Boss Katana Head - What are they smoking over there????

PowerTube44

Reaction score
I looked into the Boss Katana Head a few years ago. I tried the combo at Guitar Center and it sounded very decent, plus I know I can dial in some killer sounds using their software.

But there is one thing about the head that is a total and complete deal breaker for me:

It has ONE speaker out. WHY?????

Even the Artist COMBO has two speaker jacks, but the heads? Only one.

I run two 4x12's with my current Marshall, a 1960A and a Carvin 4x12. If I were to get the Katana head, am I supposed to put one of the cabs in storage?

What am I missing here?

RLW59

Reaction score
I've had several amps that only have one output jack (one had a single 4 ohm jack, a single 8 ohm jack, and a single 16 ohm jack, but you could only use one at a time).

I don't know why manufacturers do that, but it's not just Boss.
---------------------------
But amps with one jack aren't any stupider than cabs with only jack (or multiple inputs that can't be used as outputs).

Many/most cabs have parallel jacks. Run a cable from your amp to one cab, run a cable from the second jack on that cab to your second cab.

Marshall insists on giving us either single jack cabs, or cabs with switching jackplates with multiple jacks that can't be used for daisy-chaining. What are they smoking -- far more people would chain cabs together than run stereo through a single cab.
----------------------
A box, 3 jacks, a few inches of wire, 6 drops of solder lets you connect 2 cabs to one amp even if the cabs and amp all just have single jacks. (Box can be wired for series or parallel depending on your needs.) You can buy splitter boxes or make them yourself.

You can also buy or make a splitter cable, either parallel or series.

(I prefer splitter boxes over Y cables because they're more durable and you can use different length speaker cables for different applications.)

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A box, 3 jacks, a few inches of wire, 6 drops of solder lets you connect 2 cabs to one amp even if the cabs and amp all just have single jacks. (Box can be wired for series or parallel depending on your needs.) You can buy splitter boxes or make them yourself.

You can also buy or make a splitter cable, either parallel or series.
^^^ Here's the solution. ^^^
But why there's a need is indeed baffling.
The cost of a couple more jacks in the original amp design would be negligible.

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
I would think they would have at least 2 for running 2 cabs in stereo like the Fender Mustangs have since it's a modeler with I'm assuming stereo effects capability's. I'm growing away from modelers so not really familiar with features on some of the newer things like the Katana's.

saxon68

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I looked into the Boss Katana Head a few years ago. I tried the combo at Guitar Center and it sounded very decent, plus I know I can dial in some killer sounds using their software.

But there is one thing about the head that is a total and complete deal breaker for me:

I run two 4x12's with my current Marshall, a 1960A and a Carvin 4x12. If I were to get the Katana head, am I supposed to put one of the cabs in storage?

What am I missing here?
Your back will thank them. That carvin cab is likely heavy as hell!!!

Vinsanitizer

Double Platinum Supporting Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
...But there is one thing about the head that is a total and complete deal breaker for me:

What am I missing here?

Can you connect your two cabs in series and stuff?

iu

Vinsanitizer

VIP Member
Reaction score
I think cabs should all have parallel outs and 2 jacks on them. Easy to do. I have no idea why that isn't done.
Totally agree. But in this case it might be the only option as long as the impedance matches up, which correct me if I be wrong:

Normally an amp has two outputs and if you ran two 16 Ohm cabs the total impedance is 8.
However, in a series situation, 8 Ohms + 8 Ohms is still 8 Ohms - am I correct or nah? (I know some Marshall cabs had inputs and outputs to pass the signal from one speaker to another in series. Don't know if that's still a thing.)

Last edited:

RLW59

Reaction score
Totally agree. Bu in this case it might be the only option as long as the impedance matches up, which correct me if I be wrong:

Normally an amp has two outputs and if you ran two 16 Ohm cabs the total impedance is 8.
However, in a series situation, 8 Ohms + 8 Ohms is still 8 Ohms - am I correct or nah? (I know some Marshall cabs had inputs and outputs to pass the signal from one speaker to another in series. Don't know if that's still a thing.)

No, 8 + 8 in series is 16 ohms.

When combining same impedance speakers, parallel cuts the impedance in half, series doubles it.

The Marshall 2x12 cabs with switching jack plates have 8 ohm speakers and let you use both the speakers together in series, (mono) or use one speaker by itself ("stereo" -- if you use two amps each connected to a different speaker), thus giving the option of 16 ohms using both speakers, or 8 ohms if you only use one speaker in the cab.

Marshall 4x12's with switching jackplates use 16 ohm speakers, and let you choose all 4 in parallel for 4 ohms, all 4 in series/parallel for 16 ohms, or 2 speakers in parallel for 8 ohms.

No Marshall cab that I'm aware of lets you hook one cab directly to another cab. Back in the day they had single jacks, nowadays they have switching jackplates with multiple input jacks (but none of the jacks can be used as an output to another cab).

Cabs that have two jacks to allow daisy-chaining cabs together almost always have parallel jacks so the cabs are connected in parallel.

(A daisy chain can be series or parallel -- but with speaker cabs it's almost always parallel.)

Last edited:

Vinsanitizer

VIP Member
Reaction score
No, 8 + 8 in series is 16 ohms.

When combining same impedance speakers, parallel cuts the impedance in half, series doubles it.

The Marshall 2x12 cabs with switching jack plates have 8 ohm speakers and let you use both the speakers together in series, (mono) or use one speaker by itself ("stereo" -- if you use two amps each connected to a different speaker), thus giving the option of 16 ohms using both speakers, or 8 ohms if you only use one speaker in the cab.

Marshall 4x12's with switching jackplates use 16 ohm speakers, and let you choose all 4 in parallel for 4 ohms, all 4 in series/parallel for 16 ohms, or 2 speakers in parallel for 8 ohms.

No Marshall cab that I'm aware of lets you hook one cab directly to another cab. Back in the day they had single jacks, nowadays they have switching jackplates with multiple input jacks (but none of the jacks can be used as an output to another cab).

Cabs that have two jacks to allow daisy-chaining cabs together almost always have parallel jacks so the cabs are connected in parallel.

(A daisy chain can be series or parallel -- but with speaker cabs it's almost always parallel.)
Thanks, I knew it was something like that.

ssolo8

Reaction score

What am I missing here?
Just get a Palmer cab merger like I did! Best 50 bucks I ever spent. Now I can run anything with anything. Two cabs for my Kat head, and even two 4 ohm cabs with my tube monsters. My life Rocks!!

Solid State

Reaction score
i thought it was weird too. They brought out the MKIIs and instead of giving them stereo outputs they decided to build tech around running two HEADS in stereo, I guess hoping you'd buy more than one.

idw357

Reaction score

What am I missing here?
I know this is an old post, but another forum member told me about Radial Engineering’s Cab-Link. It allows you to mix two similar ohmed cabs serially or in parallel into a head. I run two 8 ohm cabs into the cab link and connect the MKII to the parallel jack, putting 16 ohms into the head, which it’s designed to handle.

idw357

Reaction score
Oo
I know this is an old post, but another forum member told me about Radial Engineering’s Cab-Link. It allows you to mix two similar ohmed cabs serially or in parallel into a head. I run two 8 ohm cabs into the cab link and connect the MKII to the parallel jack, putting 16 ohms into the head, which it’s designed to handle.
CORRECTION: I use the Series jack, so it’s two 8 ohm cabs resulting in 16 ohms to the MKII. You could join two 16 ohm cabs in parallel to get 8 ohms going to the head.

Latest posts