BOSS waza, Electric Mistress.

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by giblesp, Oct 29, 2020.

1. giblesp

giblesp Well-Known Member

Continuing on from my previous thread, thought I'd post the update here.

So a couple of BOSS waza pedals arrived today, just spent a couple of hours with them.

So the BOSS delay isn't working that well for me in the loop; the lack of 'level,' means that there's no real control over the volume of the repeats. As mentioned, for some reason the volume of the repeats is much less in the loop.

The BOSS chorus however, is very, very good. I tend to mark gear with not only how they initially sound, but the places they take me when playing. The Chorus in this case, has that mojo to it. Seems to work really well alongside the VOX Timemachine in the loop. Bypassed, it sounds slightly better than the MXR Chorus, though the buffered tone is altered slightly its acceptable to my ears, and has none of the high end suck of the MXR Chorus when bypassed.

The Chorus effect itself is so good with high gain. It does alter the tone more than the MXR but adds something also, if that makes sense. There's a switch to lessen the alteration of the tone, which helps but also lessens the chorus. Both settings are nice though, in their own individual way. With cleans, its very subtle and it would be nice if there was a mix or level control to alter this. But does sound good nonetheless. Those who want their chorus tone completely 'pure,' so not altering their original tone as such may not like it.

Its got mojo as far as I'm concerned. Chorus lovers should check this pedal ASAP.

Have an Electric Mistress in the post, will give an update.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    matttornado, bullhead and Kutt like this.
  2. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I can identify here too. I had the DM-2W briefly but returned it pretty quickly. I like dirty repeats but the white noise on those dirty repeats was something I couldn't get accustomed to. DM-2 aficionados see it as part of the magic but not me. I actually much prefer the DM-2 emulator on the DD-7 (Analog mode). Sweet dirty repeats without the white noise.

The Waza chorus is indeed very good as you noted. That one was was a keeper. BOSS choruses are my favorite.

matttornado and giblesp like this.
  3. giblesp

Yes, the waza chorus is a good one for sure.

I wanted the waza delay to also be the one, it just isn't for me. Really hope BOSS do a waza DD-7, reverb and purple flanger!

Very impressed with the buffers on the waza.

4. johan.b

johan.b Well-Known Member

The DM2 is from an age before loops.
    Look here for how it can be used...

I go back and forth between before amp or in the loop.. there is a bit of magic using it before the amp and a certain sound you can get no other way.
    J

giblesp likes this.
  5. giblesp

I'd love to give the Echoplex a go. It sounds a lot cleaner than the BOSS waza. Understand what you are saying, but for the delay repeats hitting the tubes gets a bit messy in higher gain settings. Nice in clean though.

6. giblesp

Electric Mistress came today, so I've spent a few hours experimenting.

First off, I'm feeling the BOSS Waza Delay now. Those repeats get so warm, they are mouth watering. But here's the surprising thing, I'm finding that both BOSS pedals in the chain as opposed to just one, degrades the bypassed signal. So one BOSS and a total bypass pedal works well. Two BOSSs, not as well. That could be down to having two buffered pedals in the chain, as opposed to just one.

The Electric Flanger is a lovely pedal and sounds good enough bypassed. But there's another surprise, which those familiar with the pedal will probably already know. It lowers the volume and thins the tone slightly. So if you want to go Andy Summers, you'll need a compressor. The JVM I find to be a thick sounding amp that doesn't need compression. But with the EM on, compression is needed for the sounds I want. The BOSS chorus is a thick sounding pedal, especially in CE 1 mode. No compression needed. So when I'm going into Police territory, the BOSS Chorus is actually better than the EM by itself. Very surprising.

The BOSS delay and EM sound good, as does the BOSS delay and MXR Black Label Chorus. But so far, the best bypass signal and most versatile sounding pedals are the Vox Timemachine plus BOSS Waza Chorus.