 2020.

1. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

^^Actually, my speaker repairman told me this bit of info...years and years ago, before it was even a thing.

2. guitar1580

guitar1580 Member

Del Rei, sure, I wouldn't mind seeing those videos.

I agree, I've never done anything special to break them in, until now. My 2 different 4 x 12 cabs were bought used, so it wasn't an issue. My DSL401 I got new, but hadn't really heard much about breaking it in, so I just played it.

When I got my new 8" Bobcat for my vintage Fender Vibro Champ from my luthier, he is the one who first told me about breaking it in. Then when I got these new Celestions from Avatar, he broke them in for a few hours before he shipped them. Then reading up here on the forum I started hearing more and more about it. I'm going to get some hours on them with a CD player, but all in all, I'm not going to go overboard.

The one I'm wondering about is the Chinese V30. I'm gonna put it in my DSL401, and if I don't like it, I may get a Creamback or another G12-35XC, which seems to sound good so far.

My luthier has a used older G12-S50 that he's had for a while and is broken in. He said it should sound good with my 1 watt DSL1. He's gonna sell it to me cheap if the world ever opens back up, so I'm going to play around with that one too.

JT

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    Del Rei likes this.
  3. guitar1580

guitar1580 Member

oops

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  4. Del Rei

Del Rei Well-Known Member

Hey, man.
    The V30 was the first speaker I bought. I like it, but for my 1x12 I don't think it's the best option (for me). I would say they sounds perfect in big cabs (4x12) because that's then the low end of the cab matches the mid/high frequencies of V30 - and it gets well balanced.

Today, for my 1x12 I'm using the Creamback65.
    These are the videos I was talking about:

SkyMonkey and JBA like this.
  5. JBA

JBA Well-Known Member

60hz with a variac brought up in stages at least gets the surround and spider loosened up. Push it too hard too fast and you beat the shit out of the cone itself... but some people like this type of break in.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    Del Rei likes this.
  6. JBA

JBA Well-Known Member

Also on another serious note: Del Rei, your comparisons are the shit!

Always enjoy your work.

Thanks Brother!

Del Rei likes this.
  7. guitar1580

guitar1580 Member

I agree, great job, Del Rei. Thanks for posting those.

I can't really hear a lot of difference in the greenbacks. I'm sure you can hear more difference when you're there in the room with them, but those V-30s, yes, big difference. The 2014 one seems to sound more harsh to me, and a different type of midrange quality. I know you said that they're both broken in, but that seems like what I would expect from one that is new compared to one that is broken in. You wouldn't expect there to be so much difference in the same model. I'm not sure what would cause it. Slightly different cone materials maybe, from different suppliers, possibly, since they're a couple of years apart.

It makes me wonder how consistent they would be if you tested a handful that were made at the same time. As someone mentioned above, you can get the same model of guitar and have several made the same day and have them sound drastically different, but that is largely due to the wood that the body is made of. I know this for a fact. I have a 1971 Fender Telecaster that when played unplugged resonates and rings out so loudly that people sometimes think it is a semi-hollow body. Plugged in it sounds like the twangiest of twangy Teles also, but a lot of times, unplugged is how you can tell how an electric guitar is going to resonate and sustain. I even had a different neck on it for a while and still the same. It is in the body wood. It practically wants to vibrate out of your lap. It was at my luthier's for a while getting something done, and he and some others noticed it too. However, I'm not sure why there would be so much variance in new speakers of the same model.

All in all, very interesting. Thanks again for the recording comparisons.

JT

Del Rei likes this.
  8. GT08

GT08 Well-Known Member

OR...….how about just playing your guitar!

Del Rei likes this.
  9. JBA

JBA Well-Known Member

I find these take a long time to break in or they have changed something at the factory. I have two old ones (neo) that have seen some abuse in an open back orange cab: these are very tame on the top end. I pulled one and tried it in a combo and it fit the bill so I decided to buy a new one to keep in the combo. The new one had too much high end. I even compared them again after beating on it for a couple months... then finally gave up and sold it. Interestingly a very different result then you’ve shown here.

Oddly enough I accidentally come across a 16ohm creamback 75 that sounds almost identical to to a new’ish 8ohm Vintage 30. The 75 had a very slight bump up around the 6-7 kHz region and that is it. That creamback was bought used so I don’t really know it’s history but it just goes to show you how how different speakers can really be. Would not have believed this if I didn’t test it myself.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    Del Rei and guitar1580 like this.
  10. JBA

JBA Well-Known Member

Valid point for some folks... But if you have a bunch of speakers/cabs.. it’s nice to be able to get there before you die. :shred:.......:sick:

guitar1580 and SkyMonkey like this.
  11. Del Rei

Del Rei Well-Known Member

Thanks, man! \o/

Intersting... I don't know how or why, but some speakers sounds way different when should sound the same:
    Take a look at this comparison between 2 Marshall 2x12 with same speakers... Only difference should be telex color... But listen to the comparison:

Thanks, man! :)
    In the room the difference is bigger in the Greenbacks, sure. Also, Youtube compress the sound.
    But I guess if you watch in a loud speakers or headphone, maybe you will notice some changes. In fact not a HUGE difference, but there is. I don't know if I could identity in a live situation... Probably not...

JBA likes this.
  12. MemphisMarshallMan

MemphisMarshallMan Active Member

I know it is flame-worthy to admit it, but I have used that EarCandy speaker break-in cd on all of my speaker cabs and it did make a difference and improved the tone.

I just set my cd player on repeat and let it run all night.

guitar1580 likes this.
  13. guitar1580

guitar1580 Member

I just read up on that Ear Candy CD. It's on a similar principle as the pink noise CD that I have, but maybe goes a little further. It makes sense to me to use something like this to "work" the speaker, and thus breaking it in faster than just playing a guitar through it. There will always be naysayers, no matter what the topic is.