BOSS OD 200. I'm sold.

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by mtm105, Oct 21, 2021.

1. mtm105

mtm105 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I had MD 200 and I thought it SUCKED tone. I got rid of it 2 weeks after purchase. My review is likely subjective because of this. I had concern OD 200 would suck, too. I don't think it does. I have OD 20 which isn't bad, but I can only get 2-3 workable tones. I also have Tonebone HotBrit on board in case I want to loose BOSS. The BOSS is buffer/true bypass. OD 20 not so much.

OD 200 is combination digital and analogue. I guess BOSS classics are all analogue. I like X-Drive, which I imagine is digital. (It has that digital feel on the strings when I play, which I hate and love at same time.) The unique selling point of this pedal is that you can stack two of the ODs/Distortions, one before or after original OD/Distortion to tweak your own tone. BOOST function gives you an option not available with BOSS classics.

Noise gate is SUPERIOR. Now I've got 3 in my line. I'm not a distortion fan, nor tubescream. However, this pedal does tubescream and fuzz rather well. And Klon is spot on, which you can argue pays for the pedal alone.

The operational parameters are both good and bad. Good because it's rather simplistic, bad because as soon as you switch from one OD to another, all your settings are lost, noisegate and stack volumes. (Digital display allows you at least to write down settings.) After 2 or 3 decades of corksniffing, maybe think about getting back to BOSS with this pedal. It's where a LOT of recordings and performances have stood out over time. Jeff Beck had an original OD-1 and painted it black so no one knew what it was. Joe Walsh is almost all BOSS.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
  2. fitz288

fitz288 Well-Known Yinzer Silver Supporting Member

Very tempted by these 200 series pedals - kinda held back my GAS by the cash outlay required.
    Was thinking about pairing with the MD-200 & EQ-200.
    But now that you said the MD-200 was a return in 2 weeks, not so sure about the trio idea.
    Thanks for the feedback.

StrummerJoe and Old Punker like this.
  3. Old Punker

Old Punker Well-Known Member

That looks way too complex for a minimalist like me, although I do like the classic BOSS pedals.

I just bought the iconic OD pedals that were used in the music of my youth (SD-1, BD-2, DOD 250, OD 808, RAT), and usually use them as a boost.

Scallywag77, StrummerJoe and fitz288 like this.
  4. mtm105

mtm105 Well-Known Member

Don't take my word about MD 200. I'm sure someone somewhere with better qualifications than I has it on their board. One review said brittle and lifeless. I agree.
    I like Mods with parametric EQ, which I did not have at the time.

I struggle with BOSS 7 band EQ. It sits in a box. Many swear by it. I unloaded Parametric EQ, and I regret it. Today it sells for a lot of $$.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    Old Punker, StrummerJoe and fitz288 like this.
  5. TheToneDig

TheToneDig Well-Known Member

When you get these swiss army knife pedals you are counting on a few tools making it worth it all. The rest extras that someday you might get some use out of.

6. mtm105

mtm105 Well-Known Member

4 tones into memory, it's not too complex (5 including manual). It can then go into 128 presets, after original 4 which is operated by switch. 128 is operated by black memory button.

Who in the world needs 128?? 9 or 10 tops.

Old Punker and StrummerJoe like this.
  7. mtm105

mtm105 Well-Known Member

I would argue also going into a venue it might sound great in one place, and sucky in another. Then you would opt for another tone.

8. StrummerJoe

StrummerJoe Well-Known Member

BOSS makes killer stuff. Very few duds.

Congrats on the new gizmo!

Prince was a fine guitar player that used BOSS pedals exclusively.

9. Ken Ops

Ken Ops Active Member

I’m personally not a fan of digital effects except where they’re absolutely required (e.g., reverb beyond spring). And digital OD/dist/fuzz in particular .. not for me.

But hey, if it works for you, then it obviously doesn’t matter what I think anyway. To each their own.

Out of curiosity, any chance of some audio/video?

mtm105 and Edgar Frog like this.
  10. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Oh God!!
    I have the OD-20 too and can sympathise with it's limitations.
    I'm not averse to digital at all, and the OD-20 can do so much more with the space on my board than the two pedal spaces it takes up.
    But the OD-200 is so much smaller, and has a noise gate too (that would take me to 3 on the board inc. the Zoom ZNR).
    If the OD-200 MT-2 emulation could beat my actual MT-2 (into the FX Return via an LS-2) then that's another 2 spaces free!!!
    The only downside with an OD-200 for me is the lack of 'Amp Control' to switch my 2-channel VS65R.

Here's a Pedal Playground sim of my board (they don't have an OD-20 or Donner Looper) showing the size difference:

Capture.JPG

11. mtm105

mtm105 Well-Known Member

There is X OD, X-Dist and X-Metal. I'm taking an educated guess that they are digital. And maybe some other parameters inside like memory.

Fuzz, Scream and Klon could be all analogue, along with BOSS variations.

SkyMonkey likes this.