>

Boss Tube Amp Expander help

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by Guitarman1996, Mar 12, 2021.

1. Guitarman1996

Guitarman1996 Member

Not for me it didn’t, I just selected what ohms my cab was running at.

2. playloud

playloud Member

Technically, I believe the TAE takes care of matching the cab impedance to the TAE output impedance automatically. You only have to worry about matching the amp's impedance setting to the one on the TAE. You may also find that switching to the 16ohm impedance setting (head + TAE) produces less clipping. Better explained by this guy: https://www.taesource.com/2020/06/input-sigpeak-light-going-red.html

It isn't quite like that. The TAE receives the "speaker out", so the (tube) power amp's tone is part of the signal chain (the TAE wouldn't be able to 'neutralize' it if it wanted to!) I tested this when I first got it by changing out the power tubes in one of my combos - the sound changed as expected.

thunderkyss and Guitarman1996 like this.
  3. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Active Member

I meant have you tried to use the 16 ohm output of your amp with the 16 ohm setting on the TAE to see if the clipping issue goes away. Same for the 4 ohm setting.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  4. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Active Member

Right. I was just trying to say it isn't acting like an attenuator at all. Guitarman1996 however is well aware of that since he said it's more like re-amping.