Brazilian Classical Guitar

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by renips, Sep 19, 2020.

1. renips

renips Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I am in the process of improving the playability of this Sanchez guitar
    History- i bought this guitar in 1975. I went my local music store(AceMusic) in NMB Fl. Long since gone. I rode my bike over with$50 in hand and walked out with this. At the time I was very green when it came to knowing what I had. First thing I did was to take off the strings and put in electric guitar strings. Screwed in strap buttons and learned Kiss and Ted Nugent songs lol. I eventually changed things back but the actual relicing has taken place over the last 45 years of my abuse. I am wondering if anyone could help me figure out what year this guitar is? It was used when I bought it and my research has dated it anywhere from late 60’s - no later than when I got it which would be 1975 but it is older than that. There is no serial number I can see. The model is A- 200.
    So curious about the wood. i am thinking the fingerboard and back appear to be rosewood. Being that it was made in Brazil I would think Brazilian rosewood. The top looks to be sitka but not sure. It is a gorgeous instrument. I lowered the awful high action and it plays great. Still looking to maybe get a new saddle piece and improve it more. Here some pics. I just put on La Bella flat wounds. Any idea on Year and wood species?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  2. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

As a brazilian I got curious about your post. I've never seen this guitar being sold in Brazil, but in 1975 I was not born... so I must missed it.

Another curious factor is Sanchez is spanish, in portuguese is Sanches with an S. This must be an export only guitar, very beautiful!!!

The most common brands in Brazil are Del Vecchio, Giannini and Di Giorgio. They range from beginner stuff to top notch material.

And yeah... the fretboard looks like rosewood, probably from bahia... they had this very dark rosewood we use to call jacarandá da bahia, which is SUPERB.

El Gringo and ricksdisconnected like this.
  3. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

4. renips

renips Well-Known Member

Thanks!! I contacted the current company in Valencia Spain with some pictures. Hopefully they can provide some info. It does not appear that they have any retail stores in US. The current range of guitars on their site are gorgeous.

5. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain Well-Known Member

Try making a post on www.classicalguitardelcamp.com

There are lot of knowledgeable individuals that could probably give you more information on your guitar but be prepared, if it isnt a $5,000 luthier made guitar they consider it "cheap" or "worthless".

I dig it, beautiful classical.

6. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Fretboard looks like Brazilian rosewood

Back looks like sapele maybe

20200920_175323.jpg

El Gringo likes this.
  7. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

You are very knowledgeable and I appreciate you sharing this knowledge as we can never ever learn enough .