Boss Katana Thoughts..........

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by Ufoscorpion, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

Tried a Boss Katana at my local guitar store recently and it to be honest sounded shit . Anyone else out there tried one out and have any thoughts ? Heard such good things and at the price thought it would make a good low volume practice amp that would save wearing out the old Marshall's .wrong , sounds crap .

2. Trident

Trident Well-Known Member

Feel the same way, I would keep searching.

3. KraftyBob

KraftyBob Well-Known Member

I don't know about the Boss Katana but I've heard a lot of good things about the Yamaha THR10 if you're looking for a practice amp.

rick16v and JacksonCharvelAddict like this.
  4. saxon68

saxon68 Well-Known Member

I liked my 50 combo:

I’ve got a 100 head now as my backup.
    Check out “sneaky amps” it’s basically an unlock for what’s really available in the amp.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  5. Garrett

Garrett Well-Known Member

I have the 50 combo.

It's a good practice amp. I've never been a fan of the stock overdrive tone. Plug it in to a PC and you have a huge amount of options. And the sneaky amps do offer a lot for tonal variations. It is flexible.

I replaced the stock speaker, also helped. But the combo lacks bass. I haven't modded the speaker wiring to plug it into the 4x12.

Haven't played the Kat much since I picked up a 333XL, the Bugera actually does great at low volume.

I paid $179 for the Kat new. Some pedals go for more. For the price point it's a good value. The amp itself has pretty good feel and response, but not a tube amp feel. Try to get to a guitar store that has one and give it a try.

MichaelRT, a forum member and talented player, has done a few demo videos with the Kat's.

Mitchell Pearrow and saxon68 like this.
  6. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

If I had to put into words then I would say the Katana totally lacked punch , bite and clarity .

7. saxon68

saxon68 Well-Known Member

The sound in my clip above wasn’t good enough for you to practice with?

There’s a ton of guys gigging with them.

Yeah it’s not a Marshall but plenty good enough to practice or be a backup. What do you expect for 200-350 bucks? That’s half the cost of a DSL combo

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  8. BowerR64

BowerR64 Well-Known Member

Top loaded controls is a deal breaker for me unless you can lay the thing over and use it like a head like you can the Mustang.

Ive never had a combo sound good on the floor in a position they thing these would work where the controls were convenient to use. If an amp is down below the ear it wont sound clear tilting it back against a wall works great but again how do you control it? you constantly have to tip it back and forth.

Ide actually get a mustang just because i could use it sit it up on something and actually use the top mounted controls

Mustang-V-MotionSound-Small.jpg

9. GrahamL

GrahamL Well-Known Member

10. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

I have the Katana mini and think it's a great little practice, battery, hotel room amp. Sounds pretty damn good and gets lots of use......100 bux brand new.

11. Trident

Trident Well-Known Member

@ Graham L...
    Those Bugeras might not be liked by many but they sure do pack a punch, I tried the 5-20 and a few others and the I snagged a 1960 inf and the 20w G20 and they sure are little monsters... Cheap and not bad for what ya get..
    I think they have come quite a ways and to me the 1960 is close to a PLEXI... or @ least to my ears..

12. bobpick68

bobpick68 Well-Known Member

Gigged a Katana head for almost 2 years off and on and have also backlined shows with it. Have had touring Pro's tell me they loved it. Great lil amp at any price point. Again ya gotta know how to dial em. To me mine reminds me of a single ended amp the way I dial it but with very little sag, which I like BTW. Nothing turns me off more than a tube amp that sounds like it's puking on itself and that's what sag sounds and feels like to me. One of the reasons I loved the DSL40C I played through was tight tube sound.

13. Mystic38

Mystic38 Well-Known Member

demoing this at GC will kill you.. the stock presets imo suck

you need to plug it into the PC and get the sneaky amps stuff.. then spend time dialing it in with the fx you like.. but put it into perspective its not a lot of cash for a solid practice amp (at least)

14. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Active Member

Sold my Katana 100 to replenish funds spent on my DSL40C.

I think the 100 is a great amp, especially for the money. Just have to tinker with it a bit. Build quality is excellent, and I found that it was best to set the amp to "Crunch" and just leave it. Sucker is loud, too, and with pedals, it goes from good to excellent.

I will say that there are some rather infuriating oversights, especially regarding effects. You'd think that the Boss would be the best option for effects; you'd be wrong. The Fender Mustang V2 series stomps the Katana in that area.

15. rick16v

rick16v Well-Known Member

I only tried it in a shop but wasn't impressed. I bought one of the 10w Yamahas. Really good practice amp.

Mitchell Pearrow and KraftyBob like this.
  16. AllanAnd

AllanAnd Member

I’ve tried a couple of Katana combos - didn’t really bond with the Kat 50 or 100... Too harsh for my ears...

The Artist, however, was love at first chord!!! Hugely different from the cheaper ones!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  17. Steven Howes

Steven Howes Member

I've never tried one but I have a line 6 amplifi. kinda the same type of device. the stock sounds all sound like crap. The cleans are OK but want any metal sounds all you get are boxes and boxes of bees.

Like an above comment said, they are flexible. you can get what ever sound you want out of it, you just need to take a bit of time to figure out what sounds good. When I got mine it was a good fit. I had no pedals, no amp so getting an all in one device made sense. I still use it in the living room, my tube amp with cab and pedal board just takes up to much floor space.

18. Rockcity

Rockcity Active Member

"I replaced the stock speaker, also helped. But the combo lacks bass. I haven't modded the speaker wiring to plug it into the 4x12..."
    I will never understand buying and talking good about amp when you took and and modified it... like "Chinese Les Paul Custom is great! I changed the pickups to Wizz, tuners to Kluson tulips, switch to Switchcraft, pots to CTS, wiring to RS..."
    Yes, I tried Boss Katana. If you want good solid state Marshall sound for a buck you can not beat Marshall MOSFET. Or even Fifty Split Channel or Lead Master combo

19. JBA

JBA Well-Known Member

Well, If you take an artist or k100 head, plug in your laptop (yes it's like vist to the dentist for some of us) then add a few db at 60hz with a Q of .5 then add a few db at 10khz with Q of 1 you will be approximating the effect of speaker impedance on a tube output stage (this effect is a big part of what many associate with a nice warm tube sound). Next play your amp this way and proceed to play something like a DSL40c with familiar/descent speaker like a V30 or creamback in it. Then have a beer and realize you honestly don't know which is better. There is always a kicker and it will be when you play either of these rigs live and the sound guy already has high and low cut filters setup to remove everything you love about your sound so your band doesn't sound like _rap. Oops, lost a "c" back there. ;-)

20. Satchmodog

Satchmodog Member

I wanted a practice amp with a 212 set up, PC access and ability to change tones and have some built in effects, so I looked and there was nothing but the Code, blackstar ID two, ID core and Katana to really choose from with the parameters I had. Well, the ID core was just not for me and it just lacked a realistic tone. Next was the ID tvp amp and it was freaking glorious. It sounded and acted like a real valve amp and had all the features. It was also 650 bucks, double any other amp in that class. The code is just a heap of poo, so well just leave it at that. The Katana had some good tones, excellent interface and all the effects, but it lacked the depth of sound the ID tvp 260 had. It just also started to sound a bit fake the louder it got. I wound up with the blackstar ID 260 tvp and it cost valve amp money and it's 50 pounds. It also has a shit interface. Had I known they'd not support android I may have passed on the amp.
    For sound it can't be beat, for price and bling, the Katana wins. I just do think the Katana sounds a bit thin and weak. If I were 16 again, I'd be all over the Boss, however.