Boosting TSL 602

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by sroberts5150, Feb 20, 2021.

1. sroberts5150

sroberts5150 Member Silver Supporting Member

Hi All
    Ive got a TSL 602, with my usual FX going thru the loop. My Spark Booster is not boosting. It does fine thru my DSL, but not the TSL 602. I've tried another boost as well, to no avail. I've tried the plus db and minus db switch as well. Thoughts?

2. sroberts5150

Anyone? Bueller? Fry?

3. MKIII900

MKIII900 Member

I believe the TSL60's and the DSL's have a different loop. Your TSL may be parallel in which case boosting either out front or trying to volume boost in the loop might react differently than the DSL. Pretty sure the DSL has a serial or switchable loop and the the TSL 60 has a parallel loop.

4. MKIII900

MKIII900 Member

Marshall TSL 60 Owners Manual:

“Your TSL combo amp is fitted with a parallel FX Loop, this is placed after the gain and distortion parts of the preamp and is the ideal place for inserting time varying effects, such as delay, digital reverb, chorus, pitch shifting, etc. By being a parallel loop, this means that the direct signal is kept within the TSL’s circuit and therefore your tone is not degraded by sending it outside the amp. To use the loop connect your effects processor (rack type units are better at this job) as described earlier, turn the effects units direct signal path off (the FX units manual will tell you how to do this), set up the unit to give you the effect you require and then balance your direct sound and effected sound using the FX MIX control on the front of your amp. Easy!
    Floor type effects stomp boxes are designed to work in between a guitar and the input of an amp and should not be used in a parallel loop, otherwise some very weird and undesired effects could occur. For their best use, use them where they are designed to go.”

I don't believe that last paragraph as gospel. Stompboxes work fine in a serial loop. A bunch of stomps will work fine in a parallel loop too but it can be a pain to sort out. I had the same problem with my older Dual Rectos. Parallel loop. Was useless to me at the time cause I didnt have anything like a TC G system and most of my pedals sounded pretty bad though it.
    There isnt any reason why your boost shouldn't be working out front though. It might still sound different than the DSL cause your other pedals arent reacting the same way. If you are just trying to juice the preamp tubes then that should be doing the same trick as it does on the DSL if the pedal is between your guitar and amp.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  5. sroberts5150

Thanks so much all. Didn't realize the differences. I'll try boost out front!

6. sroberts5150

weird. doesn't work in front either. It's a good unit, works great on the DSL

7. MKIII900

MKIII900 Member

With your DSL the boost is probably interacting with your other pedals in a way that it won't in a parallel loop or in front. If you take everything else out of the loop and just use the boost pedal between the guitar and amp it should work the same way no matter amp you use.

Boosts basically simulate a higher output pickup slamming the front end of an amp to make it distort more if used properly. If you are using your boost pedals in the loop of the DSL, I'd change your approach to boosting. Or just move your whole pedalboard out front.
    You arent actually boosting the preamp with your boosts in the loop. You are just boosting your other pedals and maybe getting a volume increase, which isnt the same thing.

To put it simply, If you normally use your whole pedalboard with your boosts in the loop of your DSL it makes perfect sense that it wouldn't react the same way either in the loop or in front of your TSL.

The tone you are getting with the DSL probably has more to do with the way your boost is working with the other pedals than how they are working with the amp itself if you have them in the loop with all your other pedals.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  8. sroberts5150

Thanks MK
    I'm just going to use the red channel as a boost for the TSL. Don't wanna reinvent the wheel here. Thanks for the info!

9. sroberts5150

Ok, I need to know how others have boosted their TSL's!!