Brand New Dsl40c - Speakers:

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Robert Herndon Project, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Robert Herndon Project

Robert Herndon Project Well-Known Member

Why would WGS recommend a 90 watt speaker for a 40 watt DSL40C????

2. SteelLucky

SteelLucky Active Member

I went with the V-Type in the DSL40C over the creamback and I really love it. The Seventy-80 just sucks in the DSL40C.

3. tman

tman Well-Known Member

I like the Creambacks,but the Eminence CV-75 is really a nice sounding speaker also.

4. Robert Herndon Project

Here is the answer from WGS:

"Robert,

Believe it or not there is a method to my madness! The reason for the 90w speaker is that you’d mentioned that you want a speaker that doesn’t break up at certain resonances or at high volumes. The ET90 has tons of clean headroom on tap, and it fits the other tonal criteria as well. It’s a smooth, creamy speaker, with plenty of presence.

There is a misconception among guitarists that a speaker with a higher power rating will sound “underpowered” in an amp with lower output power, and this is just not the case. Theoretically, you could run a 25w amp through a 100w speaker and still get great tone. When you’re looking to get more clean headroom out of a setup, higher wattage speakers can be very beneficial.

The DSL40C comes with a 16ohm speaker stock, so what I would use is a 16ohm ET90......"

5. Sound Of A Gun

Sound Of A Gun New Member

I cannot get on with the 70/80. I am pretty sure it is broken in now, but I have mainly been playing the amp through an Orange PPC112 with a V30 in it. The 1x12 sounds fuller and more focused. Has anyone here ran the DSL40C through a 4x12 with The standard G12 75 watts in it? I would be interested to hear about that.

6. newplayeroldguy

newplayeroldguy Active Member

I put a Reaper HP in mine, and I think it's a great speaker for this amp. I'm sure there are other very good choices as others have mentioned. The 70/80 wasn't for me.

7. Robert Herndon Project

Definitely don't like the 70/80...too harsh....not smooth IMHO...

8. Robert Herndon Project

I haven't yet...I want to run a very portable Marshall 2x12 cabinet...

9. royslead

royslead Well-Known Member

I wish they made the DSL40 in a head configuration. Then you could experiment with whatever cab and speaker arrangement you wanted. I was going to answer you about the speaker rating as it relates to power and headroom, but saw WGS did so already. That theory is something I had read a while back; and one of my small combos, a 5/25 Watt had a Vintage 30, rated for 60 Watts in it.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    newplayeroldguy likes this.
  10. Robert Herndon Project

Good point!

In my case, I think the 65 watt is plenty for the 40 watt DSL40C.

11. Robert Herndon Project

Getting ready to do my speaker swap....I want something with a little less high frequency response I think...make the lead tone a little warmer. So many choices!!!!

12. 50 watt CJ

50 watt CJ Member

13. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Translate.LOL

14. 50 watt CJ

50 watt CJ Member

I just sold my DSL 40c, but the top choice for me out of my spare speakers was a 60 watt celestion century vintage. Really smoothed out the thin, shrill highs and added a nicer crunch. I never see many people bring up these speakers, everyone must still not want to give the neo magnets a try. I use 2 of those in a 2x12 and absolutely love them. I find it's tone very similar to my 1960ax 4x12, full of 25 watt greenbacks. I see they now put out a 65 watt neo magnet creamback, I need to hear that. Can't beat a 3-4 lb speaker in a super heavy combo. 2nd runner up was a g12H 30 watt anniversary in this amp for me. Creamback 65s are killer though, it's a great stand alone speaker for sure.

15. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

I had the 12H30's a run in a 412. Good at first and then I got ear tired of them.

I'll take GB's over these. For what I play.

I would use the the Creamback 75's or the 12H65's. My 70/80's kick ass in the DSL40C. Broken in there's a new concept for some impulsive players. Wait till you try others.

Having had the 70/80's I would upgrade to 75's or 12H65's. Having said that I'd put my 70/80's against other offerings. Mostly cause players are full of sheet!LOL

saxon68 likes this.
  16. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

I really liked the Vox Neodog I used in a 1x12 4210, I was surprised it sounded so good.
    I'd love to try the Neo Creambacks, but I don't pay new prices and I haven't seen any used pop up on the EBAY.

50 watt CJ likes this.
  17. 50 watt CJ

50 watt CJ Member

yes, new prices suck! Go to Avatarspeakers if you haven't. Great prices, never seen him carry the neo mag celestions so far though.