BOSS Pedals - Mods, Info and More

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by Micky, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

Found the DSD-2/3 Service Manual.
    Looks like quite the circuit.
    Check the link in the 1st post...

2. atarilovesyou

atarilovesyou Active Member

I'm not sure why they don't just release an update of that book already, they could do it thenselves and really have a great coffee table hardcover.

I love Boss, it was my first pedal. I have a bunch now but traded all my originals. I still have a few I would like to get and am hoping the Waza line keeps alive. I'd live to see a Waza Digital Metalizer! Newer ones I would like are the Synth pedal and the Waza Metal Zone. I don't mod any pedals, let alone Boss.

SkyMonkey likes this.
  3. dragonvalve

dragonvalve Well-Known Member

With everyone not making money selling stuff just to get money don't see how things get sold. But things are going up price since there is feeling that things won't get back to normal including the manufacture of almost everything "non-essential." So whatever was made pre-lock down may be the last of the Mohicans ever made. :cool:

4. dragonvalve

dragonvalve Well-Known Member

These are not easy to find.

[​IMG]

I don't mod pedals either. With so many interface options, you can add something in the chain to get what you want without tearing up a vintage pedal.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  5. Carlos G

Carlos G Active Member

I love Boss pedals! I have the compressor, the ds1, the overdirive/distortion, DD3, chorus, flanger, loop station and the reverb, I enjoy the chorus very much, but the one I find a lot of use for is the EQ pedal GE 7, there's so much you can do with it! On the other side, the compressor/sustainer can be great but sometimes not very easy to dial for me.

Mitchell Pearrow and Kutt like this.
  6. dslman

dslman Well-Known Member

You need a flare red RG550 to go with this one. That pedal looks awesome , no matter what it sounds like.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  7. dslman

dslman Well-Known Member

8. dslman

dslman Well-Known Member

This is a great video, I did a bunch of mods with the help of HotTubes a while back, and it was amazing how he knew how each change would effect the tone.
    I wonder how the Waza SD-1 sounds in person. I need a SD-1.

Mitchell Pearrow and SkyMonkey like this.
  9. dslman

dslman Well-Known Member

I found the OD-3 to be more digital, not as organic sounding, when compared to the SD-1, so I sold it to my bass player.

10. Micky

I already have a modded SD-1, and it is awesome.
    The OD-3 should be just as good if left stock.
    The Interwebs say there is nothing that it needs.
    I am SO looking forward to trying the OD-3...

11. dslman

dslman Well-Known Member

Yes, that's why I had my hopes up on the OD-3 also.
    Mine was stock , from what I could tell, but IME, it wasn't as good as a stock , or modded SD-1.
    It's all subjective,but maybe I'll ask him to let me sample it some more.
    I'm inbetween SD-1's right now,so I need/want another, even though I've had many in the past...LOL

Mitchell Pearrow and Micky like this.
  12. Micky

One of the most interesting and informative single posts is #2 of this thread, by @JohnH . He modded an SD-1 and provided an in-depth analysis of the results. That single post is the one by which all others should be judged. The ONLY thing I could have done to improve that post is possibly include some photos or a component layout.

I used a 5532 op-amp in my mod, which significantly lowered the noise floor on my SD-1. Since I generally use it as a 'clean boost' I don't even begin to explore the tonal possibilities of this pedal, but I needed something that was ultra quiet.

I also used a 5532 in my GE-7, which ironically I use for a 'clean boost', which frees up my SD-1 for other overdriven tones. We shall see...

Mitchell Pearrow, dslman and JohnH like this.
  13. dslman

dslman Well-Known Member

HT70 helped me do a bunch of those mods also. I have a layout of all the things I tried, I think I went through two modded SD-1's , while always comparing them to a stock old MIJ unit.
    I'm suprised the OD-3 gets so much love, even JohnH liked it.

14. dslman

dslman Well-Known Member

15. Micky

I think all the OD-3 love comes from the basic way it is designed.
    Rather than hard-edged op-amps, it uses FET's for its gain stages, and I think that is what might tend to give the pedal a greater bass response and a mid scoop. It might just sound more natural to some, but I need to see that for myself.

I also have the OD-1x, which is a definite digital overdrive, using new DSP technology to deliver a much more aggressive distortion to the overdrive. Not much to improve on this one either IMHO.

16. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member

So you're digging the OD-1X Micky? That one is next on my radar.

Attached Files:

17. Nik Henville

Nik Henville Well-Known Member

Eastern Seaboard, the nook-shotten isle of Albion
    The DC-3 is a great chorus (albeit quite subtle...) plus the signal splitting is mega useful...
    But for me the DC-2 aka "Dimension C" was different in a way which made it better - especially in 'stereo'.
    However - until I can find one "cheap", I am happy with my old analogue Schaller RotorSound :cool:

:hippie::pirate::uk:

18. dslman

dslman Well-Known Member

Yes

19. dslman

dslman Well-Known Member

That does describe the OD-3 pedal pretty well, bassy, and scooped in comparison to the SD-1.
    Perhaps I just wanted it to sound more like the SD-1, and it was just different.
    I'm gonna go by the music store today and have a looksie for a yellow box.

Mitchell Pearrow and Micky like this.
  20. Micky

After I got the OD-1x, I put it on my big board and basically forgot about it. I took my little board upstairs to use for the winter and left it downstairs. I am almost ready to do an overdrive shootout, to try and figure out what goes where. My little board has room for 3 pedals so the OD I choose has to have a bit of distortion as well, that is one reason I picked up and modded the BOSS OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion. I used the Fromel kit for that one, but I dunno if it is gonna be quiet enough.

So if I do an Overdrive Shootout what parameters do you guys think I ought to be looking at for a fair comparison? Noise floor is MOST important to me...