Bout Time Marshall Brought Out Something Exciting?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by OdgeUK, Sep 27, 2016.

1. OdgeUK

OdgeUK Member

I do think this is true. It only takes a generation to not use Tube Amps for it to become a lost technology. I have seen younger musicians happily gigging with Line 6 amps, purely due to the convenience and cost. And to be fair, in a band mix, it doesn't matter that much. Then we have the Kemper and Axe-FX gaining popularity and suddenly Tube Amps start to look redundant. As Marshall fans, we all know what it is to stand in front of a JMP Full stack and feel that amp, but as time goes on, that simply isn't going to be something that anyone experiences, or cares about, other than the die-hard traditionalists and Amp geeks. I think possibly Marshall are anticipating this in their Roadmap, as any 'sensible' business would. Perhaps Friedman and Metroamp and Splawn et al will fill the void for the ever decreasing Ampphiles while young kids laugh at the hassle we're putting up with to get that sound!

Someone mentioned the Astoria range. I had totally forgotten about that, which probably says a lot about Marshall's marketing. They sound KILLER and are genuinely exciting amps. I nearly sh*t the bed though when I saw the price tag though. I expect Marshall price points to be cheaper than boutique, due to the scale and location of their manufacturing.

I think maybe the JVM410H will be the last 100w Marshall head that isn't a reissue........unless trends go full circle in the future....

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    Rokinroller, TKB and The Ozzk like this.
  2. OdgeUK

OdgeUK Member

How close is the Line 6 DT25?

3. OdgeUK

OdgeUK Member

I would say that they wrapped up that 'Hot Rodded 80s Marshall Tone'. Marshall tried to put that sound in the JVM but when you hear side by side comparisons, the Friedman just kicks ass and leaves the JVM sounding thin and less 'full' and muddier. A good guitarist friend of mine has played every amp going and is rarely more impressed than "that's a great sounding amp". He played the BE100 a couple of months ago and said "Hands down, the best amp I've ever played".

4. Kossfinger

Kossfinger New Member

Trouble with everything within this quest for tone is...it's all dependent on high volume levels.
    Speakers, tubes, transformers ...all need to be pushed.. The pre amp thing ends up being a fuzz box, unless the output is rocking. Small powered amps don't have the same impact. Attenuators are dangerous..(even expensive ones). I'm wondering if this modern boutique brown sound chase, is a recipe that works well fooling a mic, approximating that big tone...I liked the clips I've heard w the mod5...never heard in person..from what I've read ... The clips were recorded at bedroom levels...we all know evh had the cranked up approach...

wakjob likes this.
  5. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

Line 6.... hahaha

6. Garrett

Garrett Well-Known Member

I absolutely agree. But the Astoria line aint cheap either.

But to the OP's question, why didn't Marshall go down this path? Why have they done so little for the not only the high end market but the general market as well. The DSL40 sales are not going to keep them afloat forever.

Fender deserves credit for the understanding what the general market wants, offers new product designs and at a general market price.

Kossfinger likes this.
  7. ricksteruk

ricksteruk Well-Known Member

I'm with you! A proper analog amp but with digital controls.

I think the H&K Grandmeister 40 is about as close as you can get - but it just isn't a Marshall now is it.

8. OdgeUK

OdgeUK Member

Well, you know, the Helix is being pretty well received? Line 6 have some shitty products but Digital is coming into it's own these days. And the DT25 was part designed by Reinhold Bognor. Could be the closest thing to a proper power amp with a digital preamp.

Rokinroller likes this.
  9. Kossfinger

Kossfinger New Member

How do all of you feel about the smaller sized transformers, showing up in these modern amps? Do you think they are having an impact on the big bottom , that's missing? Mercury sure is selling a lot of upgrades for new amps.. What about chokes vs no chokes??

10. TKB

TKB Member

I have been playing for 45 years as a rock musician (bass and guitar) and these are my thoughts. Disclaimer: I am no expert because what is good depends on the listener but in this forum I get what drives the inspiration - a great rock "tone". I also worked over 20 years as an Electronic Technician and have opened up many amps...including one that was a big seller because of its "tube preamp". I found out that the real distortion circuit were 2 diodes (solid state) that were driven to clipping but the forums raved about the "tube distortion". The manufacturer achieved its goal in spades. Even Engineers in studios are fooled by the solid state distortions. Let's get real...if you drive your tube Marshall with a DS-1 pedal aren't you doing the same thing? Here is a real shocker...I went to a national act playing with Blue Oyster Cult about 7 years ago and I noticed the wall of Marshalls were in standby (I was next to the stage) but they had a killer sound (and were wireless). I went back to the sound board and saw a separate computer running an amp emulation program with the wireless receivers nearby. Just to be fair, Blue Oyster Cult was not the headliner but actually used the Marshalls (they were plugged into them and not on standby). I am not here to promote or slam brands or bands so I will not name any names of the guilty. My point is that the sound we are all after is basically the same with slight variations and that has been produced so shouldn't we work with the sound we have instead of get pissed because Marshall hasn't come out with it yet? Eddie used a Marshall, he just played it his way. There is a story about Ted Nugent trying Eddies setup but he didn't sound like Eddie, he sounded like Ted Nugent. I will lose many of you when I tell you this but I bought a Marshall CODE 50 a few weeks ago and will never look back. It gives me that Marshall crunch with on-board effects. I am glad I have been fortunate enough to see this evolution in amps. My favorite rock setting is the DSL preamp with the 100 watt Marshall power amp. Totally Hair Band territory. Half of you guys have to try one because it's just what you have been discussing. I have a Mesa Boogie, a POD X3 Pro and X3 Live sitting in the corner that will eventually make it to E-bay so trust me, I been there, done that and bought a shirt. I'm sorry if I come across as a know it all - it's just my 2 cents worth but the guys at Marshall are moving into the future and the hard rock masses are getting older. What would you rather lug around, a 100 watt 300 lb full stack or a 50 watt 25 lb combo amp that will cover all the Marshall amp bases with effects included? If I had roadies to lug around my gear I would probably still run a full stack but that ship has sailed. Great subject and I hope I didn't piss off all you guys. One mans trash is another mans treasure...

Rokinroller likes this.
  11. HotRats73

HotRats73 Active Member

marshall should make someting like the splawn quickrod but based on the jvm/jvm js ch1 and 2 kind of sounds

a 2ch amp, with separate eq, a couple of footswitchable gain structures for the dirty channel, footswitchable loop and solo level boost, presence and depth controls.

a footswitch with 5 buttons, ch selection, gain mode, loop on/off, solo boost, mute.

big irons, no shortcuts.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    TKB likes this.
  12. Harlequin tusk

Harlequin tusk Well-Known Member

I don't need anything new, what I need is more time to play the 10 Marshalls I already have and like, too little time and too much technology for me.

Ivanock likes this.
  13. duncan11

duncan11 Well-Known Member

after getting the YJM and AFD amps, I haven't had much desire for any more marshalls. For my tonal needs those covered the spectrum nicely. Now earlier this year I did get to try the Jub reissue and even a CODE 25 which I got for my friend who needed an amp. I was impressed with both, more so with the CODE actually, as for what it is, it sounded surprisingly good. I'm still old school, give me my tube amps and an attenudator and I"m happy. I do think it would be cool to see if they did try to counter the Friedman stuff, as I have a BE100 and yes it's a KILLER amp. But I'll never let go of my YJM and AFD...

14. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

I suggested that also. Santiago said that it wasn't done because part of the amp has to be solid state. The digital controls cannot handle the massive voltage that a tube amp would put on them. Basically you would have to place diodes, etc to tame it in order to for the controls to handle it. Hughes and Kettner has done an AWESOME job of this but I suppose Marshall wants to stay "all tube"

THAT is a great amp.

The GM is my current rig, it's the closest I have ever gotten to Marshall tones without it being a Marshall. I am super pleased with this amp and I think they have hit the "ultimate" amp, no one seems to be into them though. People look right past the Grandmeister for whatever reason, but then say they want "plexi" tones.. Guess what?? They're in there.. Along with silver face, blackface, Mesa, JCM800, etc, etc.. It's all there WITH attenuation, direct recording, effects, and the smart rotary knobs with midi control over 128 pre sets..

ricksteruk and Rokinroller like this.
  15. charveldan

charveldan Well-Known Member

Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.
    [​IMG]

Next from Marshall @ NAMM 2017

Kris Ford and krudler like this.
  16. PU239

PU239 Well-Known Member

You left out quite a few other amps released over that period of time.
    1962 Bluesbreaker
    1958 RI
    1974 RI
    1973 RI
    2245THW
    Astoria Classic
    Astoria Custom
    Astoria Dual

Marshall still has the largest current amp offerings of any manufacturer, I am suprised so many here don't even know that. They have so many genres of tone covered already.

The Jubes RI was done based on requests for it to be reissued, personally I pushed for a early JMP RI but the feedback from distribution was not good.

As another member pointed out, with Jims passing and his kids now having a very limited roll with the company things have changed. The three design engineers leaving has left a lot of folks wondering what is next for Marshall.

There are "many" prototype amps that have been considered.

The market is not what it was 6-8 years ago when we were seeing many new amps come and go.

I think you will once again see two new products from Marshall come January.

One of those is not being released to "keep pace" with Friedman, its meant to kick its ass out of the market and leave no doubt about Marshall.

17. GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder Well-Known Member

Stone Deaf Amps is a step in the right direction:

http://www.stonedeaffx.com/guitar-amplifiers

18. GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder Well-Known Member

You must keep in mind what inflation has done: in 1972 a 50W Marshall head cost around $400. That is the equivalent of $2,300 in 2016 dollars! Those Astorias are actually very reasonably priced for what you get.

The Ozzk and PU239 like this.
  19. wakjob

wakjob Well-Known Member

Iron in mass produced amps seemed to be hit or miss for a good long while now.
    Could explain the "good ones" from the "meh ones". Plus, dozens of other factors.

The trend lately is to buy an amp, then dump more money into NOS tubes & aftermarket transformers. Maybe a small mod made popular by an internet forum ect...

Lets not start talking about speaker swapping... yikes.

But yeah, I think the people in charge at Marshall, and every other big amp manufacturer, just know that they can't always be a head of the curve or even keep up with whatever the current trend is, but they try. I'll give em' that much.

20. Ghostman

Ghostman Well-Known Member

They are too busy working on the next lineup of Marshall Products:

Coffee Mugs - with heat changing glazing
    Shoes - men's and womens
    Printers - prints in Marshall ink. Same as HP ink just costs 3 times as much
    Desk Lamps - but they look cool
    Toasters - after the high demand of the Fridge, they have a small, single slice Toaster in the mix.
    ...and a 100 other products in R&D that have nothing to do with Amplifiers.

:wave:

As far as new products, I'm scared to see what's next considering their releases for the last few years. Absolutely zero have been received by the Marshall Masses. The Astoria has it's Niche' lovers, and the CODE was DOA.

OdgeUK likes this.